Timed math test resources

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by snickydog, Feb 4, 2008.

1. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Feb 4, 2008

I use Everyday Math at my school, and the teachers at my school have talked about the need to push for more mastery of basic facts (so for grade one, addition and some subtraction) since EDM doesn't spend too much time on that. I'd like to start doing weekly timed math tests to get my students to remember facts automatically. Does anyone have a resource (book or website) for math fact timed tests that they find particularly helpful? I'd ideally like something with many levels that I could move students through as they master each skill (0+ families, then 1+ families, etc).

Thanks!

3. iTeacher

iTeacher Rookie

Feb 5, 2008

I made up my own using MicroSoft Word. We take one fact group (0's, 1's, 2's) a week and give the kids timed tests. We have 30 problems on the page and they get 3 minutes. When we have completed all the fact groups up to 10's we start giving them mixed fact tests. I personally do not like giving times tests to first graders, I still feel they are mastering the concrete level of adding but our state benchmark is knowing the facts up to 10 + 10 by the end of first grade.

4. LakeSophie

LakeSophie Comrade

Feb 5, 2008

I use Saxon math which pushes fact knowledge a lot, but I don't see why you can't make your own sheets. My kids get 20-25 problems to do each day in class and another 20-25 to complete at home. They are organized in many different ways. We don't time them at my level, but they are timed come 2nd grade.

5. blue-eyed mom

blue-eyed mom Companion

Feb 5, 2008

Minute math is a great resource. Thirty problems - one minute. You can't go on to the next one until you passed the one you're on. I like them because they build on one another. For example 2+9 then 3+9. The first grade series starts with 1+2 I think...:lol:

6. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Feb 6, 2008

We do Otter Creek. It is individualized, which is my favorite part. Students have different goals (there are forty problems on a page and they get one minute to try and reach their goal, my students' goals currently range from 20-34) and work on different tests. They go from A to Z. Test A is 2 + 1, 1+ 2, I think. These tests build on each other, like the other poster mentioned. I currently have a few students on Test D, while others are as far as L. Each student has a folder where I write their goal and place their test. The other students don't need to know, so the kids don't get embarrased if they are on a lower level.

7. blue-eyed mom

blue-eyed mom Companion

Feb 6, 2008

Where do you get otter creek resources? I'd like to see them.

8. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Feb 7, 2008

One of the other first grade teachers has a huge binder with all of the tests and information in it. I think it is from one of those conferences that you get the little pamphlets for in your mailbox. I don't know if it is something you can order on its own or maybe borrow from a library. It would be worth checking into. The kids really like it and are working hard at mastering their facts.

9. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Feb 7, 2008

I don't know where we got them, but we have facts up to 10. I have test A. If they pass that with 25/30 in 2 minutes, they skip to test B. If not, they go to Practice A-1, then A-2, then A-3, then back to Test A. They continue on with this cycle until they pass Test A. The same cycle occurs with Test B, C,D,E,and F.
    Then there's a final test. Test A has more smaller numbers and test f has lots of higher numbers ( 8, 9, 10)
    The next set of timed tests are subtraction facts up to 10. Same thing about getting 25/30 in 2 minutes.
    The next set is addition facts to 20, then subtraction facts to 20.

I keep them in hanging files. Each child has a clothes pin. I put the pins on the file of the test they're on. It's easy to keep track of who's on which test.

10. cristib

cristib Rookie

Feb 14, 2008