Timed centers or Small groups

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by TeacherCuriousExplore, Aug 28, 2017.

1. TeacherCuriousExplore

TeacherCuriousExplore Cohort

Aug 28, 2017

Do you time your centers or small groups?

I use a timer and set it to 30 mins for both center play and small groups. When the timer is up the kids no that it is time to clean up and transition. I hope this is an ok method.

3. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Aug 28, 2017

Kind of?
    Our center time is 45 minutes long (it says one hour on our schedule but that rarely happens). Then clean up and onto the next thing (lunch)
    Sometimes it's less than 45 minutes. It all depends on the previous activities and how long they take. Lunch is set for noon so we can't let them play at centers longer

4. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Aug 28, 2017

We have to do 1 hour of centers for ECERS. I set a visual timer on our wall for 55 minutes. When it goes off, I ring a bell and we do a "5 more minutes" left to play song. After 5 minutes I turn the clean-up song on. The expectation is that when the clean-up song comes on, everyone needs to stop playing and start cleaning.

5. TeacherCuriousExplore

TeacherCuriousExplore Cohort

Aug 29, 2017

Thanks, I thought maybe I was the only one that time the centers. I do 35-40 mins of center play. When the timer goes off, the kids clean up. We are on a block schedule so after centers we go into math block for 30 mins.