Time to set up

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by daizie75, Aug 5, 2008.

1. daizie75

daizie75 Rookie

Aug 5, 2008

How much time do you have in your room before open house? I mean paid actual workdays. I'm feeling overwhelmed by meetings and workshops. I know some of them are important but we do have to be ready for parents.

3. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Aug 5, 2008

We have a 1/2 day work afternoon. Yup, 'cause 4 hours is enough time to set up a classroom. :lol:

Can you tell that I will be spending SEVERAL afternoons after summer school getting my classroom ready?:D

4. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Aug 5, 2008

We have 3 1/2 days. We do have a meeting on 1 of those days, but it's not that long-maybe 2 hours at the longest. I usually will get there at 6 and leave at 5. However, I do go in early or I wouldn't even get it all done then. Infact, I'm about to go see if I can get my keys now since I have a meeting at school.

5. gab

gab Comrade

Aug 5, 2008

We get 0 paid set up days. We will have Open House 2 days before school begins after a long day of teacher training. None of our learning day is designated for classroom set up. If we are going to have our rooms set up we will need to go in prior to the learning day which almost everyone does.

We do get to claim the time used to set up our rooms in our TRI documentation which is an additional stipend that can only be claimed if work we do meets certain criteria.

6. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Aug 5, 2008

We begin our contracted days on the 25th and on the evening of the 26th. On that Monday, we have a meeting for a couple of hours and then the rest of the day we have in our rooms. So, I am thinking from 10am-3:30pm. On Tuesday the 26th, we have district meetings and will only get an hour or so in our rooms. Then, we have open house at 5-6:30pm that evening-- and parents will start arriving at 4:30pm for that.

7. Mrs.A

Mrs.A Rookie

Aug 5, 2008

None-we have in-service-in another building all day and then back to school night that night. :( Usually we have a couple of hours in our room but not this year. I always do it ahead anyway but it's still irritating that there is no time given.

8. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Aug 5, 2008

We get 1 and half paid days. We can start coming in now but the school closes at 2:30. Going tomorrow to laminate, so excited!

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2008

We have open access to our rooms the last week of August (school starts Sept. 2), although we can sometimes get in earlier. We can put in as many or as few hours as we want--we aren't paid for any of it.

10. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Aug 5, 2008

1 work day--the day before open house.

11. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 5, 2008

Zero paid days to prepare.

12. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2008

We have 4 paid days prior to our open house, but they are mostly filled with meetings and professional development. We get an afternoon out of those 4 days is we are lucky.

13. bballlady

bballlady Rookie

Aug 5, 2008

We do not have any type of Open House prior to school starting. Our contract begins Sept. 1st. If a teacher decides to go into school prior to that date to set up his or her classroom it is on their time. I spent all of last week setting up my room and it is complete, except for the outside BB. I am going away in August, my son is coming home from IL for one week in August, and our school hallways are waxed near the end of August. If I did not go in I would have been in deep trouble. So, I am quite relaxed at this point. Also, we leave detailed maps in our rooms and the custodians put all of the furniture, desks, etc. where we ask them to be placed. This is a huge help.

14. frogger

frogger Devotee

Aug 5, 2008

3 1/2 days before my open house but I will be in this week and next week before that as well.

15. daizie75

daizie75 Rookie

Aug 5, 2008

I should forward this to my custodian. She is mad that we are in the building setting up our own furniture!:)

16. bballlady

bballlady Rookie

Aug 5, 2008

daizie75 - Our custodians want to help. Our floors are wood and they receive a thorough cleaning and a fresh coat of varnish over the summer. The custodians are so fearful of teachers dragging desks, cabinets, bookshelves, etc. and ruining the floors that they insist on helping. Thank goodness for wood floors!

17. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2008

I'm a first year teacher and I've yet to see my classroom! My school hosted summer school so the custodial crew has been working to get the school in order and they requested for the staff to not return until August 11th. So, what that means for me...next week is new teacher orientation all week long from 7-ish to 12-ish so that will give me each afternoon of next week to set up. The following week is in-service, and I'm going to go ahead and assume there won't be much time provided in our classrooms to set-up. Plus, our "Meet the Teacher" night is Thursday of that week so I wan't to have everything ready to go way before then! Since I haven't seen my classroom yet, I'm super anxious and I don't know what to anticipate because I've never set up a classroom before! This was all kinda off topic, but I just wanted to say that I'm going in on my own time that if leftover from new teacher orientations!

18. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 5, 2008

Paid actual work days: The state gives us two. They're ACT 1185 days, which means we get 12 hours to work before school starts.

19. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 5, 2008

Of course I didn't mention that I've been working on and off in my room for the last month and a half.

20. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Aug 5, 2008

I never had a paid work day to set up my classroom...EVER. I didn't even realize teachers got them...LOL. Shows you what I know. :)

21. Grace

Grace Companion

Aug 5, 2008

We get about two "paid" workdays, but we have the ability to be in our classrooms for two weeks. I just see it as I'm still getting a paycheck in the summer, so it's like a paid day for me! We have open house the night before school starts, so as long as I'm done by then I think I'll survive.

22. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 5, 2008

We are required to be back on the 11th for 2 weeks of in-service/classroom set-up. It's up to the individual schools how much time they give us in our rooms - some make us meet mornings and then let us have the afternoons. Some have the staff meet full days for one week and a half and give their teachers 2 solid days to set up.

23. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Aug 5, 2008

We get 1/2 day to work in our rooms. The rest of the 3 days are meetings.

24. ready2teachintx

ready2teachintx Companion

Aug 5, 2008

1 paid day to prep our rooms. Of course, not enough time..I have been doing a little bit here and there as I have time.

25. SouperTeach

SouperTeach Companion

Aug 5, 2008

We get no workdays before open house that aren't filled with meetings. This year, though, we are doing staff development for three days that we can use to "comp" for three other days throughout the year. Our P let us have 2 hours today and might let us have a few more hours the next 2 days also.