Time to Teach???

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by 5thgraderocks, Mar 26, 2008.

1. 5thgraderocks

5thgraderocks Companion

Mar 26, 2008

I don't have time to teach!! Am I the only one awake in the middle of the night wondering how I'll get everything in?? Fifth graders are pulled out (in groups of 2 or 3) for band and/or strings every Tuesday and Thursday for band; Friday for strings. In addition, we have full band 45 minutes +10 travel time and 45 minutes +10 for orchestra practice. Individual lessons are 30 minutes +10 travel time. The only subjects kids can't be pulled from are PE, Art and Music. This is a nightmare!! We have pullouts for LD, EBD,ELL, SPEECH, PHYSICAL THERAPY, GT, Peer Mediation ... Yikes!! I opened my email to find two more 50 minutes blocks to cross out: Growth and Development & AIDS.

We just finished District Writing Assessment; two ILA blocks and I still need to do DRA testing for spring on the whole class. OMG! Does anyone have a 5th grade schedule with a "sacred" math and reading block?:woot:

3. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Mar 26, 2008

Wow! You do have a full schedule! I often wonder how I am supposed to accomplish any teaching as well what with Spanish, PE, music, library, computer, band pull outs, Title 1 pull outs, and DARE! Now the counselor wants to start student mentor porgrams and "bully buddies" (to stand up to bullies I think.)

I told my principal last week that I was feeling very preassured to get all the material taught (and taught well) when at least two core subjects had to be skipped on any given day. Her response was to teach thematically! AAHHH!!! It takes us anywhere from 1-2 months to get through science units that should only take 2-5 weeks. American history does not lend itself to being thematically integrated with, say, the solar system and simple machines, nor does religion or genre instruction (although I suppose that could be worked in somewhere.) My suggestion (tongue in cheek) was to exptend the school day by 20 minutes. "You could do that forever and never have enough time to teach it all." True, but I'd have more time than I do now. One district only has kids in the building for 6.5 hours. I have no idea how they do it.

4. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Mar 26, 2008

I always feel that way. We have what I would consider a shorter day than most.

We have only one special class each day (30 minutes) and 45 minutes on another day once a week. We have a whole school elective period where each teacher does a class once a week for another 45 minutes. We also have a weekly assembly on Friday for 30 minutes.

My kids also have a volunteering time once a week, for 30 minutes. Only Tuesday and Wednesday are normal days when I can fit in each subject.

I don't teach thematically. I end up having to do a science unit and hit it hard for 3 weeks every day, and then I don't do it again for a couple of months. It's terrible. I am doing literacy twice a day right now, and math for only 30 minutes to get in lots of reading and writing. Before that I was doing science and math each day for extended times. I find it very difficult as well.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 27, 2008

Wow--that sounds difficult! The only things our kids are regularly pulled out of class for are Special Ed and ESL. When I pull my Special Ed students, I am working on reading, writing and math with them and they aren't responsible for any of those subjects that they miss in their regular class. Our students have music twice a week and all students from grade 4-8 learn and practice their band instruments then. All practices--sports, band, choir, etc. are at recess, lunch or after school.

In my school our Literacy Blocks are pretty sacred. Each division has their block at a different time of the day, so it makes it easier to plan around.