Tie Dying

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by ksmomy, Jul 12, 2006.

1. ksmomy

ksmomy Companion

Jul 12, 2006

My school is doing a school-wide tie dyeing day and I was just wondering if some of you had some ideas that would make it easier. I teach the older three year old class.

3. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2006

Oh, I love, love, love tie-dying with kids. Check out this website (it's actually a catalog's site, but it also has helpful hints). www.dharmatrading.com

One hint - get the shirts wet (you should really soak them with soda ash first) then have the kids tie them up with rubber bands. Put each kids' shirt in a large ziplock with his/her name on it. Then, call them over one at a time and let them SQUIRT the dye onto the shirt (wearing small latex gloves and using a squeeze bottle). We set our shirts in our stainless steel sink, let the kids squirt them liberally, then they go back in the ziplock to cure overnight. You can also lay them on the grass outside and squirt the dye on there. It doesn't kill the grass. The key things are: 1. do this one on one with adult help, and 2. Use squeeze bottles to squirt instead of dip. It allows more control.

Kim

4. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Jul 16, 2006

We tie-dyed t-shirts before we went to the circus this year. I teach special ed. to 3-5 year olds. I went to Hobby Lobby (a craft store where I live). Not sure if you all have Hobby Lobby where you live, but I bet you can find this anywhere. Anyway, they sell tie-dye in small bottles that you just have to push the nozzle and it squirts out the tie-dye. You let it dry, and then put it in your dryer for 30 mins, and it's done. It's really easy. The only downside was that the students couldn't push the nozzle. It was too hard for them. I just had my students show me where they wanted to spray it. They didn't have any issues of wanting to do it, we just explained that I had to do it, because it was too hard.

5. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jul 16, 2006

Tye Dying made easy

This is what we do-- the kids are able to do it by themselves--even the younger 3s! Put the dye into spray bottles,each coolor in a different bottle. set the spray for a slight stream and take them outside and let them use the different spray bottles to spray their shirts or whatever item they are dying. With this method youdon'thave to tie it with elastics or anything or worry about it getting on their hands etc.

6. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Jul 16, 2006

This is how I did it last year:

take a clothespin and clip it in the center of the shirt. Twist the clothespin clockwise, the shirt will twist as well. After it's twisted into a ball, take some rubberbands and secure it. Then, just get the squeeze bottles and go to town. I put finished ones inside of buckets and let them sit overnight.

7. ksmomy

ksmomy Companion

Jul 18, 2006

Thanks so much for all of your advice. We did the tie dyeing this morning and it went very well. We soaked them in the soda ash first and then used the squirt bottles for the colors. We are letting them sit overnight and then we will wash and dry them before sending them home tomorrow. Thank You!

8. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Jul 18, 2006