Time Magazine Cover

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by JustMe, May 11, 2012.

1. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 11, 2012

Seen the new Time cover showing a mother breastfeeding her son? Other photos are inside...the children are three and four years old. I watched a documentary once about breastfeeding a seven year old. Any thoughts? How old is too old?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 11, 2012

I am generally of the "live and let live" camp, but I have to admit that I think it's very weird to breastfeed a four-year-old or a seven-year-old. I can't think of any animals in nature who let their young drink from the teat for 3 or 4+ years.

4. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

May 12, 2012

I would think that after 2 is too old.

However, when I was a child, my mom did a lot of things "wrong." I slept in my parents' room until I was 9, for example. But I still turned out alright. And I also assume that some cultures think it's normal while other cultures don't.

5. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

May 12, 2012

Honestly,I find it rather disgusting. I am not anti breast feeding, but I do not see its purpose when a child is older than a year. Nurturing a child does happen even if a mother does not breast feed.

6. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

May 12, 2012

The practice seems weird to me, but whatever: so does golf. The image on the cover is totally creepy and perverse-looking, since the woman seems determined to look sexually attractive at such a...um...moment. (blech)

7. BettyRubble

BettyRubble Rookie

May 12, 2012

I don't like the picture or headline they chose but have no qualms to extended breastfeeding. There are actually many benefits to it and the AAP, AAFP, and WHO all recommend breastfeeding beyond the age of 1. I personally wouldn't want to nurse my 3-4 year old but was sad my son self-weaned at 15 months after originally thinking I wouldn't go past 12 months. I understand it's not the social norm in our country but comments on other pages disgusted me - calling it child abuse, pedophilia, saying she was damaging her son for life, etc. The mother was on the Today show yesterday and said he's in the process of self-weaning and she expects to be done soon. I'd imagine he's not nursing more than once or twice a day at this point so I don't really see the big deal. TIME wanted to sell its magazines with the cover and it worked.

On one other forum I'm on, one poster seemed fixated that this boy was going to have major issues stemming from extending breastfeeding when he was a teenager. I wanted to wager that the majority of kids' issues these days don't come from being on the breast into preschool age.

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 12, 2012

I can't help but wonder how this will affect him when he is a teenager or adult. If kids remember (or find out) he will be teased relentlessly.

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 12, 2012

From what I read last night, which wasn't directly from these organizations but articles which cited their recommendations, the age given was "up to two". I think there is a big difference between two and four...

10. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 12, 2012

I saw this on E-news last night. To me it just seems weird and unnecessary.

11. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

May 12, 2012

I've always believed breastfeeding is for BABIES, not toddlers. If you want to breastfeed your baby, have at it. But your 3 or 4 year old?!?! Too weird.

12. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

May 12, 2012

All four of my kids were breast fed. The last two longer. My boy had to be weaned because his sister was almost here. I think he was almost three. I have heard in some cultures it goes longer than 3 or 4 even. I have no problem with it or when ladies BF in public.
    I think people that see it as vulgar or something bad need something more important to worry about. Our culture is schizophrenic sometimes. We get uptight about natural things but let popular culture inundate us with sex and violence 24/7.

13. BettyRubble

BettyRubble Rookie

May 12, 2012

The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that “Breastfeeding should be continued for at least the first year of life and beyond for as long as mutually desired by mother and child… Increased duration of breastfeeding confers significant health and developmental benefits for the child and the mother… There is no upper limit to the duration of breastfeeding and no evidence of psychologic or developmental harm from breastfeeding into the third year of life or longer.” (AAP 2005)

The American Academy of Family Physicians recommends that breastfeeding continue throughout the first year of life and that “As recommended by the WHO, breastfeeding should ideally continue beyond infancy, but this is not the cultural norm in the United States and requires ongoing support and encouragement. It has been estimated that a natural weaning age for humans is between two and seven years. Family physicians should be knowledgeable regarding the ongoing benefits to the child of extended breastfeeding, including continued immune protection, better social adjustment, and having a sustainable food source in times of emergency. The longer women breastfeed, the greater the decrease in their risk of breast cancer.” They also note that “If the child is younger than two years of age, the child is at increased risk of illness if weaned.” (AAFP 2008)

Here's the source
    http://kellymom.com/ages/older-infant/ebf-benefits/

She also notes extended breastfeeding is beneficial for the mother as it reduces the risk of breast, ovarian, uterine, and endometrial cancer, as well as protects against osteoporosis and rheumatoid arthritis.

As a culture, we have so many other food sources available to us that to us so our children don't have to rely on their mother to be their food source as long as children in other countries, which is why it seems unnatural to us to breastfeed for a long time. But when you think about it, we're quick to stop nursing our children when they're still babies (a 1-year-old is still pretty much a baby!) but have no qualms feeding them milk from other animals instead of milk that is best suited for our species.

14. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 12, 2012

This is part of the Attachment Parenting movement advocated by some well-known pediatrician. It includes the practice of the family bed.

It does seem strange in our culture and almost indulgent. How many mothers have the amount of time or energy that it takes to breastfeed for years? But, it doesn't bother me at all. If that is what works for a family, then fine. We did have a child in our school who was breastfed until he started kindergarten. He was rather timid and over-protected, also brilliant, but I have no idea if that was related to the breastfeeding.

15. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 12, 2012

Ah, to each their own I guess. This isn't something I would do and I would probably be uncomfortable being around someone who did. I was watching a news station that was talking about this and they mentioned a family that did the attachment parenting. These parents wouldn't even allow anyone to babysit their children or spend the night with friends or family.

16. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

May 12, 2012

Again:

the practice - whatever (averts eyes).

the cover - creepy. (raises eyebrows)

17. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

May 12, 2012

It's been getting a lot of press lately-Mayim Balik (I know I probably spelled that wrong)-she used to play Blossum, is now on Big Bang Theroy just wrote a book about using it with her kids.

They also literally carry the child on them in a sling every moment, even in the house, where many might put them in a walker or playpen. They don't believe in saying the word "no" to their kids). Different people use different aspects of it.

I think they made the cover controversial on purpose-look how many people are talking about attachment parenting now.

18. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

May 12, 2012

I always thought bf was just for babies. ...

19. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 12, 2012

Yes, I was reading a lot about this attachment parenting thing. So...interesting.

Betty...thanks for the information. As I said, I was reading what someone else was saying about these recommendations and not from them directly.

20. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

May 12, 2012

Yes!

Me personally, it seems lik breast feeding beyond a year old seems more for the mother than child. As someone else said, we have so many options available to us we don't need to utilize breast milk beyond when necessary. Either way, its not a fight I need to be in.

Like TeachOn, I'm way more creeped out my the actual cover than the idea itself. Who are you trying to turn on with your "sexy face" while breast feeding??

21. comaba

comaba Cohort

May 12, 2012

For me, the creepiness of the cover is about the directions I'm imagining as the photographer staged the photo. :eek:

22. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 12, 2012

Breast feeding aside, how in the world is it good to carry a baby everywhere you go?

23. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

May 12, 2012

Talk about teaching self reliance....

24. Jeky

Jeky Comrade

May 12, 2012

I am pro-BF (when it is mutually beneficial to both mom and baby) and did so with my daughter for the first year of her life.
    At the same time, I look at my daughter who is almost 2 and can't imagine BF'ing her even at this age. I guess it is a personal decision, but I agree that it is more for the benefit of the mother than the child at that age. Nutritionally, a baby needs more than breastmilk after one year....
    Regarding the attachment parenting, I personally think it is possible to teach your child independence by setting boundaries while also showing them unconditional love :)

25. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

May 12, 2012

I breast fed both of my children...my son until he bit me. My daughter until she was around 15 months.

26. bison

bison Habitué

May 12, 2012

I don't see how the cover is creepy or sexy. She looks like she's just making a neutral face and a defiant type pose, which matches the title of the story. I think they're going for attitude, not sexy. Is it just because there's part of a breast in it?

I'm pro-breast feeding when possible just because it's so healthy for baby and mom, but I could not care less how long people choose to do it (within reason). As someone mentioned, we wean a lot sooner than other countries do and it's often recommended to breastfeed for 2+ years. I'd probably be uncomfortable with a non-baby-aged child doing it right in front of me just because I've honestly never really been around a lot of women while they breastfed, maybe just one or two. Lack of exposure rather than a problem with it. I'd easily get used to it. Of course, this is within reason. A seven year old breast feeding might weird me out a little bit. If/When I have biological kids, I hope I'm able to breastfeed for at least a year.

I don't see how anyone does attachment parenting. I don't know enough to say whether or not it's successful or beneficial to the children, but I feel like it would drive me nuts.

Jeky, I could be mistaken but I believe they introduce other foods as well. Not just breast milk.

27. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

May 13, 2012

They believe it makes the baby feel more secure, cry less, extends the bonds, they are closer to adults and can observe body language, etc. displaying their own sooner.

I used to work in daycare and remember a 2 1/2 -year old student whose mom would come breastfeed him (they had to ask her to do it in her car and not in front of the other kids). He used to fight her tooth and nail. It did seem very strange to me.

28. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 13, 2012

Ouch!!

29. Jeky

Jeky Comrade

May 13, 2012

Yes, of course they do.... I was just referring to the fact that beyond one year, breastmilk is not designed to be the sole source of nutrition for human babies; which to me, shows that it is more for the sake of the mother's comfort than the true need of the baby/toddler :)

30. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 13, 2012

This is how I viewed the cover as well. I didn't think that she was putting on her sexy face or anything like that.

31. comaba

comaba Cohort

May 13, 2012

The American Academy of Pediatrics, WHO, and Unicef recommend breastfeeding for at least the first year. Actually, the latter 2 recommend it for at least 2 years.

While many, most, or even all mothers enjoy breastfeeding, I believe most do it because they feel it is a benefit to their children, and not for their own comfort.

32. Jeky

Jeky Comrade

May 13, 2012

On what basis/experience do you make this claim? I think that is a very general statement to make; out of all of the mothers I know, including myself, the reasons for initiating and continuing breastfeeding vary greatly, from mother to mother and from child to child.

I was merely pointing out that the physiological benefits for breastfeeding decreases greatly between years 1 and 2. :)

ETA: That is why AAP and Unicef and everyone else recommends breastfeeding for AT LEAST the first 1-2 years and no longer; after that it is not longer really necessary, but can continue to the comfort level of the mom or baby

33. comaba

comaba Cohort

May 13, 2012

Yes, I suppose it was a very general statement. I made it on the basis of my experience, as well as all the mothers I know, including a couple who continued breastfeeding into the 4th year.
    On what basis do you make this statement? Even if the benefits decrease, they don't disappear.
    I disagree with the conclusions you've drawn from their stance. Truthfully, breastfeeding is rarely truly necessary; however, it is a benefit to the child as long as the mother chooses to do it.

Don't you think the bolded is a very general statement? :)

34. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 13, 2012

I've known many mothers, perhaps even most, who did not enjoy breastfeeding at all. So in my experience, they were happy to be finished with it after six months or a year. Or they didn't even do it in the first place beyond a couple of days or weeks because it was so unpleasant for them.

35. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

May 13, 2012

The cover photo is, to me, neither here nor there. What irritates me is the title-"Are You Mom Enough?" As in, if you don't do what this woman has chosen for HER life and HER son, then you're NOT Mom Enough? I hate when the media or whatever portrays parenting to be such a competition.

36. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 14, 2012

As soon as I was born, my parents set me on formula, and my mom went right back to work. (I rarely saw either of my parents during my childhood.) I had a type of wet-nurse, but I don't think she produced any milk. I remember watching a video of an English mom feeding her daughters by breast till they were 8.

37. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 14, 2012

I agree with this completely.

38. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 14, 2012

Exactly this.

39. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

May 14, 2012

Amen, Sister!!!

40. BettyRubble

BettyRubble Rookie

May 14, 2012

That is not quite accurate. They put an age on the recommendation but agree that it should go on as long as mutually desired by mother and child.

The AAP also recommends rear-facing your child until age 2 but of course it is best to keep them rear-facing until they outgrow the weight limit on the seat, which can be age 3+. Legally, most states allow rear-facing at age 1 and 20 pounds. The age is a guideline but nowhere do they say you shouldn't go past that age.

41. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

May 14, 2012

Wow. I have to pick my chin up off the floor. I'm really surprised by some of the comments on this thread. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion (obviously), and I'm not trying to change anyon'es mind, but there is some misinformation.

Here are principles of attachment parenting from Attachment Parenting International website): http://www.attachmentparenting.org/principles/principles.php

Yes, some people take it to the extreme. You'll find extremists with any philosophy.

TIME magazine was obviously trying to be shocking and divisive. After all, their business is to sell magazines.

I identify with the attachment parenting philosophy and I did nurse my son until he self-weaned at 2 1/2 years old.