Time to be at school for subbing

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by stephaniedge, Nov 5, 2009.

1. stephaniedge

stephaniedge Rookie

Nov 5, 2009

My assignment states 1130-345pm so what time should I get there? I am aware that this is a half day for my schedule and a full day for the school. So I will be getting there at 11ish, but is that too early?

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 6, 2009

Well, it's always good to get there at LEAST 30 min earlier than your report time.

4. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Nov 6, 2009

I try to get to schools about 15 minutes before my start time to read over plans and make sure I know where everything is. Half-an-hour might be a little to early for a half day, because the teacher probably has to stay there until 11:30 and might not be expecting you that early.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 6, 2009

Is this a school you're familiar with? Have you subbed there before?

If you've worked there before and are familiar with the layout and your responsibilities, I think it would be fine to get there 10-15 minutes before the scheduled start time. If you haven't been there and need to figure out what's expected of you, I think you should get there 20-30 minutes early so that you can talk to the office manager.

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 6, 2009

Please don't take any offense to this, but I'm actually wondering why you have to ask us strangers what time you should be at work. Doesn't your district tell you what you should do, such as: Report to work at least ___ min BEFORE your designtated time.

If they didn't tell you & you're in doubt, you should definitely confirm w/ your district.

I mean I personally try to be anywhere 15-30 minutes ahead of time. That's my own personal rule. (These days, I'm never at a school I haven't been to many times, so I know their routine, therefore, I'd personally be there less than 30 min.) :)

7. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Nov 6, 2009

My report times require me to be there a half hour before school starts. When it's a mid-day report, I'd be there a few minutes early, unless I know for sure it's an ill teacher, then I'd show as soon as I can to let her go home.

8. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

Nov 6, 2009

I usually allow at least 30 minutes before start of class time. This gives me a chance to look over the room, check out any seating charts, visualize what sort of lesson plans I need to hand out to the students, and prepare for any little glitches.

If it's the 2nd day of a multiple day assignment, I can come in a little later.

9. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Nov 7, 2009

Yes I usually arrive at least 30 minutes beforehand.

10. stephaniedge

stephaniedge Rookie

Nov 8, 2009

this is my first time subbing...=[ and i am signed up for 10 districts just to keep my schedule full.

11. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Nov 8, 2009

Wow! Ten districts! How far are you willing to drive? Most of the districts near me weren't even taking applications this year. There were so many lay-offs that the sub lists are filled up.

12. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Nov 8, 2009

I'm a classroom teacher, not a sub. When I have half-day subs, they invariably show up at exactly the time listed (in your example, 11:30). It makes me so nervous! I start fretting that maybe they won't show up and then what do I do? Cancel my appointment? Split my class? I always feel like I have to stay a few minutes longer to give them a chance to look over the plans. I WISH the sub would be there at least 10 minutes early. I realize you only get paid for the contracted time, however.

13. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Nov 8, 2009

You may be spreading yourself out too thin.

There is a correlation between how many jobs you accept and how often you will be called, so if you work for too many districts, you will be turning down most jobs from all of them, and hence receive few calls from each one.
    You also have a lesser chance to know many important people well enough for them to remember you if an opening develops.

Three districts keep be busy from 160-170 days a year, but this has been a slow year due to layoffs. I have already missed 14 days. I usually have misssed only 7 or 8 by now.

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 8, 2009

Woah! :eek: 10 districts...they must contain a small amt of schools. The most I was ever signed up w/ was 3, but then 1 of them was 1 if not the largest district in the county w/ 34 schools. Well, any district would probably say arrive at least 30 min ahead of your report time.

Good luck & have fun! :)

15. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Nov 9, 2009

I think about 15-20 mins is good enough unless its a full day then you might need 30mins to read leason plan, go to restroom, put up lunch find stuff needed for the day. etc... I have never been a reg. teacher only sub, but I have seen the panic in teachers and/or aides face/voice etc...when they think they have a sub who is not going to show up or is going to be late.

16. stc1960

stc1960 New Member

Nov 9, 2009

Loved subbing

I loved subbing and did it for quite a while.
    Normally your district will tell you what what time you should report.
    Secondary schools normally require a little less time before school
    starts, while elementary schools require a little more time.
    If you are required to report in the middle of the day, I would be
    there at least a half hour before the time just to be safe.

Stephen Carr

17. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Nov 11, 2009

I agree that the district will tell you what time, but my district should tell subs in plenty of time which they don't. They tell us to get the school by 7:45 but that is late in my book. I ame for 7:15-7:30 for a full day. 7:45 does not give me enough time to look over lesson plan, go to restroom, sign in, get assignment if I don't already know it, put up lunch/purse etc...

18. luv2teachmusic

luv2teachmusic Rookie

Nov 12, 2009

For a half day I only arrive 10 minutes early max- usually the teacher is not yet prepared for me. Many times the teacher even stays longer. Many times I also do two half days in one day, so I have to come late (for the same district of course) to the other school. In that case, the sub coordinator calls the other school to let them know.

19. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Nov 13, 2009

The way I see it is if your late for a half day then you might as well not even come. I mean the district is already only paying you for about 4 hrs. With that being said though one time(close to a holiday break I think) I got called last min. by the office staff at 12 noon wanting me to come asap and finish out the day getting half day pay. I think there was a death in the teachers family out of town and she needed to go home and pack and leave asap.

20. IAMdoneSubbing

IAMdoneSubbing Companion

Nov 15, 2009

When I sub the whole day, despite the class starting at , say 7:50 AM or 7:55AM, the time to report is the I am given for the day, say 7:30-2:05 (or 2:15).

So, same thing here, as long as you get there by 11:30 (since the time told you was 11:30 to 3:45), you're fine.

21. IAMdoneSubbing

IAMdoneSubbing Companion

Nov 15, 2009

If the school wants to the sub to come earlier, the sub should be requested to show up earlier. A lot of time, these half a day assignments begins with the class period that is either Prep or lunch for the teacher which the sub doesn't know in advance. To me, that's is very annoying to have to rush over there and once I got there, I'd just be sitting (say if I already had lunch for the day).

BTW, most school districts do not go by the hour. In my districts, it's either full day (more then 3 1/2 hour) or half a day (up to 3 1/2 hour).

22. IAMdoneSubbing

IAMdoneSubbing Companion

Nov 15, 2009

You signed up for 10 districts and you got half a day assignments? If I were you, I'd not bother takling half a day assignments in advance. I mean, I'd take it only nothign else was offered. By taking half a day assignments, you got yourself tied up for that day.

23. IAMdoneSubbing

IAMdoneSubbing Companion

Nov 15, 2009

Well, the schools in both of the districts I sub do not ooen the front office door until 7:30AM. And my full days starts at 7:30 and so I just aim to get there at 7:30am. No point in getting there early and stand outside the office since it 's locked. A few times I got halfd a day assignments, I just there in time the same way and in all of them, the first period is either a recess time, or prep time or lunch time.

24. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Nov 15, 2009

Ok thats just irresponsible on the school school's part to not let teachers/subs in to prep for their day/morning wow!! Also the first period of your day could be lunch! Who wants to eat lunch at 8am. WOW!!!!! I would not want to sub in that school/district.

25. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Nov 15, 2009

Me either!

The schools that I sub in usually start anywhere from 7:30-9. They almost always let the subs into the office, give you the keys and you are on your way to start the day.

The office should at least give subs the decency to be let in, especially on cold days!

26. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Nov 15, 2009

Subs definately should be there early. If you are subbing at 11:30 I would assume that means that you start teaching at that time. You want to do a good job so it is better to be there too early than too late, especially as you get used to subbing and a specific school.

Perhaps sometimes you don't start right away, but you should assume that is your start time. You want to be there early enough to read lesson plans, etc. As a teacher (who has subbed) I ALWAYS know when a supply doesn't come in until the last minute because they always are the ones who leave notes with questions that I answered in my plans.

It drives me crazy when subs don't read plans ahead of time. I can't show up for work when class starts and just start teaching. Neither can a sub. I expect my subs to be professional and that means reading the plans ahead of time - hence being there early.

A sub may be paid for 7 1/2 hours in my district for a day, but being paid over 210$ for that 7 1/2 hours I expect them to be prepared when they start that 7 1/2 hours.

27. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Nov 15, 2009

I only make $60 a day to sub but I am still there early enough to read the whole lesson plan and be ready for the students I will have that day(s).

28. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Nov 15, 2009

When I subbed in elementary schools, there was one particular school that didn't open their office door till 10 minutes before the bell. Just enough time to grab a key and go. In this one case there was no reason to get there early.
    At another school where I currently sub, I get there 10 -15 minutes before the bell just so I can get good parking, but our sub rosters aren't available till 5 minutes before the bell.

29. IAMdoneSubbing

IAMdoneSubbing Companion

Nov 16, 2009

Tell me about it. There are time that I had to wait in the front office to get the key (and roster) that by the time, I got to the classroom, it's time to pick up the kids and I got not time to even skim through the lesson plan. So, I just took the lesson plan and try to read it on my way to the playground.

I was referring to half a day assignments:)

30. IAMdoneSubbing

IAMdoneSubbing Companion

Nov 16, 2009

Tell me about it. There was this one highschool that used to ask to be there at 7:25 am but the secreatary arrived there at 7:30am and wouldn't opened the door after she of therself setted there. The other sub I were just shaking out heads, standing outside. After couple of that experience of standing i the cold last winter, I just ddn't try to get there before 7:30am though I tried to get there before the traffic near the school builds up.

31. IAMdoneSubbing

IAMdoneSubbing Companion

Nov 16, 2009

Do you ever give consideration the sub gets interrupted and lost precious time to read thos elesson plans before the picking up the kids?

I remembred a few time when my time to read the lesson plans were literally ruined by having to wait for the keys in the front of office, the teacher (to be subbed for) or a next door teacher telling me this and that as if I would remmeber all that little detail when dealing wiht the kids constantly challenging you, or parents asking me this and that as if I was the regular teacher.

And once there was this 4 pages of lesson plan + about the students written in helter-skelter form. The teacher mentioned about the behavior of each group of her kids but not in an oragnized way but all over the 4 pages.

In my opinion, no sub would be so unwise to not read a well written lesson plan ahead if he/she gets the time and opportunity to do so.

32. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Nov 16, 2009

I am sorry if this sounds rude, but NO excuse. That is why you get there in plenty of time.If you are there in plenty of time with extra time to spare then if your stopped you will still have time. Now I can understand if you did not know about a job until last min. or the every now and then chance of something coming up(oversleeping,traffic, or got stoped by police etc.)

33. IAMdoneSubbing

IAMdoneSubbing Companion

Nov 16, 2009

I see that you have NO logi with your line of "NO excuse" when the office didn't even let you inside until they opened at 7:30AM and then didn't tell give you the key to the room in time for the sub to be there early enough to read it before picking up the kids at the playground.

You are talking like you regular teachers always have your act together and wrote a perfect lesson plan. Today, I got a call at 7:10 or 7:15 am by the district to sub at a middle school (6-8) . I got out of bed, brushed my teeth and washed my face, moisture my face, and then got breakfast and lunch ready, then finsihing gettign ready and left and got to the school at 7:50 only to find out that the front office secretary didn't even know that that teacher needed a sub. Considering that the teacher had an emergency and so didn't get to call her yet but after I go to the classroom with no attendance list much less a lesson plan, I felt grateful that the the teacher called the classroom phone just wihtin a couple minute I got to to the desk and I got to find out the lesson plan for the first period. I was alos grateful that I got 20 mins break after that to eat my breakfast but during the 2nd period, the lesson plan was not for this class but for a different class. Way to go!

34. IAMdoneSubbing

IAMdoneSubbing Companion

Nov 16, 2009

35. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Nov 17, 2009

It does not matter whose responsibility it is, it's just important that both the teacher and the sub know how to improvise when moments like this occur.

36. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Nov 17, 2009