times tables incentives..

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by NewbieTeach, Aug 9, 2008.

1. NewbieTeach

NewbieTeach Rookie

Aug 9, 2008

Hello everyone...I'm new to 4th grade and i remember when i was in fourth grade we did something to help us with our times tables...Like we took a lil test to see if we mastered the table we studied that night..i was wondering if you have any ideas to do this..i know in fourth learning the tables is super important..i found this picture of a "times table touchdown" but i'm not sure how i could use this..do the mini quizes have to be timed?

http://http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a287/3littlemonkeys/school/classroom3.jpg

(to the person whose picture I found that from..THANKS!!!!!)

3. NewbieTeach

NewbieTeach Rookie

Aug 9, 2008

opps heres that picture...

[​IMG]

4. SouperTeach

SouperTeach Companion

Aug 10, 2008

What a cute idea! If I were going to use it, I would have footballs with each of the students' names on them. As the students showed mastery in their times tables, I would move them to that line.

I think that, to a certain extent they need to be timed just to show that they are fluent. If you don't time them, they could just be counting on their fingers.

5. NewbieTeach

NewbieTeach Rookie

Aug 10, 2008

I totally agree! I'm unsure of how much time to give them tho!

6. zoodies

zoodies Rookie

Aug 10, 2008

I give my kids 25 questions each day, going in order 2, 3, 4, ....
    They are timed, and I know some people don't like this, but our whole grade does this. By Feb. we have many kids starting division, which is great! Anyways they must pass 3 of each number before going to the next number. They mark their chart w/ a sticker for each pass and must keep track of where they are. At the end of the year we have a ice cream party or nacho party for the kiddos. How far they get depends on how many toppings. They love putting their stickers up each day. Good motivation and they never forget to remind me if I forget to do a times test for the day:) I love that chart! I am doing football this year. I did something similar for my reading. Touchdown readers w/ a goal post surrounded by their footballs. They move them according to how many books they pass.

7. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Aug 10, 2008

8. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 10, 2008

Newbieteach, the picture you posted from whoever is adorable and easy to implement.

I give two minutes for every timed test and probably still will in the advanced class compared to the extra assistance. I don't want kids making petty mistakes while rushing in a one-minute time slot.

9. SouperTeach

SouperTeach Companion

Aug 10, 2008

One hint that I received at a workshop was to not tell them that its time. Just hand out the tests, keep track of the time and collect them once the time is up. The kids will figure out that they have a time limit, but if they don't know exactly what time they have, they will not be as tempted to watch the clock and will get more done. I just heard this on Friday, so I have yet to test it out.

10. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Aug 10, 2008

Another idea is to use a picture of a banana split for each student. They color a different part after they master the facts, then when the picture is colored completely you reward them with a banana split! My students have loved it in the past.

Ex: Zeros = bowl, ones = spoon, 2s = banana, 3s = ice cream, etc.

I also agree about timing it. The goal should also be fluency, which means timed tests. I give my students 5 minutes, and the regular class has 3 minutes, then 2 and half after mid year for 50 facts.