Tileboard as Dry Erase Boards

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by 773 Miles Away, Oct 12, 2008.

1. 773 Miles Away

773 Miles Away Comrade

Oct 12, 2008

I went to Home Depot this afternoon to check out the tileboards I keep hearing so much about. They seem to be pretty good quality and I can imagine them working quite well. Has anybody purchased these for your room??

If so how did they work? Do they wipe off well?

How did you mount them to your wall? I'm going to use mine to cover my horrible chalk board.

3. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Oct 12, 2008

I noticed in one of Jem's posts that she showed pics of her room and she had something very similar to cover her board. It looked great.

4. MNTeacher

MNTeacher Rookie

Oct 12, 2008

I brought some a few years ago. I had them cut into individual dry erase boards to use for various activities. The kids love using them! I don't think they erase as well as a white board does (esp. with dark dry erase board markers). If you use some of the white board spray on it, it works much better!

5. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Oct 12, 2008

I have one leaning against my chalk board, and have used it for 6 or so years. I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

6. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Oct 12, 2008

I had some cut into individual dry erase boards for my kids to use and we are on my 6th year with them. Most are still in good shape. I have only had to discard a few. The previous classroom I had used showerboard attached to the chalkboard on 1/2 of it and it still did ok too. The teacher before me had it put up and was in the room 3 or 4 years.

7. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Oct 12, 2008

Oh to clean them we used baby wipes daily and go over them once a week with Magic Erasers.

8. teach_each1

teach_each1 Comrade

Oct 12, 2008

you need to prime them-grab a tub of turtle wax while you're at Home depot-wipe on/wipe off (I had my kids do this part). They clean up w/o much hassle after that.

9. teach_each1

teach_each1 Comrade

Oct 12, 2008

as far as daily cleaning, I had each of my kids bring in a "lost" sock (you know, one that has "lost" it's pair)-they keep their markers in the sock and I don't have to worry about them using my kleenex/wipes

10. repete8

repete8 Companion

Oct 13, 2008

I bought some board at Lowe's. It was back with the shower board; however, it specifically said "for use with dry erase markers". It seems to work great!!!

11. 773 Miles Away

773 Miles Away Comrade

Oct 27, 2008

So I purchased the tile board and it works wonderfully. I clean it regularly with windex and then at the end of the week with "Expo Cleaner" - which surprisingly works MUCH better than windex. (and I thought it was just an expensive version of windex!). So it always looks brand new. It's still "young" but so far I am very impressed.

As for MOUNTING... heavy duty double stick adhesive? Screwing it through the chalk board?? what have you done?

12. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Oct 29, 2008

I have one on the wonderful big book stand my husband built me. It is great. He attached it with screws. I clean it with alcohol.

13. pxydst07

pxydst07 Comrade

Oct 29, 2008

Out of curiosity, how much does that cost? How do you cover the chalkboard with it? I hate chalkboards!

14. 773 Miles Away

773 Miles Away Comrade

Oct 29, 2008

At home depot where I live it was about $13 for a 4 ft by 8 ft board (called Thrifty White Tileboard). Home Depot also cut it in half for me at no cost (they'll cut it any way you want as far as I know). Right now I have the boards leaning up against my chalk board... but I'm going to try screwing them in... or something.

15. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Oct 29, 2008

I just lean mine up against the board. The overhead screen comes down just a bit over it, keeping it in place. If the kids screw with the overhead screen and make it go allll the way up, the board falls down on them. That's happened three times-you would think they would learn. I had to get one that has almost a grid on it with grooves-they didn't have any that was completely smooth. I thought it would be kind of strange, which it is, honestly, but it is GREAT for drawing straight lines and writing straight. Although a smooth one would be really nice.....

I didn't prime it with anything. Some colors come off better than others-black being the best to see and the best to wipe off.