Time-filler Arts and Crafts

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by brit2187, Feb 17, 2011.

1. brit2187

brit2187 Rookie

Feb 17, 2011

I need some ideas for fun little art-type projects I can do with my fifth graders that we can use to decorate our classroom with after we finish! We always have extra time on Fridays to do some activities and I was trying to come up with one for tomorrow.

We have done a flower mosaic made with little squares of construction paper, for example. And for Valentine's, we dipped heart-shaped cookie cutters into red, pink, and purple paints, stamped them onto white paper, and colored them. Then we generally hang our projects around the room to add some pop and color!

Any inexpensive, relatively simple ideas? Thanks in advance!

3. BioTeach22

BioTeach22 Rookie

Feb 17, 2011

Could you buy a left over valentine's bouquet (they should be cheap now) and have the kids press flowers, petals, or leaves one Friday then glue them onto card stock to make bookmarks the next Friday?

4. Securis

Securis Cohort

Feb 17, 2011

I do this print project with something called 'camper seal' and water color markers. You can get the seal from a hardware store inexpensive and it goes a long way. The seal comes in a roll with a self adhering side and a smooth side. You can cut the seal into various shapes with scissors and stick it to cardboard or foam core blocks. You marker the non-sticky side then stamp it onto paper. I have children make Christmas cards and other holiday styled cards. We recently did some landscapes using the process.

Good luck.

5. ReallyRachel

ReallyRachel Rookie

Feb 18, 2011

How about using Oil Pastels? They are so bright and colorful. You could do flowers, still lifes or something with geometric shapes. A simple project is just to have students trace several overlapping shapes in black and then color the spaces.

6. Pacificpastime

Pacificpastime Companion

Feb 18, 2011

What about some type of collage (sp?)? You could do ones with animals, sports, classroom activities, etc. I am sure there are old magazines the kids could clip out pictures and phrases.

This may not be what you are looking for but I found a great idea I am trying to do for next year called "Rainbow Reading Corner." It is very simple, but I think could be very cool. The basic idea is to make several long paper chains with all rainbow colors. Then you havng them up so they form a little tunnel, dome, alcove, etc. that is your "reading corner." The writer of the project suggests that you use fish line, because of its transparency and and make the rainbow look like it floating.
    Just thought I would share, have fun with your projects.