Time clocks!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Loveslabs, May 22, 2014.

1. Loveslabs

Loveslabs Companion

May 25, 2014

The whole situation bothers me for a few reasons. We have money to buy a time clock system for salaried positions, but we have been laying off teachers and staff for the last seven years. We have cut bussing and gone to state minimum standards as far as student contact hours. We are eliminating 15 positions at the end of this school year, 7 of which are teachers! But we have money for a time clock system?????

One of the reasons for going to a time clock is because we have a couple a staff members (out of 300) that come in late or leave early. Everyone knows who these people are, but as usual our admin won't speak to those people directly. The admin has a reputation for speaking to everyone instead of confronting the people that are causing the problem.

I think it is silly for me to clock in when I spend way more than my contracted time at school. They are not going to pay us overtime so why bother tracking my hours?

2. a2z

a2z Maven

May 25, 2014

It is no sillier than the things students are made to do or the public is made to do for the actions of a few. The only difference is when it is personal impact.

Making the argument about layoffs and the cost of time clocks doesn't hold weight because the clocks won't even pay for the salary of an aide for a year.

3. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

May 25, 2014

We're supposed to check in in the morning (literally we place a check mark next to our name). It helps our secretary know who's there when someone calls.

I'd be okay with a time clock. It wouldn't change how I do things.

4. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

May 25, 2014

This isn't always true. You have no idea how much they're doing at home or at other times. I routinely only stay for my contracted hours or at least only work that time. I'll stay to socialize but not to work. But I get 43 minutes of prep time per day. I also have a 22 minute study hall I do grading in. At least one day a week I get an additional 37 minutes with an optional study hall. Everything is done on time. The only work I choose to take home is grading. And even then if I don't grade it, it'll get done during the week.

High school is different. I can do some work while my kids are working independently.