time on AtoZ

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by bonneb, Feb 23, 2008.

1. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Feb 23, 2008

Ok, "let's get down to the nitty gritty!"

How many of you spend time on here when you should be doing other stuff????

It is so relaxing and interesting for me, I spend time I should be doing other stuff. :woot:
    Time can get away so fast on here! On that note, I am off to clean my classroom! And plan! And make copies! And do grading!! :help:

3. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Feb 23, 2008

Well...I am on right now when the house is quiet and I could be: doing laundry, dishes, cleaning any number of things, bills, talking to my husband. But, I'd rather be on AtoZ to find humor and help.:)

4. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Feb 23, 2008

I should be showering, cleaning and doing homework. Blah!

5. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Feb 23, 2008

It is just such a convenient escape . . . and unlike T.V. you can actually appear to be doing something constructive! Actually, the vast majority of what is on here is constructive, either learning from others, helping others, or having fun!

6. bakingdiva

bakingdiva Companion

Feb 23, 2008

I keep saying that this site should come with a warning label! I love to come here when i should be cleaning, homework, etc. So much more fun and I always leave with some great ideas.

7. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Feb 23, 2008

You mean we are NOT supposed to be on this site for 10 hours a day???

I thought I was doing professional development......... :(

Yep I spent too much time here, :lol:

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 23, 2008

Add me to the "too much time here" club. I usually check in at about 3-4 times a day--first thing in the morning, lunch time, and in the evening. If I am gone for too long, it takes too long to catch up on all of the new posts!

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 23, 2008

I check in throughout the day when I'm home (was home all week on break!:p)....I'm addicted to email as well. Even at school if my red flag is up on school email I need to go check it (not in the middle of a lesson, but transitions, when the kids are working independently or at a special- but only a quickie check!!...Luckily my principal is the same way so if she walks in while I'm checking she gets it!!

10. Amers

Amers Cohort

Feb 23, 2008

Well, I need to go to the grocery store, do laundry, work on wedding plans, do lesson plans.....and yet here I am. This just sounds more interesting to me right now.

11. elizak83

elizak83 Companion

Feb 23, 2008

Even though I barely post I read on here a lot. My bf calls it the "evil site" because he thinks I'm on it too much. He threatened to block it from the computer. (He was just kidding.)
    It's the first web page on go on when I get home from work. I come to search for something then I accidently spend hours reading..whoops.

12. Budaka

Budaka Cohort

Feb 23, 2008

I enjoy being on here because it is relaxing for me and my children (my own that is) think that it is "work". I do not, however, check it at work unless I am looking up lesson ideas because I would get in trouble. Although I was impressed that at our last professional development day our presenter reccommend a to z as a good place to go to get stuff!

13. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 23, 2008

Hello, my name is smalltowngal, and I am addicted to AtoZ. Whew! Its good to get that off my chest. I normally check in multiple times a day. First thing in the morning, when I get home from work, and after dinner. I agree with the poster that said if you don't, the posts start adding up! :eek:

14. who me

who me Rookie

Feb 23, 2008

I must admit I'm addicted too. Although I don't post often, I'm here often "listening" and learning. I love this site. I think we should get credited for professional development units for our time spent on this site. :)

15. Turtle321

Turtle321 Companion

Feb 23, 2008

I, too, lurk more than I post. I have gotten some great advice from the 'regulars' on A to Z though...and that is great! :)

16. Budaka

Budaka Cohort

Feb 23, 2008

I wish you would post more, though. I love that crazy turtle!

17. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Feb 23, 2008

You stole my intro :lol: I love this site :wub:

I am on here way more than I should be. But I don't think sharing, caring and learning from other great teachers is a bad vice to have.

18. becky

becky Enthusiast

Feb 23, 2008

I don't feel like I'm here too much, but I do feel like I need a mental break, and that's what coming here provides. By homeschooling, I'm responsible for every subject Jeannie does, and I get sick of reading, planning and preparing. The weekend is my mental break, lol.

19. smalltowngal

Feb 23, 2008

Sorry INteacher...I thought long and hard on it! And I know you're on a quest to get out of the "supporter" mode! Aren't we all trying to get to the next level now? I would think there will be a lot more posting going on.

20. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Feb 23, 2008

My husband say every new mode characterizes the level of addiction. :eek:
    I can't believe I was unaware of this site before. It is such a supportive site...and so much fun.

21. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 23, 2008

Thank God I can't get on in my classroom!

22. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Feb 23, 2008

This site is my therapy! Too bad I can't submit it to Blue Cross and Blue Shield!! I know this is the place to go to feel better, find others to commiserate with and get some great ideas. Who better to understand teachers than - OTHER TEACHERS!

23. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Feb 23, 2008

I spend way too much time here...but it is better than mindless television.

I often get interested in a subject because of a post I'll read, and then spend hours researching it.

But all-in-all, I spend too much time here.

Oh well...if that is the worst thing I do in life, I'm okay.

24. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Feb 23, 2008

Sadly, I usually come home from work and log on just to read any new threads or responses. Then I prepare dinner and do laundry and check throughout the night.

It beats the boob tube and it actually feels like I'm having a conversation with friends:D

25. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Feb 23, 2008

I like it because it is like talking to your friends in your jammies!

26. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Feb 23, 2008

Why would your friends be wearing YOUR jammies?

:lol:

I couldn't resist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :haha:

27. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Feb 23, 2008

LOL! My grammar stands corrected. Should read - Talking to my friends while I am wearing MY JAMMIES!! It is late and my eyes are tired.

28. bluelightstar

bluelightstar Companion

Feb 23, 2008

This forum is why I have a stack of 59 papers on King Henry's soliloquy on my nightstand.

29. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 24, 2008

I got a chuckle from the jammies thing. That's a great reason to check in here frequently!

I also love to visit and do laundry. That way, I can pretend I'm actually doing housework.

30. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Feb 24, 2008

What pretending??? You do have to get up and put in the detergent and then the fabric softener and then transfer them to the dryer and then when the dryer buzzes take them out and fold them and start all over again - sure sounds like work to me!

31. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Feb 24, 2008

I am also on here way too much! I often just lurk and read, but I enjoy seeing what is going on with everyone. I remember when I joined I thought "How do all these people 'know' each other?" Well folks, I can name many of you now and feel like I know your personalities. I love it, it is like hanging out with friends, don't always have to talk, but enjoy the time none the less.

32. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Feb 25, 2008

My thing is, I set time aside to work in the classroom when the kids are not here, like all day Sat., then spend a few hours on here instead! I don't know if there is "too much time," but I feel guilty sometimes because I know I should be doing something else. But on the other hand, I don't do much for fun for myself . . . so . . .

33. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 25, 2008

Yeah, teacher333, that's right. Okay, I feel better about it now. And, I know how you feel, dizzy. It seems strangely like everyone is gathered in a huge living room or something. I just wish I had a better memory so I could quickly remember particulars about everybody.

34. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 25, 2008

I feel exactly the same way--this really is a community! :love:

35. smalltowngal

Feb 25, 2008

:hugs: to everyone! I feel the same way. I find myself talking about someone's situation, and the person will ask who it is...when I tell them the screen name their like Huh?...Then we have a good laugh!

36. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Feb 25, 2008

Uh , My husband hears me talking about things that so and so said, and I think he thinks I'm a little crazy.... tee hee:D:whistle:

37. Briana008

Briana008 Companion

Feb 25, 2008

Ok, I'll join the fray. Yes, I too am addicted to AtoZ. It has been tremendously helpful so far as I've prepared for exams and now starting my job search in earnest. Just wait until I get a job; I'm sure I'll post every day!

Plus, some of these threads just crack me up. Seriously. :)

~Briana~