Timer for kids-Fluency

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by VANewbie, Jul 22, 2010.

1. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 22, 2010

As you can probably tell with all my recent posts I am finally sitting down trying to plan somethings for the school year.

I know someone mentioned that they have their students time each other in center to check their fluency.

What type of timer would you use with first graders? Also what do the students read from to get their rate and what type of recording sheet do you use?

I am thinking the students will read the books on their level and keep track that way.

3. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 23, 2010

My class does it for fluency practice-so they aren't reading text. I just give them lists of words-we start out with word familes-so one page might have 4 different word families, 4 different lists-so at, cat, rat, fat, hat, mat then onto another set of words.

I just use those stopwatch timers-they learn pretty quickly how to work them and what the time means-the lower the better. :) I always do it once too when demonstrating-so they see if they can beat my time! ;) They just write it on their workstation record sheet, it's not anything I keep track of since it's certainly not "official" - I just want them to focus on the skill of reading quickly and accurately.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 23, 2010

5. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 23, 2010

We have levelized workbooks calledQuick Reads, non-fiction passages. The passages are already counted and numbered and in the back of the book there's a chart where they mark their words per minute. I generally do this as a whole group activity using a basic timer. The kids love it. To change things up some they'll whisper read/read loudly, stand up and read, and whatever else we can come up for some variety. Our Lit Coach insists we do this daily so we had to add some variety to it.

6. teach1st

teach1st Comrade

Jul 23, 2010

If you have a smartboard it has a timer on it. Then the kids can mark on the board where they stopped as well.

7. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2010

They have little digital timers at the Dollar Tree. They are very simple to use because they only have two buttons, "start" and "stop". My special ed. kids can use them after I show them.

8. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 23, 2010

Great ideas. I'm going to research a bit more and then try to do this with my students.

9. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Jul 23, 2010

Readingatoz.com has some fluency passages you can print. I saw another teacher print and laminate them to use as a center, and the kids just check off how many words their partner gets wrong.

10. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 25, 2010

I looked at the passages on readingatoz. I think I like the idea of having them practice with word families. I can't wait to try this.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2010

Would you really have kids assess each other?

12. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 25, 2010

Why is having student assess themselves wrong in this situation?

13. teacher112

teacher112 Companion

Jul 25, 2010

Whoa... kids assessing each others fluency? I would never do that. It would turn reading into a race and a competition and it would not be accurate. It would also put unnecessary pressure on them. I would never do that. :unsure:

14. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 25, 2010

Hmm.
    What else would you suggest?

15. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 25, 2010

when my kids do it with word lists they are not assessing each other. One is simply timing while the other is reading. It does turn into a competition, but as a motivator to be able to read better. I don't think VA is talking about using the results as any kind of real assessment, just as practice reading.

16. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 25, 2010

Yea I just want them to have some practice. Thought this would be a good idea.

17. goingtogigi

goingtogigi Rookie

Jul 25, 2010

I too allow my kids to time each other for fluency practice. We use sand timers.

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2010

Individual reading conferences...

19. mhirsch

mhirsch Companion

Jan 1, 2011

I use an electronic timer on the computer. It counts down from 60 seconds to 0 and records students' reading so that you can play their reading back. You can use it when you're assessing students but also they can practice themselves during independent work time. http://www.fluencytimer.net is where I bought the software. It was pretty cheap.