Time off around the Holidays

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Pisces_Fish, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Sep 29, 2013

Yes, I'm thinking about Christmas, already. I actually don't care about the holiday so much as the time with family. I've lived 700 mi from them for 6 years and I love going back for visits! :)

I hate how my district doesn't give a "travel day" around the holidays. Yes, I know my job is to teach, but I have always felt it unreasonable, even as a kid, to return on January 2nd, giving time for people to get back home from traveling.

Do you feel it's unreasonable to request a personal day on 1/2/14 to fly back? The difference in flying home on the 2nd as opposed to the 1st is more than $200! The worst thing that can happen is he will say no, but if anyone deems this severely unprofessional I will rethink it.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 29, 2013

I don't think it's unreasonable at all. Keep in mind, however, that some districts have policies not to approve personal days before and after holidays. In my district, this sort of policy is the official, on-the-books policy, but in practice most principals will approve your request if you aren't an abuser of personal days and if you make your request well in advance.

I say ask. It can't hurt to ask.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 29, 2013

My old P in NC was great about those things. I missed the first two workdays a few years ago due to sudden illness- aka my cousin's wedding. Last year, I missed the whole week before spring break due to another 'illness'. My district changed our spring break after I had plans- my 30th birthday fell during the original.
    I always had to use sick days so I didn't get in trouble from the district.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 29, 2013

This is how it is in my district as well.

We don't go back until the next Monday.

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 29, 2013

My last job & the new one I have now, I return the following Monday...well, ALWAYS Tuesday for me!

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 30, 2013

It depends very much on your school. Some are very much against it, others not so much.

We always go back Jan 3. I think this year, that means we get a full 2 weeks off :)

Good luck!

8. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Sep 30, 2013

Last year I took off one day before break to go home. Again, the difference in airfare was around $300.

My director was ******, but I already had my plane ticket and there was nothing she could do about it. :)

9. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 30, 2013

We are strongly discouraged from doing so, and a note goes in our file if we do. As long as we still have personal days left, they can't really stop us. I think if we use a sick day to back up to a school holiday, we have to provide a doctor's note, or we are docked a day of pay, which also screws up our continuous service and our retirement.

10. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Sep 30, 2013

In my district, you are not allowed to take a personal day either the day before or the day back from any break (winter, thanksgiving, even one day offs like MLK day) without major prior approval from upper ranks (which is hard to get) or a doctor's note if sick.

This year, we get 2 full weeks so we don't go back until Jan 6th, which will be tons better IMO.

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 30, 2013

Only one school year at the last job I worked at for 10+ yrs, they had 3 weeks off for Christmas vacation. I guess they just wanted to try it one year, but they never did it again. I rather loved it myself! Maybe they hought that was a little too long.

12. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Sep 30, 2013

Just remembered- I also took off two days before spring break one year to have a surgery done.

13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Sep 30, 2013

We go back on the 6th this year but usually it's the 2nd or 3rd. If we do not have a dr. note we don't get paid if we take the day after a holiday off.

14. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 30, 2013

It's always been frowned upon where I've worked. Asked this year to take the day off before Thanksgiving break. We have Wednesday off. I was told no, we have a major We Give Thanks Lunch that we invite the community to. It's a major deal. I'm going to try & leave about 1/2 hour early so I can catch my flight & not have to stress about it. DS is doing a college tour the day before Thanksgiving.