Time Management - Help Please!!

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by luv2teach1st, Sep 22, 2009.

1. luv2teach1st

luv2teach1st Rookie

Sep 22, 2009

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas or suggestions about time management skills... While teaching lessons, I sometimes don't pay attention to the time and essentially lose important time in the classroom. How can I improve this!?

3. prek176

prek176 Companion

Sep 22, 2009

I have a timer that originally came from one of the OT's. The red on the timer disappears as the time runs out. The kids have to complete their work before the red is gone. They are quite good about watching it.

Some people use timers that ding when the time is up. I prefer the visual.

Hopefully this helps?!

4. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Sep 22, 2009

I can get distracted. A lot.
    So much so that all my plans might go out the window if I think of something else I like that day, or if I simply lose track of time. Obviously, this does not go over well with the kids who need structure, admins, or my responsibility to get through curriculum.
    So this helps me tremendously:
    Every day, I put my schedule for the day in the form of a list on the left hand side of the board. I read it to my students. They know what's got to get done today, so it's an incentive for me to stay on track --(There's nothing better for the reputation then when a child comes home saying "guess what Mom, we skipped math AGAIN today!", right? :thumb:) and it get the kids excited about the day.

I also have child check things off as we go along... so we all know where we're holding with our plans.

This together with the timer mentioned by the previous poster might help. Good Luck!

5. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Sep 22, 2009

I use the timers and I also have a list of the days schedule so the kids remind me if we skip over specific things.

6. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Sep 23, 2009

my coworker doesn't have access to those red timer thingys so I hear her phone going off a lot during the day. She sets her phone alarm =)

7. kim@kto5

kim@kto5 Rookie

Sep 25, 2009

Ahead of time, I plan my day and schedule time slots to follow. In class, I like the idea of using a magnetic dry erase boards which I use to write down my list of items for the day, and I use colored magnets to mark the status of the item. Red signifies an unfinished item, and green means it's completed. It helps me stay on track and then the kids know what's on the agenda as well.

8. luv2teach1st

luv2teach1st Rookie

Sep 25, 2009

Thanks so much!! Your ideas are wonderful, and they helped a lot.