Tickets Friday Chaos

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by jaszmyn, Aug 28, 2011.

1. jaszmyn

jaszmyn Comrade

Aug 28, 2011

Hello All,

My school year is getting off to a great start! I teach 5th grade and have a token economy with tickets for behavior and homework turned in etc..... But I need some HELP!! On Friday when they turn in their tickets and I put the money in their "bank accounts". It is CHAOS while I call students up one at a time. So this week I just went around to each students desk and counted tickets and let them pick from the treasure box.

I have tried various activies for the other studnets to be doing while I am doing this, like a video, classwork, crossword puzzles. Its usually on Friday before dismissal, so I don't want to take up too much time with this weekly economy thing. Any suggestions? What are the other kids doing while you allow students to pull from the treasure box etc....??? Thanks so much! please reply

3. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Aug 28, 2011

I have never done the token economy, so this idea is not from personal experience: Maybe do a Friday lunch bunch in the classroom and let the kids come up and pick during lunch? The rest can be eating and talking, or eating and watching a video.

4. jaszmyn

jaszmyn Comrade

Aug 28, 2011

Thanks for the suggestion smurfette. Our lunch schedule in the building is very tight. and plus its not the end of the day on Firday, so they dont get the opportunity to earn more tickets throughout the rest of the day on Friday, if I do it at lunch. Hmmmmm ...I will keep thinking. I tried the video, but students were talking during the video. The Friday excitment i guess.

5. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 28, 2011

I don't do the whole treasure box thing either, so forgive me if this idea is totally not possible.

What if you had a table/group redeem their tokens each morning. Monday is group 1, Tuesday is group 2, Wednesday is group 3, and so on. It would only be a few kids each day during morning work time (or dismissal or something).

6. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 28, 2011

Make the kids keep their own in a check register kind of way, have random pairings to check each other's math on counting the current money and the addition/subtraction for it. Then, I would have them initial the line so you could spot check if needed. Rotate the job of cashier between the students so they can take payment for treasure box stuff and have them writew the amount owed and initial the line.

7. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Aug 28, 2011

If you took smurfette's suggestion, the week would be from Friday afternoon through the following Friday lunch. It could work.

When I want my students to be quiet, I have them read silently. No one can talk and read at the same time! Plus I'm squeezing more reading time into them.

8. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Aug 28, 2011

I do a treasure chest with my second graders. I just call them up by table and I let them know that quiet tables will get to come up to the treasure chest... They usually help each other stay fairly quiet because they don't want to lose their chance at coming up to the treasure chest! lol

9. jaszmyn

jaszmyn Comrade

Aug 28, 2011

Thanks for the suggestions. i will try ANYTHING at this point, so i will be trying ALL of your suggestions and I will let you know which one works best for me. Thanks again. any more suggestions?

10. traveler

traveler Comrade

Aug 28, 2011

I agree with Lynn. I would have them read quietly. If they don't sit quietly tell them anyone who is talking will lose their tickets. Hold them to it. Once you take tickets from one student, they will know you are serious. Prizes could go straight to backpacks so they are not distracted by them.

11. bondo

bondo Cohort

Aug 30, 2011

Lynn K. - love that idea!

12. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Sep 3, 2011

I did this last year and I had the same problem. Kids who earned 15 tickets got a prize at the end of the week and it was mass chaos trying to give out all of the prizes on friday afternoon.

What I did was have kids keep their tickets (with their name on them) in a class jar. I would count them each morning and then on Friday I knew who already earned theirs and I could give out the prizes throughout the day to 1-3 kids at a time. They knew they had to put the prize away (unless it was a pencil or eraser) or it would get taken away for 1 week. I had to keep track of who was getting tickets on Friday to ensure the kids that earned their prize throughout the day also got it (I had a whole notebook devoted to this) but it made it SO much easier than giving out 25 prizes on a Friday afternoon.