Timing for Romeo and Juliet?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by JSIJ, Aug 26, 2012.

1. JSIJ

JSIJ Rookie

Aug 26, 2012

How long would you spend on it? This is my first year teaching high school (coming from Kindergarten) so the pacing is really tough for me to get a handle on...

3. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 26, 2012

You can spend between three and four weeks on it. Remember, you don't want to spend every minute of every period on one thing--aim for three instructional "moves" in a period, even if it's as simple as a warm-up with grammar or vocab or some journaling.

4. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 26, 2012

Exactly what Mrs. K said. Last year I saw my kids every other day and we spent about 4 weeks on Taming of the Shrew. But we also did grammar, vocab, and writing in with that too.

This year I'll spend 2-3 weeks on Macbeth with my AP kids and 3-4 weeks with my CP kids. (It's an add on text for AP since they didn't do it over the summer)

5. 1cubsfan

1cubsfan Companion

Aug 27, 2012

I taught Romeo and Juliet at the end of last year. It took exactly three weeks, and we went through it very quickly (because it was the end of the year). I could have easily spent another week on it, but there were only two days left in the school year!

6. rbschreiber@gma

rbschreiber@gma Rookie

Sep 4, 2012

Wow, taught R&J for the first time last year and - with coaching from my team who has been teaching it for years - we spent a lot longer on it. I don't have my calendar in front of me, but it was closer to 2 months (with interruptions for standardized testing somewhere in there). We did a lot of activities with it though, and listened to some points, read some, watched some - and sometimes a combination of the techniques to really make sure it all sank in.

7. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Sep 4, 2012

rb, you didn't find that too long for your kids? I know a month is about the longest I'd want to spend on Shakespeare with my kiddos. Too much else to fit in the curriculum.