Time games

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by maroki, Jun 1, 2007.

1. maroki

maroki Comrade

Jun 1, 2007

We are wrapping up our unit on time in my class and I want to have the students play some fun "time games". We use the Investigations curriculum and many of the lessons involve "choice time", during which the students choose to play a variety of math games that reinforce concepts we've already studied. However, time isn't covered by the Investigations curriculum and I'm struggling to think of engaging games (partner or small group) and activities that my students can do.

I teach 1st grade.

Thanks for the help!

3. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Jun 1, 2007

How about Time Bingo? Generate Bingo cards with the digital times of your choice (this would allow you to control for difficulty level, using only hours, half hours, quarter hours, etc. depending on your students' abilities). Then, use a Judy clock or similar display clock (you can use a cheap battery operated kitchen clock) to show analog times to students (or create cards with analog times for students to use as "calling cards" in small groups). Students mark the applicable digital time on their boards until someone gets bingo. I like the Bingo card generator at the Teach-Nology site (www.teach-nology.com).

A matching (Memory) game would also work well for partners--you could do digital times on blue cards, analog times on pink cards, then flip all cards face down. Students choose one card of each color and check for a match. This could work for concepts too--i.e. code blue cards as "AM" or "PM" and then put morning or evening activities on corresponding pink cards. I use this game format for lots of review activities across the content areas and my students seem to like it.

Hope some of that was helpful!

4. lnewbigging

lnewbigging Companion

Jun 1, 2007

I just finished Time as well, and one game my kids enjoyed was "What's my Time?" In partners I have them think of a time and put it on a clock and then think of clues for their partner to use to guess the time on their clock. Some clues could be, it is after 4:30 and before 5:00, the minute hand is pointing at an odd number etc. Then they switch. Hope this helps.