Time Capsules without Pringles Cans??

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by LinzerCastle, Jul 16, 2009.

1. LinzerCastle

LinzerCastle Rookie

Jul 16, 2009

Hi, all! I am a fourth grade teacher and am wanting each of my students to make thier own time capsules at the beginning of the year. I was hoping to be able to have Pringles cans for them to decorate and use, but I don't think I'm going to be to get my hands on 28 of them.

Does anyone have any ideas for an alternative to Pringles cans?? I was hoping to have the materials ready for the kids, so they wouldn't have to bring any container in from home.

If you've done time capsules before or have any ideas I would love to hear them! Thanks so much!

3. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 16, 2009

I'm not sure what you plan to put inside them, but I used large manilla envelopes for mine. The kids sealed the top and signed over the seal. It worked for me.

4. glitterfish

glitterfish Comrade

Jul 16, 2009

This sounds really fun! I'm thinking that, if you plan to bury them, any kind of plastic container would work. For example, I happen to collect those large Nancy's yogurt containers. I wonder if you could ask at a restaurant to see if they have any kind of containers they could donate--something they buy in bulk that they recycle.

Would you mind sharing what you plan on having the kids put inside the containers? Do you have any forms that you're using?

This sounds like a lot of fun!

5. LinzerCastle

LinzerCastle Rookie

Jul 16, 2009

The manilla envelopes are a great idea. I'm not planning on burying them, but just collecting them from students and then handing them back on the last day of school. Thanks for the idea!

I am planning on having my students fill out a personal inventory of some kind with their different "favorites". I will include a picture that I took on the first day and am also planning on having students write a letter to their "future selves" (thought I could review friendly letter format with this). I would also like them to come up with their Fourth Grade Goals to include. I'm thinking about asking them to bring in something small from home that represents them to include in the capsule.

If anyone else has any other ideas for what to include or for what to use as the capsule, I would love to hear them!

6. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Jul 16, 2009

One year I used the big envelopes. Another year, I asked a local Chinese restaurant to donate carry-out boxes. They were pretty cute!

7. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 16, 2009

I just used gallon ziplock bags. They didn't take up any room to store and they can fit whatever you need.

I let my kids measure themselves with a piece of string, cut it to their height (with a friend's help) and put it in the bag. They also trace their hand and cut it out.

8. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Jul 16, 2009

I am using paper towel rolls.(having friends save) I am taking a picture, doing the yarn/height, have a writing sample. I like the hand outline idea!! We will wrap them in tissue-tuck in the ends. Not sure what else may fit!!

9. kidsr#1

kidsr#1 Companion

Jul 17, 2009

What clever ideas to use in place of the Pringles cans! :) I will have 18 students at the beginning of the year and have told my daughters to eat as many pringles as they can and save me the can! I also asked the teenage boy across the street.

I was too excited about finding the time capsule idea on the threads to think of an easier container!

10. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 17, 2009

I appreciate this topic; I've always wanted to do this.