Time for me to vent.

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by jpablot, Aug 10, 2013.

1. jpablot

jpablot Rookie

Aug 10, 2013

- School is about to start and I feel like I have no clue what to do to prepare. No one at the school has been helping me or telling me anything I need for the beginning of the school year.
    - New textbook training went completely over my head, and I have no idea how to use a SMART board.
    - I'm beginning to hate the city that I moved to for my job.
    - A couple of people are being complete doody heads to me (one in the school and one outside of the school) and that sure doesn't help right now.
    - Due to the people being doody heads, something I've struggled with for a while (nothing illegal or "bad" in that sense) is beginning to rear it's ugly head again.
    - Had a terrible day yesterday.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2013

Breathe. You were hired because administration believes you can do the job.
    Get your hands on the curriculum guides fr your classes (CCSS is online and there are a lot of resources/lesson ideas on the net as everyone is rethinking/redesigning for the new standards). Then start sketching out your year...get a handle on your lessons for the first month in terms of what units you'll be teaching, materials, activities you'll use.
    Set up your classrrom...arrange student seats, make seating plans, organize your materials and your desk.get your behavior/classroom mgt plan set.
    Go introduce yourself to the secretaries and custodians...they can be your best allies!
    Find the tech person and ask for a quick primer on SmartBard...play around with it a bit. Check out smarttech.com for lesson ideas!
    Get the negative people out of your space...they are dragging you down at a stressful time. Find ways to relax: walk on the beach, go for a run, rent a movies, go laugh with good positive frends...take care of yourself.

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 10, 2013

I'm so sorry the beginning of your year isn't starting out well. Do all you can to keep your spirits up. I know, easier said than done.

This is my last weekend before I start work again. Boo!

5. Ted

Ted Habitué

Aug 10, 2013

Could be more stressful in the unemployment line. :)

Czacza offers good advice...just breathe and know things will be fine. If you have specific questions regarding your grade curriculum or technology, etc, then ask here.

Re: SMART board - have you looked for any YouTube video tutorials, lessons, best practices?

It will all work out... you'll see! :)

6. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Aug 10, 2013

My advice is along the same lines. Try to simplify as much as you can.

For example, the curriculum might be complicated to get the hang of at first, so look for the topic/skill you are supposed to start with and look for lessons to cover it. As you get the swing of things, start looking at the standards closely to pay attention to Bloom's language and specific goals students need to meet. But start with someone's pre-made lesson that you found online and go through the motions. If you are expected to do a specific curriculum lesson, do as best you can with it without worrying about every detail.

In terms of the Smart board, start by using the basic features. Learn how to write words on it and erase them as if it is a touch screen. The cool "smart" features will come later.

As for the other stuff, give yourself the ultimate self care right now...buy a nice foot lotion, get your favorite take out food, etc. etc.

Of course, come here and vent or discuss. There are plenty of willing ears around here. :)

7. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 10, 2013

This is how I planned.
    I sketched what I wanted my students to do before winter break. Then I only focused on the first quarter, because schedules will change anyways.
    I decided that we'll read short stories from the textbook, (ease our way into common core and higher level thinking), then 1 week writing and 1 week movie (literary analysis). And that's it for 2 months (1 quarter)
    I picked the standards, they're not that many, but we can really get into them deep. I did this over 2 days, showed the plans to my P, she said they looked great.

Now I just have to plan the actual lessons, but 2 lessons I already planned before when I taught them, so I just have to revise a bit. And that's it. I also have to revise the Powerpoint + activities for the first day, and that's really it.

During the first 2 months I'll have time to read the 2 short novels we'll do later and plan those lessons.

Keep it simple! and relax. This is my first year as a teacher, but have already 'started' a year twice (LTS or hired as teacher in April last year, but I treated it as the beginning of the year, because it was for me)

8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2013

Here is some advice I tell my student teachers. It's kind of a dose of reality.

You have to go after the information you need. Don't expect others to give you what you need. They are also involved in their own things.

You need curriculum info...go find it on your district site, school site, other teachers classroom sites.

Text book training...contact the company that did the training or the district liaison. Those companies always give contact info. Or, read the teacher guides and teach yourself.

Don't know how to use a smartboard...go online and train yourself until you can take the school or district training.

Choose your friends and acquaintances carefully at your school...don't let the peer pressure of doody heads affect your common sense.

Find something in your town that you enjoy...hey, it's Florida!

When I interview candidates, I look for the go-getters who will find a way to get the information they need without depending on others or blaming others for their misfortunes (I'm not necessarily talking about you!)

Not trying to be harsh...but go put your big girl panties on and get your year off to a wonderful start!

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2013

Don't let yourself get into a cycle of "woe is me". It's really hard to dig yourself out of that.

All of our curriculum information is found on the state and district websites. I don't really use teacher's guides that come with the books, but they are there for a reason. Use them!

I had the first SmartBoard in my building. And I had NO training. Nobody else knew how to use one either. I just started with the basics. It's not like it could break it. The kids and I figured out a lot of stuff together. I've had one for maybe 7-8 years now, and I still find new features from time to time. Often the kids tell me.

Every building has at least one person that should be avoided. I work in a fairly small building, and I can still avoid the people that really suck out my energy.

You'll be fine. I love being 100% prepared, but I've had to learn that the world doesn't end when it doesn't go that way. I found out the first day of school that I had a MATH class to teach. I'm English certified, and I've never taught math in my life. It would have been great to not teach math, but it would have been better had I known about it before summer was over to have prepared. But I don't fret about the things I can't change.

10. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 10, 2013

I agree, take a deep breath. You'll be okay. Lots of good advice being given.

And as far as the textbook training, I be if you start a post about the textbook you're using, someone on here can give you specific advice. When I was new to StoryTown I got tons of great advice on here for good websites to visit for ideas.

11. Listlady

Listlady Companion

Aug 10, 2013

I'm sorry you are feeling this way, and I'm really sorry about the "doody heads"! Ugh!

You can search for SmartBoard training online--there were a lot of videos on youtube last summer. I watched several of them because I had no clue what they were all about. A few weeks into the semester, they had training for it, too, at my school.

The main thing with the smartboard is to not feel like you will break it. Just check out a few videos, and the first chance you have to get it going in your room, turn it on and mess around with it a bit until you feel comfortable. I'd also find a friendly "neighbor" at school and ask them just a few questions. At my school, we all have to monitor the hallways between classes, etc., so it's an easy time to ask a question or two.

I also think it's okay to admit to others that you are nervous. Some people will disagree, but I think MOST teachers understand being nervous when new. If someone doesn't understand, then you don't really want to talk to that person anyway . . . .

12. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 10, 2013

One day at a time. The curriculum can seem like a mountain that you and your students cannot possibly scale. One day at a time.

13. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2013

I will echo "relax" as advice. First, forget the smartboard for the first week. Try to make contact with another teacher at your grade level. Maybe suggest coffee together or something. In my school, we all share what we are teaching. See if you can get some guidance from him/her. While you are waiting to make that happen, plan some things for day 1 - get to know you, craft, routines and procedure. You'll be playing catch up for a while, but I agree that you need to seek out the information you need. Take it easy on yourself. You don't need to be the most creative awesome teacher right from the starting gate. And don't forget to come here with specific questions as they arise.

14. ecteach

ecteach Groupie

Aug 13, 2013

Are you a brand new teacher? Hang in there. It will get better. Don't give up yet! YOU CAN DO IT! Most of us have been where you are, and you'll persevere. Just remember not to treat other new teachers the way you were treated when you get more experience.

15. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2013

Now, it has been a couple days so put your feet up enjoy the music and laugh. You Had A Bad Day