Timelines

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by lnm130, Sep 25, 2011.

1. lnm130

lnm130 Companion

Sep 25, 2011

Looking for some fun ideas to teach the concept of timelines to my 2nd graders. Any good ideas?

3. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Sep 25, 2011

Like history timelines?? The best way I think to teach timelines is to have the students line up as a actual timeline. Here's what I do with my history classes ~

I create a number of timeline events with one event on a single piece of paper (with your younger students adding a picture might be nice to make a connection about the event),

I make, depending on the number of students, 2 sets of the timeline events, divide the students into same number of groups,

each group is given a complete set of timeline events

on count of three, each group works to create a human timeline of events in the correct order ~ the students must line themselves up in timeline order

I have my students turn their backs to each and then on the "Reveal" they turn and face each other to see if their timelines match up.

Hope this makes sense ~ my AP students LOVE this activity

AND, I really hope this is what your post is about :)

4. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Sep 25, 2011

Could you start by doing a timeline of your day? Or memorable shared events from this year thus far (1st day of school, fire drill, character awards, substitute teacher... etc.)
    I don't know...
    Our kinders brought in timelines of their lives. Their parents made them by glueing pictures of important/memorable events (birthday, 1st Christmas, started walking, started preschool, 1st day of Kinder... or something like that)onto a sentence strip and the kids brought them to school and talked about them.
    Or maybe you could show a timeline of your life or a timeline of books you like. When you were a baby you read ____, then as you got a little older, you liked ___________. Then you grew up some more and liked ____________. Then as you got older you like _______________. Now your favorite book is ___________.

5. WhoDatTeacher

WhoDatTeacher Rookie

Sep 27, 2011

I definitely think that having the students create an individual time line that could be hung up around the room would allow everyone to learn more about one another. In my social studies methods course my last semester of college, we all created timelines of major events in our lives over the years and posted them around the room. It was really interesting to learn about the other people in the class. You will be surprised what you don't know about your students!

6. WhoDatTeacher

WhoDatTeacher Rookie

Sep 27, 2011

Also, since it is 2nd grade you are working with you could have them illustrate a small picture or cartoon in order to go along with the event. Maybe set up the timelines in more of a comic strip fashion.