timeline of life events

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Elcsmith, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Elcsmith

Elcsmith Companion

Feb 19, 2008

My second grade class is studying timelines. I'm sending home a sheet for parents to fill out with their children about life events. I want to stick to things the kids will be interested in.

Here's what I have so far: birthday, bday of siblings, 1st tooth, 1st day of school, 1st steps.

I'd like to do about 10 per student so that they will all have something to put down if parents don't remember all the details. Suggestions please! Thanks!:)

3. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Feb 19, 2008

Why don't you let the parents help the kids pick the other five? Every family is so different, it would be hard to know for sure what will be significant in one person's life, vs. another person's life. The five you have are pretty general. Maybe some general suggestions, and let the parents help the kids fill in the rest.

Suggestions for the families;

-family members born/passed on
    -big vacations/trips
    -moving
    -new car (this can be a huge deal for some people, especially if they didn't have a car before!)
    -relatives moves closer/further away
    -bar/bat mitzvahs, quinceaneras, college graduations or other coming of age events in a family that may be significant to the kids, even if it's a cousin or sibling
    -first words
    -learned to ride a bike
    -learned to ________

4. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Feb 19, 2008

Or just have them choose one or two important events from each year of their life.

5. janlee

janlee Devotee

Feb 20, 2008

I make a time line with my second graders but I have them only do events from the previous year. I want them to do the remembering rather than the parents. I tell them to think of holidays, birthdays, vacations, visits from relatives. I only ask for about 6 events. They draw a picture of the event on a 4 x 4 inch square. I attach the squares to a sentence strip, leaving about 2 inches below each square. The student writes a few words explaining each event underneath the square. I title the strips "A Year in the LIfe of -----".

6. Nicole S.

Nicole S. Rookie

Feb 20, 2008

I saw a very cool idea that our third grade teacher did...She had the children get pennies for each year they were alive, so from 1999 -2008 (although no 2008 pennies could be found.) Then they had to think of things to write according to that year. Then they glued the pennies onto their time line and wrote their facts either above or below the penny. It looked very cool, and it didn't sound too hard. Some parent help was needed, although they thought of some very cool things on their own. Here are some ideas: new addition to family, first walked, part in a wedding, etc. Just an idea
    Nicole