Timeshare Presentation = Free Trip

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 21, 2011

So, I got another one of those calls that I get every once in a while, but not in a LONG time. I must have entered some sweepstakes & they called to see if I'd listen to a timeshare presentation where I'd get a free trip to Hawaii or somewhere. Normally, I don't do it, but I'm ready for a trip, so maybe I'll listen when I'm out for the summer. The company says I have a year to go on the trip. Actually, I probably WON'T end up doing it once again.

Do any of you guys actually do this?

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Mar 21, 2011

I did something like that once where I had to sit through a presentation and it turned out the free trip was only a few days hotel stay (you had to stay at certain hotels) and did not include airfair or anything else. It would have cost a lot in the long run so we didn't bother going at all.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 21, 2011

We did it several years ago when the kids were little. We got 4 nights free at a condo in Orlando, passes for Disney, and 3 nights in St. Petersburg. We drove down and had a wonderful family vacation. There was free childcare during the presentations and we knew that purchasing wouldn't be an option for us. It was worth the few hours out of our vacation.

5. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Mar 21, 2011

We have done this several times in the past. If you can say no, you can usually get something worth your 60-90 minute presentation!! We spent 4 days on the beach in Daytona for less than $100 a few years ago. We also got Disney tickets for 2 days(2 tickets) a couple of years ago.(in addition to the cheap lodging for the weekend.) I'd read the fine print.

6. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Mar 21, 2011

We just got a call a couple days ago. The trips were to Las Vegas or a cruise.

We don't have time, but we would do it if we were not moving.

7. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Mar 22, 2011

We did it once in Orlando and got to stay at a beautiful condo. The presentation was OK, but the salesman are insistant. We just kept saying 'no' and then they were really annoying, so we said, we're done and left. I hate the high pressure sales pitch, but just keep saying no!

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 22, 2011

Oh yeah, no one can pressure me into doing anything if I don't want to. They can talk till they're blue in the face. :)

9. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Mar 22, 2011

This is an intriguing idea. As I posted a few days ago, dh and I are looking to take a trip this summer and this would be a GREAT way to save some money.

Any idea how to get on a list for this?

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 22, 2011

Jem, for me, I've been called due to entering those Win a Car sweeps at the malls, which I've ironically stopped doing for yrs now because I know that's all I'll be called about, so they must hold onto peoples' names for a LONG time. Also, if you attend a Home & Garden Show & enter a sweeps there for various things.

11. Lindager

Lindager Companion

Mar 22, 2011

We actually bought a timeshare after one of those presentations and I love it!!.

Jem if you are serious PM me I might be able to get some credits for recommending you.

We have used our timeshare points for a trip to Snowbird Utah (in Summer it was beautiful), Sedona, AZ, Palm Springs, CA Myrtle beach, SC (Several times here my family is there) we have donated vacations to my church auction and I have taken short trips to Atlantic City, Pocono PA, and a couple of other off the beaten path places. Timeshares are not what they used to be you do not have to always go the same week to the same place.

12. teach'ntx

teach'ntx Comrade

Mar 22, 2011

Pre-Child, my dh and I would always do them. We like to haggle and negotiate. Also at the time we both travelled a lot for work (7 out of every 8 weeks for me) so we had tons of amazing miles. They could never compete with our trip prices (free hotel, airfare, and car rentals usually). But we like getting the extras by going to these.
    Also, we love to vacation in Vegas (I use to live there). We usually would do one per trip for free dinners, show tickets, and some money. We liked seeing the properties and the prices, but we know we can say no.....