Timed math facts tests

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by Curiouscat, Apr 21, 2012.

1. randyaybe

randyaybe Guest

Apr 1, 2020

When giving my students worksheets those kids who do well with timed tests are excited but those who usually do poorly are not. However, everyone likes to go on the ipad to use an app like FlashtoPass.

Anyone know of any free easy to navigate math apps?

2. p30better

p30better New Member

Aug 28, 2020

Thank you for all the great resources listed here!

3. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Connoisseur

Sep 23, 2020

Same here. I taught it for years like you do, but used 2 number bonds a week. That way they really got the subtraction and we moved faster. I taught older grades, so used higher numbers.
    Plus, I did x and division the same way. Once they learned the concepts and practical applications, the facts were simple even for a lot of kids who might not have been deep thinkers. Memorization is easier than other skills, and if they understand why you are doing it, they get speedy in math. I spent time on it daily , so it was not just the test as practice. (All you need is about 10-15 minutes a day to focus on the bonds.)
    I only learned this way to teach it about 10 yrs ago and it seriously helps the kids.

4. Matthew P

Matthew P Rookie

Oct 1, 2020

Hi Randy,

Great resources! With my class I do a range of Ninja Numeracy activites to kick-start our lessons as the week commences. It's a free online and comes with its own PowerPoint and PDF. It's also a useful tool for differentiation as the third column is quite advanced and should show you which students might be working at that extended level. Good luck with it!