Time for another book thread

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Maryhf, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Dec 18, 2011

I'm pretty sure Santa isn't bringing me the Kindle Fire I asked for but a student gave me a gift card :clap: and I'm ready to spend it on a book.
    Any suggestions? I like all kinds of books. I'm in the middle of the latest Grisham. I loved The Help and the Swedish "girl" series. I also enjoy historical fiction. I'm intrigued by Americans in Paris. Has anyone read it?
    Others on my list are:
    The Greater Journey (McCullough)
    Silver Sparrow
    Vision in White (Roberts)
    Nothing Daunted (Wickenden)
    Rules of Civility (Towles)
    I'm sure they are all good but I'd love some recommendations.I can't buy them all. As a MS teacher, I'm lucky to have received any gift so I'd like to enjoy it!
    Thanks!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 18, 2011

Wait and make sure you don't get the Kindle.

I'm rereading A Christmas Carol :)

4. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Dec 18, 2011

Santa sent me to Europe this summer. He better not spend that much on me this year lol. I'm not going to purchase anything until after Christmas. I have way too much to do to purchase for myself. However, I can think about it!

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 18, 2011

WOW!!! Could you remind him of my address?

6. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 18, 2011

Wow. Santa needs my address too!

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 18, 2011

...and mine!

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 18, 2011

Darn! I see now what I get for being such a Santa hater! :haha:

I love a good, intense book as much as everyone (and oh how I like to cry...that's a sign of a great novel), but if you want a quick and funny read and like her sort of humor, Ellen's newest book had me laughing outloud!

9. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Dec 18, 2011

If you get a chance, log on to Goodreads.com. It's a "social networking" site where people exchange book recommendations. I've found so many great books through it!

I just read the graphic novel of The Walking Dead (the same one that's a tv show now). It's *intense* but good. I'm not a big graphic novel fan, but I enjoyed it.

My favorite series of books this year (and maybe all time) is the Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin. Very Tolkein-esque. He creates an entire universe that is so intriguing. I just love them! You can get a box set of the first four novels in the series (there are 5 total) for about $20 right now!

If you like historical fiction, I would recommend Pillars of the Earth and World Without End by Ken Follett. They are both set in the early middle ages. I also loved the Greatest Knight by Elizabeth Chadwick about William "The Marshall", Earl of Pembrook (he served Henry II, Richard the Lionheart, John and Henry III). He was a fascinating man and was loyal to the crown not the man which made his life very difficult at times! It almost reads like a romance novel without the blatant... um... romance(?) that comes in a lot of those type of novels.

10. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Dec 18, 2011

Lisa Gardner is my favorite author. You don't have to, but it's best to read her novels in order-you will NOT be able to put them down.

11. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Dec 18, 2011

I'm in the middle of "The Help" right now, and I cannot put it down.

12. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Dec 18, 2011

I just finished An Ordinary Man and it was just wonderful!

I second (third? fourth?) The Help. One of my favorite books!

13. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Dec 18, 2011

I read _The Help_ and found it too predictable, though I loved some of the characters.

I just started _Winter Bone_ and am loving the writing style, very poetic.

I'm about a dozen chapters in with _Winter Bone_ ... wow. The writing is gorgeous, but the topic is very, very dark. I saw it described somewhere as Ozark Gothic.

14. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Dec 18, 2011

Elizabeth George (read them in order!) and Kate Atkinson.

15. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Dec 18, 2011

"Game of Thrones" and I've read "The Help" three times. I hope I get the DVD from Santa.

16. BettyRubble

BettyRubble Rookie

Dec 18, 2011

I bought 11/22/63 by Stephen King for a family member and am hoping he passes it on when he's done! It's more of a sci-fi type novel, not a scary one, by him and seems to have gotten good reviews!

I'm currently reading A Year of Living Biblically by AJ Jacobs and enjoying it! He's an agnostic trying to live by the Bible as literally as possible for one year. He's very humorous in his writing (not mocking) so it's been a fun read.

17. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Dec 18, 2011

I'm currently reading the 10th Anniversary book by James Patterson for his Women's Murder Club series.

My favorite author is Nora Roberts but I only have 1 of her books on my Nook so far. I haven't been able to read a "real" book in a while.

18. Dynamite Boys

Dynamite Boys Companion

Dec 18, 2011

I've heard The Book Thief is amazing. That's going to be my next read!

19. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Dec 18, 2011

I'll have to third Game of Thrones series after bandnerd and donzie. Bandnerd suggested the series last summer and she's was right - they were excellent!

Also liked The Book Thief and The Help as well

20. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 19, 2011

The Help is on my Christmas list and it sounds as though I'll have to add Game of Thrones! I loved The Book Thief! Over the break, I need to read a bunch of books for a book club I'll be running at school in February.

21. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Dec 19, 2011

The Book Thief is wonderful! I'll be teaching it next semester.

22. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 19, 2011

I loved Grisham's new book. I am hoping to read a ton of books over the break. I signed up for 100 book challenge last January and I think I'm a few behind so I want to catch up. I have a few books on hold at the library (Like the new Stephanie Plum book and one by Mary Jane Clark) but they are slow to come in. I just picked up one called The Gingerbread Bump-Off. I have to admit I chose it because the title was cute LOL

23. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 19, 2011

I have been meaning to look into Elizabeth George's books since so many people have recommended them. I will try to find the first one over the break.

24. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Dec 19, 2011

I am currently reading Hemingway's "The Garden of Eden".

25. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Dec 19, 2011

For an easy read, any teacher would like "The Reading Promise." Very cute memoir about a girl whose father read to her every single night - until she went to college.

26. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 22, 2011

I just put a few more books on hold at the library. Has anyone read Before I go to Sleep or Lady of the Rivers? They sound really good.

If you are a Stephanie Plum fan, the movie One For the Money will be out in January. I just saw the trailer and it looked pretty funny. I'm not crazy about all the cast members but it does look like it will be an ok movie.

27. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 22, 2011

Oh, I love the Elizabeth George books. I've read them all.

I just finished Wally Lamb's, The Hour I First Believed. It was awesome - and nice and long.

My favorite author is Elizabeth Berg. I've read everything she's written to date.

28. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 22, 2011

If a miracle occurs, maybe next year y'all will be running out to buy my book!

29. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Dec 22, 2011

Did you write a book mm? You know we will ALL be running out to be your book :love: Seriously, are you writing a book? about what???

30. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 22, 2011

I'm writing one. I just started, but the story is just pouring out at an unimaginable speed. It's loosely based on my grandfather's life. The quick summary is that an old, dying man, who's all alone, pours out his life story to one of his caretakers. He wasn't a nice man, and he has many regrets, and he wants to somehow make peace with the fact that he's alienated his entire family before he dies.

This started during a search for who my grandfather's birth parents were. We still don't know that. He lived a rather colorful life, and while he was Not Nice, his life story is fascinating.

31. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Dec 22, 2011

Keep us posted! Those long, cold N. Dakota winters should be a good time for writing!

32. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Dec 22, 2011

Oooh, if it gets published I will definitely be purchasing it. How exciting!!!

33. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Dec 22, 2011

If you like vampire stories and haven't read the Ethical Vampire series, you should. There are three out so far. The first one is The Society of S. They are a good fun, easy read.

34. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 22, 2011

mm--put me top of your list for pre-orders!

35. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Dec 22, 2011

If you like trashy romance faerie type stories, you have to check out Karen M. Moning's Fever series. The hero, Barrons, is the BEST. HERO. EVER. (In that genre). *swoon*

36. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Dec 23, 2011

To the original poster-Vision in White is a wonderful, light hearted book. I have the series. I love reading series where I get to know the characters. I am currently reading the Cedar Cove series by Debbie Macomber.
    To my Help friends-I LOVE that book. I am also asking Santa for the blu-ray.
    I love Game of Thrones on HBO, but not sure if I would like the books. My sister is reading them and she loves them.
    I have to get The Book Thief for my Kindle.
    To any mystery readers out there- Erica Spindler is one of the BEST mystery/suspense writers I have ever read. I can't put her books down. I don't even have a favorite- they are ALL good.

37. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Dec 23, 2011

Me too!!!!!!!!!

38. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 30, 2011

I just read Watch Me Die by Erica Spindler. I could NOT put it down. Thanks for the recommendation!

Right now I am reading Before I go to Sleep by S.J. Watson. It is very good so far. It is about a woman who has amnesia (like the character in 50 First Dates) but very creepy!

39. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 30, 2011

Well, Santa didn't send me to Europe, but I did go! Santa DID get me a NookColor though!

band~I LOVED the Game of Thrones series and wanted to thank you for making the recommendation!!! Now it's wait time to the next one. I have just started getting into historical fiction. My biggest authors I'm reading right now is Phillippa Gregory and Alison Weir. Both are great!!! I've heard of the Greatest Knight so I might have to look further into that one. I've glanced over Pillars of the Earth. If it's as good as you say, then I'll be checking that one out too! Thanks again for the recommendations!

This is a great book!

Lady of the Rivers is a GREAT book. I have read all of Philippa Gregory's books. She was in Austin for a book signing so I have a signed copy from her!!

I want a signed, advanced copy!! :D

40. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Dec 30, 2011

Thanks for the great suggestions. I didn't get a Nook (but I got a Pandora bracelet so Santa did indeed misbehave), but I picked up a few books on discount. I've written down all these ideas though so I'm prepared.

41. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Dec 30, 2011

I just started "The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo."