Time fillers?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by DrivingPigeon, Aug 17, 2008.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 17, 2008

What type of activities does everyone do for time fillers? I'm talking about the times where everything is finished and cleaned up, but you still have five minutes before the children have to be in art class. I'm really bad at just coming up with little games off the top of my head, and I usually just pull out a book to read. It would be nice to have a bunch of fun and educational short activities to choose from in times like this. Thanks!

3. Kindtchr

Kindtchr Comrade

Aug 17, 2008

Songs & fingerplays-
    ABC song
    5 little monkeys
    eensy weensy spider
    nursery rhymes

quick games-
    I'm thinking of a number between __ and __. After a child guesses incorrectly give another clue- higher or lower.
    I spy something that begins with/is the color___/approximate size, etc.
    I'm thinking of a word that rhymes with ____.
    review of skill just completed

Make it fun, in time some students will request a particular song or game.:D

When it's almost dismissal time I ask what they learned in school that day so that when they go home & their families ask they won't say, "nothing".:rolleyes:

4. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Aug 17, 2008

I travel everywhere with books just in case. This is a skill I worked hard to relearn when my son was entering middle school and was sitting on buses and waiting for pick up parents with 5 minutes here and 5 minutes there. Learning the pop books under your arm or to pack them in your back pack was something he had to learn. After seeing the difficulity in that-I just brought it to my younger children.

Travel to art w/ book, that is my advice. All of those other games are things I use too, rhyme time is also great!!

5. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Aug 17, 2008

Kindtcthr i agree with you. Those are great time fillers. Also can use the letter A what begins with the letter A is this room etc.. B and so on...

6. mdith4him

mdith4him Companion

Aug 17, 2008

I have a Word document with several pages of activities. I printed them out, cut them apart and pasted them on index cards. I plan on having them up front with me in case I need them. If you want me to send you the document, PM me your email address and I'll send it to you through an attachment :)

7. love2teachk

love2teachk Companion

Aug 17, 2008

I spy (something that is blue, that rhymes, that starts with, thats a shape)
    Change nursery rhymes (ONLY once they've been taught)
    Around the world (any flash cards you have, two people at a time race to answer quickly. First person right moves on to challenge the next person in the class)

At the beginning of the year I do ice breakers to learn names Jump -sing and clap while one child jumps at a time (___ name, ___ name, jump up and down, jump up and down, ____name ____name jump up and down, now sit right back down)
    Who stole the cookie?
    Pass the ball and say your whole name

Touch body parts
    put a cube in directionals (above head, below foot, etc_

Counting and alphabet game (go in a circle and see how high you can count/say alphabet without messing up) this seems extrememly easy and you wouldn't believe how long it took us to get through the abcs!

Stretches
    Songs
    Count and move (clap 10, stomp 10, etc up to whatever you can count to)

8. little317

little317 Groupie

Aug 17, 2008

I do a lot of what everyone else has mentioned already. A student favorite is Popcorn Words....I spell/sound out a word, they jump up and say the word. It gets them moving too!

9. cycourt

cycourt Rookie

Aug 17, 2008

sing!

I do movement songs

It's fun and fills the time AND requires no materials.

I always try to learn new songs to build my repetoire.

10. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

Aug 17, 2008

I do alot of the things already mentioned. My kids also like to play hangman with our names. I play it on the board. If someone's name has five letters I will put five blank spaces on the board. We go around the room guessing letters to fill in the blanks until all the spaces are filled and the name is complete. It takes awhile for them to catch on, but they soon get very good at it.

11. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Aug 17, 2008

I do many of the things others have listed. Sometimes I pull out my HF flashcards and have the kids get in line after they read/spell a word.
    I also review things that I just learned (usually phonemic awareness) by making up a little jingle or a rhyme...the kids love that.
    We also say the "Chicken Soup with Rice" poems- after a few minutes, they have half of it memorized and take turns trying to remember in front of the whole class. For some reason, they get a kick out of this!

12. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Aug 17, 2008

My students LOVE hang man. I use names, sight words and such!

I also have a beach ball that I use for time fillers. I will throw the ball to each child and have them give me a word or sound of a letter.

I have a few songs too I will do: 5 little ducks, 5 little speckled frogs, 5 monkeys jumping on the bed.

I have a great CD from Greg and Steve that I use when the kids are getting antsy. Gets them moving we do a song and go back to work.

13. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 17, 2008

It's just so weird because kindergarteners seem so old to me. I'm used to working with 3-year-olds and 4K children. Even when I had a long-term subbing job in 4K, the children thought so many of the songs mentioned (ABC song, 5 little speckled frogs, etc.) were "baby songs." Kindergarteners really like these songs?

14. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Aug 18, 2008

My kids love the songs...we always do motions with them, and make them fun...I think that helps! Usually, as long as you are excited about it, the kids will be too!

15. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Aug 18, 2008

work on listening skills with simon says, read funny poetry, brainquest makes K level now i think, have them line up in a way that takes longer such as:
    If your name begins with the "b" sound line up, if ou name has 6 letters in it line up, if you have on green socks line up. My 2nd grade kids love when I have them line up in silly ways.

16. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Aug 18, 2008

2nd graders still love silly songs!!!! Especially one called icky sicky bubble gum.

17. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 18, 2008

That song is my favorite.

18. teacherkps

teacherkps New Member

Feb 10, 2012

time fillers

I would really like to receive a copy of your time filler activities

19. Cole_x

Cole_x Rookie

Feb 15, 2012

I do an ABC game with them too! It get's them thinking and for my class at least, calms them, before moving into the hallway. I also do stretches and simon says. With simon says I some times make a "mistake" and wait for my students to notice. They love this

20. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2012

I make monthly challenge packs of puzzles, math codes, word scrambles...

Also I teach spelling hangman and several math games that can be played on individual whiteboards.

21. Zabeth

Zabeth Rookie

Feb 15, 2012

I think "just a book to read" is a perfect solution. Or "just a song." Or "just a poem." Or "just a fingerplay."

The more you can immerse students in language and literacy, the better, and your small bits of time are perfect opportunities.

Have fun!