Tinnitus and hearing woman

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Irishdave, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Dec 29, 2009

Went to an ENT today for Tinnitus and general ear stuff. Well I have it. LOL
    Let me see what caused it? Hmmm ear infections, working with machines for 34 years, rock n roll, age, etc.
    My Hearing is at the borderline I could get a hearing aid but it is not necessary yet. I am low in the high range hard to hear woman and little kids, (now it is documented that I can't hear women, Now I have an excuse why I didn't hear any of my ex-wives)
    To drown out the ringing I have to sleep with "white noise," recordings of rain, a brook & ocean waves work along with the radio.

It is not a pretty thing getting old

[​IMG]

3. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Dec 29, 2009

Irish Dave, I have tinnitus and upper range hearing loss as well. The nice thing about growing older, though, is that you can commiserate and get away with it! :p

I have a harder time hearing women than men as well. Too bad my wife is a native ASL signer! :lol:

4. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Dec 29, 2009

I can also tell my daughter in law I can't hear her, My son can't yet :toofunny:

5. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

Dec 29, 2009

It's not just for old folks, I have had tinnitus since I was in my mid 20's and hearing loss. I have been wearing hearing aids for the past few years (I just turned 40).

6. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Dec 30, 2009

teacherfan, I was just kidding about the older thing. :p I know plenty of young and middle-aged Deaf and Hard of Hearing people. My wife and I are very active in the Deaf community here.

7. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Dec 30, 2009

I think not being able to hear my mom is the reason why my dad refuses to go get a hearing aid, to be honest. lol

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 30, 2009

My mom had an elderly aunt. (A nun, as it turns out, who wore her full to-the-ground habit until she died in her mid 90's.) For my entire lifetime, sister was hard of hearing.

She dealt with it by saying: "Is that so??" It really did get her out of most situations.

"Sister, Steve's wife is expecting a baby."
    "Is that so??"

"Sister, your flight home (to Minnesota) has been delayed."
    "Is that so??"

"Sister, we're having chicken for dinner."
    "Is that so??"

9. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 30, 2009

The tinnitus, for me, is worse than deafness. If I go without my hearing aid for period of time, the tinnitus kicks in and it bugs the fire out of me. I can handle the peaceful quiet. I can't handle the roaring and ringing.

Alice, that cracks me up. I do something similar. I watch people's facial expressions and general body language and decide what kind of noncommittal answer I need to give until I can pick up on something I can latch onto and respond to in my own length, "I got a story" reply.

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 30, 2009

Most of us do something like that, cutNglue: we just don't always know or admit to it.

11. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Dec 30, 2009

My MIL does the same thing. I never realized it until now.