Time for a new mattress

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Rabbitt, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Sep 27, 2012

firm or soft?
    I always heard the firmer the better for the back.
    Plus firmer lasts longer.
    But when I google it, there is little support for it...actually little support for any mattress type.

We currently have firm but I wake stiff.
    My husband had lower back pain and sleeps part of the night in the Lazy Boy.

Memory foam?
    Sleep number?

3. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Sep 27, 2012

I recently put a serta memory foam pad on mine...wow, what a difference! Cheaper than a new mattress, and my joints aren't hurting.

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 27, 2012

I know they say after 8 yrs to replace, but I had mine for about 14 years. Then when I knew I was moving, that was the perfect chance to get a new bed. I don't like firm mattresses & I don't have any back/neck or sleeping problems. I always liked that brand Beautyrest, but I'd rather spend my hard-earned money on something else. This June that just passed, I got a Lady Americana Bronze mattress. It's definitely nothing fancy, but it feels great. I had never heard of the brand before I got it. They have a website.

Mathis Bros., where I got my furniture, had that brand & it was a good price, so to make things easier & have the delivery be from the same place as my furniture, so it's all in one delivery, I went ahead & got it. In my mind at first, I wanted a Serta.

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 27, 2012

I have a traditional spring mattress, and it's a pillow top. I don't like the pillow top. I wish I'd gone with the regular one. It's comfy, but it's not smooth when I make it. That bugs me.

I've only slept on one memory foam mattress, and it nearly burned me up! I didn't sleep well at all, and every time I'd roll over, the part next to the mattress was wet with sweat. Not good.

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 27, 2012

We have bought three king mattresses in the past few years. It has been expensive, but my husband is very, very picky. I grew up sleeping on the floor a lot, so I have always been easy to please. Same with pillows...I mostly never used one since I could just sleep on my arm, but my husband is insanely particular about those as well.

Here is what we've decided. While my husband thought he wanted a very firm mattress, that was a few weeks of torture...even for me, and I thought I didn't care about our mattress. He hates anything with memory foam. I liked it. We now have an "average" bed with a pillowtop, which was a decent compromise.

7. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 27, 2012

I purchased a pillow top and it is amazingly comfortable. I would check the brand, but my husband is asleep on it right now! It was about the middle of the road expense-wise.
    On the other bed, the mattress is very old and I didn't want to invest in a new one just now. So, for 80.00 I put one of those foam sleep top mattresses on it and it is super!!!

8. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Sep 28, 2012

From reviews I have read, it sounds best to buy a firmer mattress and add a memory foam pad to it. We won't be shopping until the 6th so I am still very open for suggestions.

9. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Sep 28, 2012

We had a pillow top mattress. It lasted about 6 years and then got extremely uncomfortable. We just bough a new mattress. It's awesome. It's a night therapy memory foam mattress from SAMs club. I have absolutely no complaints.

10. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 28, 2012

We have a king and we bought separate twin mattresses because our needs are so different. He loves firm mattresses, I love the memory foam. It works for us.

11. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Sep 29, 2012

We have a firm mattress with pillow top. Works great for us... I used to have a soft mattress and woke up with back pain every morning.

(BF tried a Temperpedic in the past and said it was hot... woke up sweating every night. Darn, I always wanted to try one of those!)

12. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 29, 2012

I have a sleep number and I do like it. I like that I can change it according to how I feel and it was especially great when I was pregnant. The negatives are that if you like to sleep in the middle or cuddle, this is not the bed for you. The firmness is dependent on the weight of the person on it, so any big changes, even a large dog, is going to affect how it feels. My husband doesn't like it because he rolls around a lot, on the other hand he hasn't had any back pain since we've had it, 5 years now.

13. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Sep 29, 2012

I also have a sleep number bed and my husband and I love it. We have an older one that does not have any memory foam. I add a foam topper last year. I can not tell the difference between his side and my side. They are expensive considering what they are made out of but I will definitely get another one.