time to give up

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by luv2teach444, Aug 12, 2015.

1. luv2teach444

luv2teach444 Companion

Aug 12, 2015

I think it's time to look for another job. I need a regular income coming in, other than just subbing. :(

I've applied for 230 jobs (the application keeps a count for me)

I hate having to make this decision. But I can't ask my husband to get another job, it's my turn to help out.

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 12, 2015

Just out of curiosity, what geographic area are you applying in? Is it an area where it is tough to find a job due to an excessive amount of qualified applicants, or is it a place with a teacher shortage and you feel that you are one of only a few having a tough time finding something? Could you expand your search and consider moving, or is that out of the question?

Is it possible that you could find an education-related job, just to stay in the field (or as close to it as possible), and then continue your search for next school year?

4. luv2teach444

luv2teach444 Companion

Aug 12, 2015

in the deep south - yes in a county that is hard to break into unless you have connections.

I have subbed for 3 yrs, in 11 different schools. We can't move for another year (have a senior in hs) my county is fairly large 1.5-2 hr drive from one end to the other. I also applied in next county over (1+ drive). I had 1 interview 2 yrs ago.

I don't know of any education related jobs.

If I could just find someone to tell me to give it up & I'd be okay with walking away then. I'm over 40 & have a master's so that is 2 strikes against me I believe.

5. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 12, 2015

I don't think there is anything wrong with moving on, if that is what will be best for you emotionally. Do you know what you might move on to do?

When I say education-related jobs, I'm thinking something like working for an education publisher/product company, working at a community college, working in a childcare setting, or even looking for admin assistant position in one of those schools in your county. I'm sure there are others I'm not thinking of right now... Those wouldn't be ideal, given that what you really want is a teaching position, but at least you'd be in the field in some capacity. Moving to a whole new industry would be okay too, if that's what you want, but it may make it even more difficult to ever come back to teaching, if you're thinking you might want to do that somewhere down the line. Given that you could move in a year, when your son graduates, you may just want to push through with one more year of subbing, working as a para, or looking into one of the other education-related jobs I mentioned. When you can expand your search further geographically next year, you might have more luck.

6. Boba

Boba Companion

Aug 12, 2015

I understand where you are coming from. It gets frustrating to hear that you will get a full time offer just by showing your face as a substitute teacher and tutor. It doesn't always work like that in many cases. In my experience most networking hasn't led me to obtaining a job. It got me tips but not necessarily a job. I've had more luck with that, "luck" not networking.

Unfortunately what's sad about having a degree in education is aside from jobs in education, that degree doesn't help you land jobs that you can actually make a fairly decent starting salary.

If you are able to, go back to school and get a degree in a growing field so you can get stable income. If not, I've been told by career counselors that people who left education can usually get entry level jobs in human resources and sales (although salaries aren't great).

While I'm still looking for a counseling job, I enrolled in an evening esthician school figuring I could get licensed and make money in that industry while waiting or to supplement my income part time if I get full time employment as a counselor. Unfortunately they closed the cheap evening program due to a lack of enrollment!

If I had no problem being around blood, vomit, or feces, I would have just become a nurse or dental hygienist like my mom wanted me to do LOL.

7. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Aug 12, 2015

What about something in the schools but not teacher...perhaps in the office, or a teachers assistant etc....it is full time work and pay and it gets you in the door with that school and division.