Time Management-Advice!

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by Lyddy, Sep 18, 2004.

1. Lyddy

Lyddy Rookie

Sep 18, 2004

Hello!

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice. I find that teaching my Special Day Class has been an almost 24-7 experience so far. Because I am new I have to carefully go over all material (room was stripped) and I stay up every night until past 1:00 a.m.! I tried to get more organized last week (my third week) and did some extra pre planning but I still felt overwhelmed. I have two aides,one is helpful and one comes late and leaves early. I wanted to ask experienced teachers how they plan their week and what they do ahead and how they use aides to help with prep work. I am working on four different spelling lists each week, separate math packets, 10 different homework packets (parents insisted they wanted homework some don't finish their class work)-etc and still trying to make learning "fun" by planning science experiments, fun activities and "building a classroom community".

Except for "Daily Oral Language" it seems that after I figured out what work would be appropriate and IEP directed-it has been so time consuming to organize all of it. I do some group teaching but for math and reading I have groups. In between all this I am trying to test and get ready for two IEP's coming right up and back to school night. I feel unless I get my time under control I will be spending the year doing what I have been-staying late-going to bed in the middle of the night-and spending all weekend "getting ready" for the next week. I don't want to burn out so I am hoping someone may have suggestions. My "advisor" has been ill and we have never met. I am so busy just doing what I need to do I don't have time to ask others at work-and of course they are busy as well. Is this a typical "first year"? I would truly appreciate any ideas! Thanks! Lyddy

3. beetsjeep

beetsjeep Rookie

Oct 9, 2004

That sounds like my first year. Now being "experienced" and on to my second year...lol...i find things are much easier and i'm not as stressed as last year. There's a lot of things that need to be done. With the EA situation, I would talk with the EA right away and let him/her know how important it is that he/her come in at **:** time. If you have to make a list of things that need to be completed before school starts. Explain these need to be done before this time. Explain that you understand things may come up and if he/she is running late to give you a quick call so you know what to expect. As for leaving early do the list thing again. Let him/her know what you expect after school. Let them know you appreciate their help (even if it is lacking). Some of these things that you are staying up late doing you can have your EA's help you with. EA management was one of the most important things I learned the first year. If after talking with your EA and things don't change, bring it up again. If after that it doesn't happen talk to your principal, lead teacher etc. Just make sure you document everything. We've had some problems with EA's in the past and that documenation really helps show your case. You want to be on the same team, but you also have to think in terms that you are the person that gives them directives. If those directives are not followed, they aren't doing there job and there is somebody else out there that will do the job. Good luck.

4. cmbogner

cmbogner Rookie

Oct 9, 2004

Ditto on Beetsjeep's reply. After teaching for 10 years, I still feel overwhelmed at times...that is just special ed. for ya. Things I have learned through the years are to not waste any information that you have gathered. I use binders & whole punch everything to put in them. Just keeping the information that I've created will help cut down on feeling overwhelmed all over again next year. The thing of it is...every child that enters your room will always have different needs. I still find myself creating new worksheets & spelling lists. I also "begged, borrowed, & stole" information from my special ed. coworkers...they were always a great help and we even now tend to ask for certain workbooks, books. Your advisor should help you as well find info. & tips on how to cut down on your day. As for your aide...you're always going to run into that. Just make clear what your expectations are...I usually type out a list(still having to convince my new aide of that this year!) I've had my aides in the past do just about everything with the exception of putting grades on papers & work with the IEP's...ask around the building because some schools don't like their aides even copying. Good luck & year by year...it'll get easier. Sounds like you're just having a typical 1st year.