Tight Knit System - How To Get In?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Want2Educate, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Want2Educate

Want2Educate Rookie

Oct 7, 2010

I graduated a year and a half ago and moved back home to be closer to family. I subbed for a year there to become better skilled as a teacher and also to become better acquainted with the school system and those that would be potential employers. I had many teachers that consistently requested me and was always told that I had done an excellent job.

Over the summer I moved to a smaller city several hours away and figured subbing would be the way to go once again to get my foot in the door. I applied for the county I live in and a very close neighbor county. I was hired on with the county I live in and, as soon as I was put on the subbing list, I contacted the schools to see if I could come introduce myself or put business cards with my contact info and qualifications in the teachers mailboxes. All but two schools told me that they had my information and that was all they needed. One school let me drop off the business cards and another school let me meet with the principal who explained to me that sometimes people didn't get called because they "didn't fit". While I can see that a little I don't understand how she would know until I subbed.

:help: Here it is a month later and I haven't received even one call to sub. :help:

I'm not sure how to get me foot in the door and I'm not the only one. Another girl I graduated with is in the same boat and working retail hoping for a teaching job each year and not getting one because she can't seem to get any experience.

I'm really not sure how to break into this system and am now going to spend a year in retail because I can't find any other education based jobs around here. Does anyone have any suggestions??

3. teach'ntx

teach'ntx Comrade

Oct 8, 2010

I do not know if this is going to work, but have you thought of trying to volunteer at one or two of the schools? Even if it is only one or two hours a week, it will help you get to know some of the people in the school or school you volunteer with.
    Also you may want to check the district to see if they have tutoring vounteer programs. This might get you a chance to work with school and district employees.

4. Momma C

Momma C Comrade

Oct 8, 2010

You may have to branch out--We have openings in MS. If I'm not mistaken, we even help with moving expenses, etc. Just a thought. If Interested go to the Mississippi Department of Education website. You'll have to Google, because I don't know address. They keep position openings posted.

5. stepka

stepka Comrade

Oct 9, 2010

This isn't really a help, but I think a lot of the subbing jobs have dried up b/c of the economy--people who've lost their jobs are turning to it for a temp job and have gotten there ahead of you. In other words, I doubt this is personal.

6. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Oct 9, 2010

Yesterday was the first day I saw substitutes in my building. It takes a while for teachers to feel comfortable taking a day off. I would expect it to get busier between now and Christmas.

7. Kate Change

Kate Change Companion

Oct 12, 2010

There are also a lot of tutoring companies that are affiliated with the schools. I think there is federal money being designated for tutoring title 1 students. I know craigslist has postings for my area. It won't be enough to live on, but at least it's related experience and could get you introduced to some teachers.