Times To Work

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Math, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Math

Math Cohort

Mar 27, 2011

These are some random questions I've always wanted answers too.

What time does your school start?

What time do you have to be there by? (Does something happen if your late?)

What time are you allowed to leave? (Do you usually stay past this time?)

How many sick days do you get per year? (What happens if you run out?)

How do you meet other teachers? (Do you go around introducing yourself or do you like see someone in the teachers lounge and start a conversation?)

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 27, 2011

We start school at 8:45 (it's an intermediate building) but have to be there about an hour before school starts. We must be on time and if administration notices that we are arriving late, we will be docked pay.

Not sure how many sick days we get, but even with sick days, we have to make plans and grade all work done those days. So, they aren't really worth taking unless necessary. If we use all our sick days, we can take off a day without pay, but we still have to leave plans and do the grading. So, again, definitely not worth it!

We meet other teachers the same way people meet others. We introduce ourselves, talk in the lounge, go to meetings together, take classes together, etc.

4. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Mar 27, 2011

--We have an optional period 1 that starts at seven.

--I'm supposed to be in my classroom 1/2 hour before my first class. Since I teach period one, I'm in at 6:30. If I had an emergency, I'd call the office to have my room unlocked and have a campus supervisor stay with the class until I could get there. We had an accident just up the street from the school that closed off the section right where we turn up to school, and several teachers were caught in traffic and were a bit late.

--I'm allowed to leave right after my last contracted period. In practice, I usually stay an extra 45 minutes to 1-1/2 hours.

--We get 10, but we can carry them over year to year. If someone has a catastrophic illness, the union puts out a request for donations of days.

How do you meet other teachers? (Do you go around introducing yourself or do you like see someone in the teachers lounge and start a conversation?)
    --We're pretty departmentalized, so I don't know all of the other teachers--sometimes we work on committees together, though, and we have a couple of social events each year.

5. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Mar 27, 2011

School starts at 8:15, its a PreK-5 school. I think I'm technically supposed to be there by 8, but I'm usually there between 7-7:15, 7:30 the latest.

We leave at 2:30 on Mondays and Fridays. We have extended day until 3:30 Tues-Thurs.

Right now I'm working per diem so I don't get sick days.

I've met most of the teachers through meetings. We have a lounge but most teachers seem to eat in their classrooms. Most people introduced themselves to me when I first started. Everyone was super welcoming.

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 27, 2011

Math---can I ask why all these questions? Are you considering becoming a teacher?

7. marcus903

marcus903 Companion

Mar 27, 2011

He probably just asking for entertainment purposes.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 27, 2011

What time does your school start? 8 for teachers M-F, 8:30 on FR. Instruction begins at 8:35.

What time do you have to be there by? (Does something happen if your late?) see above. Excessive lateness could be reflected in teacher summative assessments, administrators would probably address with individual teachers as needed

What time are you allowed to leave? (Do you usually stay past this time?)instruction ends at 3:10. We can leave at 3:15 unless a faculty meeting is scheduled. I never leave at 3:15, but some teachers who do are taking work home with them.

How many sick days do you get per year? (What happens if you run out?)10. Unused sick days go in your 'bank' to be drawn upon in other years if needed, otherwise teachers could lose pay for days in excess of what is allotted/in bank.

How do you meet other teachers? (Do you go around introducing yourself or do you like see someone in the teachers lounge and start a conversation?)generally, new teachers are introduced at faculty meetings. We engage in discussions/small chat at lunch, have social functions.
    You've always wanted the answers to these questions? Seems as a student you would know what time your school starts...are you generally curious about the work conditions of professional educators or are you gathering this info for other purposes?

9. Math

Math Cohort

Mar 27, 2011

I do plan on becoming a Math Teacher

10. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 27, 2011

Math---thank you for sharing that.

11. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Mar 27, 2011

My principal is pretty laid back. Our technical contracted hours are 7:30-3:30. School is 8:00-2:50. My principal told us at the beginning of the year that she didn't care when we were at school as long as we got our stuff done. I love that she has this attitude! I'm not at all a morning person, so I never come in early. I usually try to get there between 7:30-7:45. I have everything set up so I could litereally walk in the door and start teaching. After school, theres only one day that I don't work the afterschool program until 5, so on that day I usually leave by 3:15 or so because its my only time I can run errands to the bank, post office, etc. while things are still open. Also, I personally would rather work on my school stuff on my couch in my sweatpants than stay at school for so long! I usually come in for a few hours on Sundays to get things taken care of for the week so I don't have to stay really late on weekdays. I like to make it to the gym after school- but if it gets to be past 7 or so I'm too hungry and tired!

Being the special ed. teacher I work pretty closely with almost everyone in the building- so thats how I met people. I would say its also really important to eat lunch in the lounge. I can't believe how many teachers work through lunch- you have to be eating too, so honestly is it that worth it to eat by yourself so you can get 10 more minutes of work done? I need that time to just relax and talk to other adults- those of us that eat in the lounge are much closer/better friends than those that don't. We're also a tiny school so everyone knows everyone. I would say you just have to put yourself out there- when I was new I made sure to talk to everyone as much as I could instead of hiding in my room. This is so important- if you want to be friends with other teachers you have to take the time to build those relationships. We have one or two teachers that just don't really socialize with anyone- the rest of us are pretty good friends. We go to happy hour every Friday and we sometimes do other social things on Saturdays or Sundays too. I was just at a birthday party at one of my coworkers houses' last night! I think part of the reason we function so well as a staff is that we are are such good friends.

12. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Mar 27, 2011

I teach at a Primary School. I am supposed to report by 8:30, I usually am there between 8:00- 8:15. Students arrive at 8:45. I am not late, unless there is an emergency of some sort. I call the school and tell them what is happening, and get there asap.

What time are you allowed to leave? (Do you usually stay past this time?) Students leave at 3:45. I leave at 4:05. Some days I will stay later. Because I try to come early, I tend to leave on time, if I am able.

How many sick days do you get per year? (What happens if you run out?) I think I get one and a half days per pay period. I haven't had to (thankfully) use many sick days, so I have a lot banked. If you run out, at least where I work, you start taking days without pay.

How do you meet other teachers? (Do you go around introducing yourself or do you like see someone in the teachers lounge and start a conversation?) At a new workplace it can be rough. My Teacher's Aide introduced me to a lot of staff. When there are new teachers, I try to stop by and introduce myself and welcome them to our school.

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 27, 2011

FYI: I'm in a Catholic high school, so my answers may not match many of the others yhou receive.

14. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Mar 27, 2011

We have to be at school at 7:15, pick up the kids at 7:30 in the lunchroom. If we're late, we'd probably get written up.

I get to school around 6ish and leave around 5ish, only because I have another job!

We have icebreaker activities at our first staff meeting and everyone is very friendly at our school, so we all have a chance to meet each other!

15. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Mar 27, 2011

Our school day is from 8:10-2:30. Technically, we have to be there half an hour before school starts and can't leave until half an hour after it ends.

Three things are true, however. First of all, nobody is going to care when I come and go as long as I'm there to pick up my students when they line up on the playground. Second, if I'm not there when they line up, I will probably be called into the principals office to explain why - even if I was on campus and doing something important. Finally, hardly anybody actually leaves at 3:00. Or at least does it on a regular basis. There's just a lot of work to do. I'm generally there from about 7:30 to 5:00 and work through lunch.

16. Southernese

Southernese Rookie

Mar 27, 2011

I'm answering about the K-12 school I worked at last year. I'm now working at a college, which is completely different.

17. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Mar 27, 2011

:

:):)

18. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Mar 27, 2011

What time does your school start? 7:45

What time do you have to be there by? (Does something happen if your late?) 7:15. I don't know of anyone who is habitually late (because we are a very small staff).

What time are you allowed to leave? (Do you usually stay past this time?) We are allowed to leave at 3:00. Our school ends at 1:45, and most of the students are gone by 2:15, so very rarely does anyone stay past 3:00.

How many sick days do you get per year? (What happens if you run out?) We have 10 sick days per year. If we use more than than, we are docked for every day we miss.

How do you meet other teachers? (Do you go around introducing yourself or do you like see someone in the teachers lounge and start a conversation?) Our staff is very small, so it's easy for us. When I was on a big campus, I mainly met people through our department workroom and teacher workroom. Even now, I'm closest to the people who are in my department (there are only 4 of us).

19. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Mar 27, 2011

We run from 7:55 - 3:12. Teacher day runs from 7:40 - 3:40. We get 10 sick days per year, but we may also bank them. We also get three personal days.

As far as meeting other teachers, I know the teachers in my hallway the best, but I meet others in the lounge and at meetings.

20. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 27, 2011

It varies from year to year. This year the students arrive in the rooms at 7:50.

We have to be there by 7:50. Some people arrive as the kids enter, but I like to be there from 15-30 minutes early.If you are late, your students are unsupervised. People understand an occasional issue with being late. I'm not sure what happens if it becomes a chronic problem. I've been late twice in 18 years due to frozen car doors both times!

This also varies year to year. This year we can leave at 3:20, which is about 20 minutes after the kids leave. I am rarely gone before 4:00. It's useless to leave at 3:20. All you do it sit in traffic.

We get 10 per year. If you run out, you take a "deduct day" . . . basically they take your pay for the day.

Interesting question. When I started teaching, I was in the same school I had attended. Most everyone knew me already. I just met them through the course of the day. For quite a few years I've been on the hiring committee, so I've met the new people at their interviews.

21. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 28, 2011

Our students enter the building beginning at 7:55 and class starts at 8:05. We are required to be there at 7:45 but I'm always there by about 7:00. If someone is habitually late, the administrators will talk with them to find out what the difficulty is.

The students leave at 2:35 and we can go at 2:45. I'm usually there until 4:30 or 5:00, and am one of the last to leave the building.

We get 20 sick days a year (no personal days) that roll over and accumulate.

We meet as a staff just before the school year starts, so this is an opportunity to meet new staff members. If someone starts during the school year we have an informal introduction meeting at recess and a more formal introduction at the first staff meeting after they start. We get to know each other through chatting at the photocopier, while outside on supervision duty, in the staff room, and in the halls.

22. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Mar 28, 2011

We have to be there by 8:15, kids come in at 8:25. Some days I'm there at 7, some days not until I have to be.

I've never been late. My last school was a stickler about being on time, but I sense this one is not. I'd call up and let them know, a TA or a colleague would probably cover. Last year I overslept and woke up almost 2 hours past the tardy bell! That was scary!!!

I can leave at 4:15. Like my arrival, some days I leave at 4:15, some days 6:30 (when the building is locked)

We get 10 a year, and I'm pretty sure they roll over. I don't know what happens when you run out, maybe you're docked pay? I think it works out to somewhere around $90 a day.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  23. ally06

ally06 Companion

Mar 28, 2011

What time does your school start? 8:25am

What time do you have to be there by? (Does something happen if your late?) We have to be in our classrooms by 8:15am which is when the studens are allowed inside. One day I overslept and knew I wouldn't make it to school on time so I rang and let our secretary know - the teacher next door just watched them for 10 mins or so until I got there. I don't know what would happen though if we were late and didn't let anyone know.

What time are you allowed to leave? (Do you usually stay past this time?) Students finish at 3 - we can leave any time after this though I am usually at school until 4-4:30pm.

How many sick days do you get per year? (What happens if you run out?) We get 10 days per year and they roll over. If we run out we just have to take the days without pay.

How do you meet other teachers? (Do you go around introducing yourself or do you like see someone in the teachers lounge and start a conversation?) New teachers are introduced at our beginning of year staff meeting and after that we get to know them by saying hi, chatting, offering help etc.

24. peachacid

peachacid Companion

Mar 28, 2011

We must be here by 7:30am and we have to stay until 4:30pm. We are not allowed to leave before that without asking for personal or sick time. K-8 school.

25. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Mar 28, 2011

We must be at school by 7:30, but I am usually there between 6:30 and 7:00. If we are going to be late we need to call so our class is covered. This happened only once when there was a bad traffic accident on the highway. There is only one alternate route from the highway to my school and EVERYONE was detoured on it.

Contractually we can leave at 3:15, which is 1/2 hour after the last class. I am usually here until 4:00. If I have a lot of lab equipment to set up I could be here much longer.

We get 15 sick days a year and 3 personal. There is legislation going through that will reduce that, among other changes that are depressing.

I generally meet other teachers outside my department at lunch, while doing errands during planning time, and at the copy machine.

I teach High School.

26. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Mar 28, 2011

We have to be there by 8:10, and our first bell for students rings at 8:20. If we are late once or twice and call, it's not a huge deal. Our principal understands that sometimes things happen. If it becomes a pattern, we get a note in our file. If it is a problem, we are encouraged to transfer.

Our students get out at 3:35. We can leave at 3:45, though I am usually there with a club I sponsor until at least 6:00. On "regular" days, I'm there until 4:15 or so.

I meet other teachers at faculty meetings, lunch, planning periods, and school socials. Get involved in activities at your school! Attend sporting events, performances, etc.

I get 10 sick days and 2 personal days a year. If I don't use the sick days, they roll over. If I don't use the personal days (which I rarely do) I lose them. We can run out for up to an hour during our planning for a quick appointment as long as it's not a habit (weekly or more frequently. Once a month might be pushing it as well...) Otherwise, we have to take a half or whole day.

27. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Mar 28, 2011

My school starts at 7:30. The kids start coming to class at 7:20. they have to stay downstairs until then. We have to be in our classrooms by 7:15. If I got caught coming into the school before that, they could probably put something in my file, but no one is really looking for me. At my last job, we had to sign in by 7:30 and exactly at 7:30 the secretary started highlighting people who still hadn't signed in. If you got 3+ highlights in a month, you got a letter in your file. Those letters can be taken into account when doing your end of year eval.

Our kids get out at 2:30 and I can leave at 2:45. Even if I want to get out the door on time, this is rare because it just takes more than 15 minutes to clean up and get everything organized for the next day. I usually leave more like 3pm on a day I don't want to stay, and maybe 4:30 if I am planning on doing some work in the afternoon. Twice a month, contractually, the admin can hold us until 3:45 for meetings, which usually happens.

I get 10 sick days and 2 personal days every year. I can do whatever I want with the personal days. For sick days I am supposed to be sick - ie, if I am walking around the mall and someone sees me, I can get in trouble. If you run out, Family and Medical Leave Act states that your job cannot fire you for a year I think it is, maybe 6 months. So they can't fire you - but they won't pay you, either. Some schools offer various long and short term disability. My school also has a "sick bank" - you donate 3 days to join, and then if you are ever sick, you can take days from the bank - essentially you are using other people's sick days. But typically to use those you have to be out a certain number of days and be on formal medical leave - like last year, I donated my 3 to join the bank, and then took a few here and there, and then got a stomach virus towards the end of the year. I used all my sick days and then some, but because it was a minor illness, I just got docked a couple days pay (I didn't even really notice it from my paycheck). I couldn't use the sick bank for something like that.

28. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 18, 2011

Is that the purpose of your questions?

29. queenie

queenie Groupie

May 18, 2011

What time does your school start? 7:50

What time do you have to be there by? (Does something happen if your late?) 7:20...and nothing has ever happened to me for being late, but I'm rarely late and have never been later than 7:30 that I can remember

What time are you allowed to leave? (Do you usually stay past this time?) I am allowed to leave at 2:50 and I nearly always stay past this time...usually by 30 minutes or so, but tonight, for instance, I stayed over 2 hours later- til just past 5.

How do you meet other teachers? (Do you go around introducing yourself or do you like see someone in the teachers lounge and start a conversation?) I already know all the teachers in my school, but if there's a sub I don't know I just start up a conversation or say hello.

30. queenie

queenie Groupie

May 18, 2011

Forgot to answer one: How many sick days do you get per year? (What happens if you run out?)

I'm not really sure...I want to say 13?? That could be way off, though. I don't know what happens if I run out. I only use 1 or 2 a year, generally. I think you get a "warning" of sorts if you use a lot of them. I know we can have 3 without an excuse from a doctor and after that we have to have a written excuse.

31. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

May 18, 2011

What time does your school start? The kids start coming in the building at 7:25, they come to the room starting at 7:40, and our day officially starts at 7:55.

What time do you have to be there by? (Does something happen if your late?) Non-duty teachers are supposed to be there no later than 7:30. I'm usually there by 6:45. If it's a fluke/one time event, really nothing happens to you for being late. However, if it becomes an issue the principal addresses it with the teacher and that usually resolves the issue.

What time are you allowed to leave? (Do you usually stay past this time?) We aren't supposed to leave until after the busses roll, about 3:10, but again, as long as you don't make a habit of it, nothing is said if you leave a few minutes earlier (after putting kids on the bus).

How many sick days do you get per year? (What happens if you run out?) We get 10 days a year. If you run out, they take the sub money from your pay. It's about a 45% cut for the day. We can donate days to each other. I've got about 85 days stockpiled and have donated 5 to two co-workers each, and a few odd and end days.

How do you meet other teachers? (Do you go around introducing yourself or do you like see someone in the teachers lounge and start a conversation?) It was different for me coming to this school. My friend had taught here for 15 years (actually, I got her old classroom). So, I knew most of the the teachers, at least by sight. The others I met mostly at times when we'd meet at the time-clock or at the copy machine, places like that.

32. Rox

Rox Cohort

May 19, 2011

School starts at 8:00 and finishes at 2:30. I have to be here between those hours, however, I'm also required to be here 7 hours a day. Whether we prefer to come in early or stay late is up to us. I tend to come in at 6:30am and stay until 4:00pm.

My program is actually a site that rents a classroom from a school. My boss oversees about 20 classrooms at 10 different sites, so there isn't much supervision. If I'm late, (which hasn't happened yet) I tell my boss and assistants just so that nobody worries about me.

I get 10 sick days per year. If we run out, we don't get paid for any extra days that we take off.