Time clocks!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Loveslabs, May 22, 2014.

1. Loveslabs

Loveslabs Companion

May 22, 2014

My system is looking into using a time clock next year. Everyone (teachers, custodial staff, etc.) would need to clock in and out each day. For some reason, this puts me over the edge! Do any other systems use time clocks?

3. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

May 22, 2014

Only for per session and certain staff members (paras, custodial staff, subs, etc.) I have a card I move from IN to OUT and only clock in and out when I'm working after/before school programs. When I was a long term sub I had to clock in and out everyday, it was no big deal.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 22, 2014

I'm not an hourly employee...we sign in and out (no time recorded). It's expected you are on time. If you are running behind, you call. A time clock would actually result in my school losing work time among employees...I would not show up until required (currently show up 20 minutes early each day) and I'd punch out every day at end of contracted time (as opposed to staying 1/2 hour or more several days per week).

5. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

May 22, 2014

We started using one this year. I actually didn't mind it. Sometimes I forget to clock out-especially if we have an event or something where I just stay straight through (in the past you could just sign your time in the next day). But that's the only issue I ran into.

6. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

May 22, 2014

Last year, our AP wanted us to punch in by swiping a time card to record the exact time we "signed in." For a week or two, he also tried to make us use this facial recognition thing after we complained the time punch line was too long in the mornings. Our AP claimed he was doing this because staff members were showing up after their contracted start time and then arguing with the secretaries over having to sign the late book or claiming the time on the office clock did not match the time on the cell phone. He thought the punch in method would solve these problems.

Well, this only lasted a few months before enough people complained to the Union and he was "forced" to take both methods away (his exact words). After, we went back to simply signing in in the morning and we don't have to sign out (per our contract).

7. live

live Companion

May 22, 2014

We had to clock in at my old school. The admin and owners were micromanagers who didn't trust their teachers, which is one reason it bothered me. It was also in a really odd spot in the school, so a majority of the teachers had to go out of their way to clock in.

We'd get written up if we clocked in late. While I was never late to school, there were times I'd forget to clock in until lunch time (especially when they moved my parking further away). Luckily, the secretary was wonderful and would update the time in the system when teachers would forget.

There's no time clock at my current school. It's a much smaller school.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 22, 2014

I sign in and sign out first thing in the morning...as does everyone else in my school.

9. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

May 22, 2014

At my old school teachers had to sign in and out each day. Per the school secretary @@. Frankly it was insulting.

10. Ms_C

Ms_C Comrade

May 22, 2014

We just sign in in the mornings. I don't think anyone bothers to check it though. I have multiple teachers on my hallway that waltz in 15-20 after we are required to be there and nothing has ever been done about it.

11. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 22, 2014

The closest we have it our logging in to our school systems. Since I tend to do so at night and on weekends, my school would lose money if they tried to go hourly.

12. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 22, 2014

I'd never heard of teachers having to sign in/out or clock in/out (until I read this thread, of course).

I do know, however, that subs sign in/out.

13. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 22, 2014

We don't even sign in or out at my school. Having a time clock would make me pretty upset.

14. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

May 22, 2014

We sign in (but not out). We're supposed to be signed in by 7:10. If you're not signed in by 7:15, the school secretary starts calling you (class starts at 7:25).

15. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

May 22, 2014

I worked in a district where we had to scan in our thumbprint each day. Creepy. I don't know if they still do that.

16. waterfall

waterfall Maven

May 22, 2014

We just started that district-wide. They claim it's for "safety" so they know who is supposed to be in the building in case of an emergency. If we go to another school during the day, we're supposed to sign out of our school and then sign into the other one. We were all pretty freaked out when they started it- it seemed very big-brother like. Our principals swear up and down that they don't look at the hours and they don't care about the times. I believe them that they personally don't care (they've always said they're not clock watchers), but I'm not convinced that the original intent of the district with this new system was 100% "safety."

I think the whole "contract hours" thing can kind of go both ways. If the teachers are obsessive about only working the contract hours, then I think the admin has a right to be pretty demanding that teachers are there for those exact hours every day. For example, in my last school the union had made it so there could be no meetings, pd, or basically anything happening after contract hours ended. Staff meetings had to be within the 30 minutes of "contract time" before school or they had to pay us for them. In my current school, we have all sorts of meetings and obligations after "contract hours." So in that case, I don't think it would be right for admin to be making people sign in and reprimanding people for being a few minutes late or not sticking to the exact hours (unless it was cutting into student time of course). It would be kind of ridiculous to throw a fit over someone arriving 5 minutes after contract time and then making them stay for an hour long meeting after school on the same day. I think that's why my current admin says they don't watch the clock- they know we go above and beyond the hours anyway.

17. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

May 23, 2014

I'd be incredibly insulted if my school tried to start something like this, but that's largely because it's a rare day that I'm not an hour early, and that I don't stay an hour late.

18. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 23, 2014

This is my experience as well.

19. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

May 23, 2014

At my current school, we sign in and out, but it's not a big deal and no one really checks it.

At my previous school, the principal didn't trust us to be honest with the times we put on the sign in sheet, so he made a paraprofessional sit in the lounge every morning who we had to report to and she signed us in. It was humiliating and demoralizing. Even the parapro was embarrassed by it. So the next year he installed time clocks with punch cards. I was so happy to leave that place...

20. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

May 23, 2014

I've never had to sign in and out. Our substitute teachers do, but that's it. We are trusted to be there when we are supposed to be.

21. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

May 23, 2014

We clock in and out as well as sign in and out.

It's a pain. And we're all salaried, so I don't understand why. Big Brother's always watching, I guess!

22. teach1

teach1 Companion

May 23, 2014

At my old school we had to sign in and sign out, with times. I didn't mind it at all. I actually liked it because the loooong hours I worked past my contracted time were always documented (at least, in the building hours!)

Many salaried jobs require clocking in......... I'm surprised this is a big deal for people.

23. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

May 23, 2014

We sign literally nothing, ever. I'd welcome some sort of system. Yes, professionals show up to work on time. No, apparently not everyone I work with is a professional.

24. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 23, 2014

At my previous school district, we never had to sign in or out unless we were leaving campus during the school day for whatever reason. At my current job, we do sign in/out, and though most people don't care when you sign in/out, there is one person that is a hawk, even if you're just a few minutes late.

25. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

May 23, 2014

We do have time clocks, actually. We had an interim super. who felt strongly about it, so it was implimented this year. The interim super. is gone, but the time clocks are here to stay, apparently. Many people do seem to find it demeaning, insulting, etc., but I don't really mind. I swipe in when I come in - well before my contracted time, and I swipe out when I leave - well after my contracted time, usually. Truth be told, it bothers me that my paras used to be late frequently or leave a few minutes early. Now they can't do that without it being known.

26. Rox

Rox Cohort

May 23, 2014

I wish we had them. I work at a remote site, which means our principal isn't here to witness who is late, etc. If a para is late, it is the teacher's responsibility to let the office know, then they (the paras) get upset with us for reporting them. An online sign-in would be easy to set up with Google Forms.

27. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

May 23, 2014

We don't have a union in NC. We do not have contracted hours but each district does set a basic schedule for schools. Noting that extra duties like Open House, etc. are to be expected.

If I wasn't trusted to be where I was supposed to be and had to clock in and out, I would probably spend much less time at school. As it is I will only work M-F unless something is really important to ME. I won't grade papers, write recommendation letters, respond to parent emails, etc. during the weekend any longer because our district already tried insulting teachers' time on task this year. Clocking in and out would have me going in as late as possible and leaving as early as possible. And I would not be doing anything at home.

We're either salaried or we're not. You don't get to pick and choose what is most convenient for one side of equation.

28. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

May 23, 2014

I don't know if this is the way it is everywhere, but even though we are on salary if we come in or leave early, those hours are docked as personal leave.

I honestly don't see why it would change when you came in and left-it certainly hasn't done that for anyone I work with. It was just seen as an added procedure, not as an insult in any way.

29. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

May 23, 2014

Really? I would do all of my work at school and collect lots of $$$. If they have a time clock, that would probably mean they would have to pay you for additional hours. When I was in business, the company was dumb enough to make salaried workers punch a time clock. We got lots of overtime pay. That business went under several years later. If it doesn't mean additional pay, then it can't mean taking off pay as well if you leave a few minutes early. Let them try this time clock crazy system. They will regret it.

30. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 23, 2014

We had to clock in at my old school. A few teachers were chronically late- as in the kids arrived and were in classrooms and there wasn't a teacher. After the secretary and admin had to scramble a few times, they required us all to clock in. It was more to make sure we were here. We didn't have to clock out.

31. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

May 23, 2014

I'm surprised so many people are against having to sign in. I don't really see the value in signing out, but I can't imagine having to keep track of whether all of the teachers were in their classrooms without some system to check it! We have over 120 teachers and arrangements have to be made if there's no one in a classroom where 30 teenagers are waiting to enter.

32. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

May 23, 2014

I had a friend who was suing an employer and the court wanted to seen sign in/out sheets to prove work days. So signing in and out in some cases is a protection. We have to sign in and out. There must be a reason. I've always thought it was for proof of attendance.

33. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

May 24, 2014

We have a sign in sheet. I never remember to sign it.

If I'm not there, they will know by the fact that there are either kids standing outside my door at 8:10 or a substitute teacher has shown up in my place. Also, I log into our automated attendance system every day to take roll, so that in itself should constitute "clocking in."

I don't see why a teacher would need to clock or sign in. Any teacher who shows up late without calling in, and causes another teacher to have to take their kids needs to either have a very good reason or be disciplined.

Do teachers actually do that?

I've been late once in 20 years. It's normally a 45 minute bike ride from my house to my classroom. I give myself at least an hour in case I flat or there's a headwind. If I drive, I give myself at least half an hour. Well, one day I was planning to drive, and my car wouldn't start. I called the secretary, got my bike and rode in.

Now, a school might make teachers sign in in order to enforce "contract hours." - i.e. 30 minutes before and after school. Even that is stupid. I do not know of any teacher who can, on a regular basis, show up at the arrival bell and leave at the dismissal bell, and be able to do their job correctly. Sure, some teachers I know show up at 6 AM and leave with their kids when the bell rings. Other's pick up their kids as on their way in from their car, but stay until 5:30 each day. I'm generally at school from 7:30 to 5:00. But there are days I show up at 7:55 and days I leave at 3:00.

34. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

May 24, 2014

I have had a sign in clock at both schools I have worked. I was salaried both times and my hours really didn't matter much. At my current school I can't remember the last time I clocked out. Many don't clock in because the clock is in the main office and it can be inconvenient.

Where I used to work sometime in the fall of each year the principal would go crazy about people not being to work on time. My last year there we all got our hours listed on a sheet for a few weeks and attached was a note talking about this going in our file to show our professionalism. It came with a speech about how this would never work in the business world. I figured out from the sheet how many "overtime" hours I had worked in those few weeks and it was well over 40. I didn't turn in that math but others in my building did. The tone from the principal was then that it wasn't meant as a threat but to make us "aware."

I will say that I don't like having a time clock but I can't imagine changing my hours because of it. I am going to work however long I need to work to provide the students in my class with a great education.

35. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

May 24, 2014

We are suppose to sign in when we go to our morning meeting, it's 4 times a week.

As others have said, it's a record of who is attending the meetings.

36. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

May 24, 2014

This made me laugh, only because Thursday afternoon, my son started texting me to find out how long you had to wait for a teacher.

They had been sitting in the room for almost an hour, unsupervised at this point. I finally figured out, via the texts that they didn't have a teacher. I asked my son why he, or someone didn't go to the office, his response was, I like the people & we were just talking.

I called the school and they had just found out that the sub who was suppose to be covering didn't know that they were to be working a full day, he/she left for the last hour of the day.

I told my son it would have been really impressive if instead of looking at the sub plans, they would have actually done whatever the plans called for. :angel:

37. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

May 24, 2014

Wow- that would never happen at my school (or if so, there would be major consequences). And I'm impressed students waited! At my school, there would have been chaos. Maybe the high crime/gang/drug rate is why my school is so huge on making sure there is never an empty classroom. Leaving students unsupervised for any amount of time would be insta-write up.

38. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

May 24, 2014

Last year, my "teacher student" apparently took my sub plans and led the class for math and science because she got so frustrated with my sub not actually doing anything. She was probably one of the best subs I've ever had!

39. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

May 24, 2014

This was my initial thought too.

But Could it I also work the other way where admin and school boards see the actual time their teachers put in? But so many, like myself, work from home too.

40. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

May 24, 2014

Apparently, some of them did leave, wandered around the building, went to other classes. I think that's how the office found out that the sub didn't show.

41. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

May 25, 2014

A sub didn't show for me about two years ago. The school didn't find out until 45 minutes into the day. I always write the day's plans on the board and assign independent work on sub days so it was easy for my students to get done what needed to be done. The teacher next door needed to borrow something and discovered I was missing. If he hadn't that first period would have gone completely unsupervised.