Time frame on Book Reports

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by ~Nicole, Jul 18, 2007.

1. ~Nicole

~Nicole Comrade

Jul 18, 2007

Is there a general rule of thumb on a time frame for book reports in 4th grade. I have always been an extremely fast reader so I'm no basis for comparison.

3. blessedmommyx3

blessedmommyx3 Rookie

Jul 18, 2007

I give my third graders one month to do their book report, but they have to read the book, fill out the form and make the project.

4. missdq

missdq Rookie

Jul 18, 2007

Im also a fourth grade teacher and i have been struggling with book reports as well. A friend of mine suggested having multiple due dates. One week to get book, 2 weeks to finish book, and another week to complete report. Basically the same month that blessedmommy suggested.

Do u guys have any suggestions on actual book report forms. I bought a great book from scholastin and then my luck our new third grade teacher bought the exact book and has done all the reports i wanted to do. Ive been searching online but i haven't found anything that i really like. I want hands on reports that students can have fun with.
    One idea ive used is to have them create picture books using one of their favprite books. and when it was completed it we read them to the first graders. It worked out great b/c 3 of my students had siblings in that class so they were really excited about it. It was alot of work but all my parents mentioned how surprised they were to see their kids actually excited to complete them.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 18, 2007

I gave 5th graders 1 month. It was almost all at-home reading.

6. Ms. Jane

Ms. Jane Companion

Jul 18, 2007

I also give my 3rd graders one month to read the book and do the project. The book reports are due on the last school day of every month.

7. MissaG

MissaG Companion

Jul 18, 2007

I always did a genre and a genre specific project per month. Most times, I assigned a novel/chapter book within the genre, but sometimes the students were required to read a nonfiction book also. For example: one month I focused on the difference between fiction and nonfiction in the classroom, so I had the students read a fiction and nonfiction on the same topic. They had a project to do comparing and contrasting the two and had a month to do it. I always gave them a checklist with smaller due dates so they wouldn't procrastinate.

8. peachieteachie

peachieteachie Comrade

Jul 18, 2007

I had the same question as Nicole and I agree with the one month deadline. I also liked the idea of breaking it down into different due dates - I'm going to try that!

9. SnowDaisy822

SnowDaisy822 Companion

Jul 19, 2007

I gave my 5th graders one month to read their books and do their projects. They're already required to read 25 minutes a night so they should get them done easily. The only ones who had problems were the slackers. I'm going to go with weekly updates I think because my slackers need help.

10. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 19, 2007

Wow, I need to give them longer! I have done 2 weeks, but they do a lot of reading and work in class as well. I always assign an art project to go with it (poster, collage, etc.) and they do that at home. They write the bulk of the report at school, then take it home and do the final draft and prepare the presentation. I have them write a section daily at school. For example, one day, we will do character, then the setting, and so on. I use current the read aloud as a model. They take all the drafts of the paragraphs home and then edit and revise them, type or write the final draft. The presentation includes a visual and a book talk. I only do a few a year.

11. Miss_snugs

Miss_snugs Rookie

Jul 19, 2007

For fifth grade I gave them one month. They had a specific genre to read and then they presented a "book talk" in front of the class which I graded. They had to bring in props, sometimes they dressed up. I prefered this to book reports because I didn't have to sit and read 23 book reports. I just graded as they presented. They did have to hand in an outline of their book talk and that counted as part of the grade as well.

12. missdq

missdq Rookie

Jul 19, 2007

sounds like a nice idea, but how long is each presentation? How many students present each day? it sounds like it could take a whole week to hear them all out. and in my school I have so little time to teach reading.

13. blessedmommyx3

blessedmommyx3 Rookie

Jul 19, 2007

My kids also have to present their report each month. At Back to School night parents get the rubric for their book reports (same rubric for each month) and it includes a speaking and listening component. Giving their reports takes about one hour each month. Definately worth it to work on being comfortable speaking in front of a group, and working on speaking skills (eye contact, speaking clearly, etc.)

14. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2007

Okay, I have a question. Are you guys assigning 1 book and 1 project per month? I'm asking because I downloaded some great reading goals, but these goals required reading about 3 books a month and doing project/assingment for each book. Now I'm wondering if that's too much????

15. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 19, 2007

Mrs. Renz (a fourth grade teacher in OR) has many, many incredible book projects. Search her through Google.

I give my fourth grade students a month, but we don't do one in February or March because of state testing. Sometimes we're more traditional; sometimes we do something more exciting and interactive. We do two in class during the year, and the rest are at home. It's the only homework I think I'll assign aside from spelling this next year.

16. michelb366

michelb366 Comrade

Jul 19, 2007

I agree with the post about Mrs. Renz. I use her ideas for book projects and also do a genre per month - just not in the order she does them. If you look back on her previous years, there are additional project ideas as well. My kids told me last year that they like it much more than having to do book reports! I had to stop myself from laughing. If they only knew....

17. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2007

Is assigning 2-3 books to read plus book reports for each book at home too much?

18. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 19, 2007

I teach fifth grade. I give them about 2 weeks to read the book and one additional week to complete the project, so 3 weeks total.

19. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 19, 2007

I think for some kids it could be. How are you planning on managing this? I require one bookreport each month unless we are doing literature circles/novel studies. My parents complain every year about the work load. I think if I did more they would try to have me fired.

20. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2007

I got this idea about doing reading goals each month. For each month, the read a certain number of books from different genres. Some of the books they read are picture books. So, what if I require one chapter book and maybe a picture book? For example, one montly goal is to read a mystery chapter book and a Caldecott pictuer book. Would this be fine then? I honestly don't want to send too much work home. I am not a fast reader, but not a slow reader either. I figured 2-3 books a month would be fine. But, with all of the other homework and book reports, gosh, I guess that is too much!:eek:

21. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2007

22. SnowDaisy822

SnowDaisy822 Companion

Jul 19, 2007

I think giving them a shorter book and a longer book would be better. It all depends on the kid too. You may have to differentiate a little depending on the reader. I know with my class coming in I have kids ranging from high school reading levels all the way down to upper 1st grade. Sooooo........ Look at your students and see how may need a change.

23. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2007

I require one book report for each Accelerated Reader Test turned in. This keeps them somewhat honest about having read the entire book before taking an AR test. How will I know the book report is accurate? I will make sure I read a summary of the book myself and make sure it matches up.

24. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 19, 2007

I actually have the kids do their first book reports with picture books. We do historical fiction with picture books quite often, and when we begin book buddies, I have them choose a picture book they liked when they were younger and they write a report about it.

This has been an easy way for me to teach book reports, since my kids have often not done them before.

25. missdq

missdq Rookie

Jul 19, 2007

i do something similar, for the first book report I let them choose a book they like, could be one they read before but they must read it again. then they turn their fav books into picture books and then read them to the first graders. worked out great.

26. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2007

Who is this fabulous Mrs. Renz and where can I read about her projects?

27. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2007

I posted her link above

28. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 21, 2007

As a 4th grade teacher last year, my students were given their book report guidelines on the 1st of every month. Their report required 4 paragraphs (beginning, middle, end, and recommendation) and a project (they were given 3-4 to choose from). Their reports were due the last school day of the month.

29. missdq

missdq Rookie

Jul 21, 2007

calalilys. was the writing assignment the same each month? and about the projects was each month a diff choice of lets say 3, or did u give the a whole list in sept and they just chose which one they prefered to do for that month?

30. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 22, 2007

The written portion of the book report was the same each month, but the projects differed because each month they were reading a different genre.