Tiny house movement

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by wldywall, Aug 6, 2014.

1. a2z

a2z Maven

Aug 9, 2014

OK, the bed comment confused me. I'm only used to traditional beds. What kind do you have that will roll or smoosh.

2. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2014

We got a temper pedic style bed for our son on ebay. Instead of it coming as a whole bed it came as a series of toppers. It was all rolled up into a space back and we just had to unzip it, it exploded out of the bag! :lol:

Sleep number beds are like a puzzle, they break apart into their individual components, problem is they can be hard to put back together.

3. a2z

a2z Maven

Aug 9, 2014

LOL The exploding mattress!

Thanks for the info.

4. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Aug 10, 2014

I can't stop watching the tiny spaces videos..i am addicted :D

It really makes me appreciate my 2 bedroom condo even more..especially bcuz I live alone and have 4 rooms and a large bathroom & deck all to myself.

But I have to say, I am fascinated by the 200 & 300 sq ft (or less even) apartments inparticular that people live in and make work.

Some are even smaller..its crazy!

5. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2014

We live in a 3500 sq ft 5 bedroom 3 bath house and it was fine when we had 3 teenagers at home who always had several friends over at any given time. Now that they are growing up and moving out it is too much. I have 2 bedrooms that look like storage units because they have little or no furniture and stuff stored in them from their previous occupants. I still have one daughter at home but she is 23 and just graduated from college so in the next year or so her room will also look like the storage units occupied by her brother and sister. I am so tempted when she moves out to rent 3 storage units for each of them, sell this huge house, have a huge garage sale, and move with DH into a tiny home.

6. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Aug 10, 2014

Lately, I've been the same way--on camper vans. There are videos of men (and women) who live out of their van! Obviously, there is a fine-line between keeping your outward respect and dignity, and being the creep from Silence of the Lambs. I personally think it is a cool (temporary) idea, to learn to live like that, and the videos people put up about it--make me want to try it for a week. Or more.

7. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 10, 2014

My parents build a 3500 sq ft. home when they moved - my mom's dream house. It was just them and my brother. My brother has moved out and they now live upstairs (3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms, living room and kitchen) and they turned the main floor into 2 rental apartments - a 1 bdrm and a 2 bdrm.

8. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Aug 10, 2014

That's a great idea. If I had a set up to rent out a room I would. Its a great way to bring in extra cash and use the space as well:)

9. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Sep 8, 2014

I got to tour two tiny home concepts today at IKEA in Detroit.....more in love with the idea then ever.

My sister got a case of the twitches and has declared me nuts when I said I preferred the 220 sq ft model over the 560 sq ft model.

LOL :D

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 8, 2014

I've been watching the show Tiny House Nation lately & it's interesting. I'd never do it though.