time capsule

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by treysmom, Sep 14, 2003.

1. treysmom

treysmom Comrade

Sep 14, 2003

My school is beginning construction on a new K-5 school. I will be assembling a time capsule with my kindergarten class this year to be opened when they are in fifth grade. I would appreciate ANY ideas on this, since I have not attempted this activity before. Thank you!

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 14, 2003

Include:

class picture and/or individual pix
    current newspaper
    survey of class interests - movies, songs, places to visit
    the kids' handprints
    writing samples and drawings
    dictate or write their dreams for the future
    a favorite class book

4. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Sep 14, 2003

We did this as seventh graders to be opened as graduating Srs. We had a medium sized envelope we could fill. We had to include a letter to ourselves. We could put pictures, news, our friends, and other info. important to just us. Oh my gosh it was so much fun to open... I put who my fav. group New Kids on the Block and others it was so much fun to see what had changed.

I would have them draw a picture of themselves, maybe family. Good Luck I know they'll enjoy whatever you do!!!

5. austeach

austeach Companion

Sep 14, 2003

Depending on when the capsule is going to be opened, this suggestion may not be of use. We did this a few years ago and my grade 4 students were going to be out of school by the time the capsule was opened. We wrote what we thought we would be doing at the time that the capsule was opened. Working? Married? Have a family? It will be interesting to see how many students return at the opening and to find out exactly what they are currently doing.