Ticket system or clip chart?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Bella2010, Jun 21, 2014.

1. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Jun 21, 2014

I've been thinking about which one to go with. I used the ticket system last year - giving each student x number of tickets and taking one whenever xyz happens and giving tickets for rewards when they do xyz. Then, I had a rewards chart they could cash in their tickets for. However, I saw this on several sites: http://secondgradestyle.blogspot.com/2012/04/long-live-clip-chart.html This would be for third graders.

Thanks!
    Beth

**I'm not looking to start a debate on rewards or no rewards. I'm just seeking opinions on what other people have used. :)

3. SleekTeach

SleekTeach Comrade

Jun 21, 2014

My entire school does the clip chart. Every teacher has those colors painted on meter stick and puts the clips on them. When I take my class to lunch, their clip chart stick goes with them, and it goes to music, p.e. and art as well. I hate it because when I get my kids back and the clips have been moved, I never know why they were even moved. Anyway, when it's in one classroom, it only works if the teacher actually follows though with the consequences. The kids have to know that if they land on "red" then their parents are getting called. I work at a school where the students are homeless, or their parents phones are constantly being disconnected, so it doesn't work very well to me.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 21, 2014

I don't like clip charts. I had to use one for the second half of the year and it reminded why I hate them. The kids would make a big deal out of who is on what color (which is why I despise public systems) and they would say things like, "Billy is bad. He is on blue every day." For all of my parent pick-up kids, the first question was 'what color were you on today?' Not 'what did you learn today?' or 'did you have a good day?'. I'd get calls and emails asking why they were on a certain color. Uggh. Hate it.

5. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jun 21, 2014

I've done both. I prefer the clip chart. I always found both time consuming and at some points in the year I wouldn't follow through because it became ineffective. This year I subbed in a school without rewards school wide. I found that their system actually worked even though I was a little sad kids never got prizes or stickers.

In my next classroom I don't really plan on doing rewards unless it's a school wide thing that the principal wants.

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 21, 2014

I would like to add- I used a classroom economy in 2nd with tremendous success. It is my first choice.
    When I did an LTS, I used Class Dojo. I've used it other years as well, but not all classes 'clicked' with it. My LTS group did.

7. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Jun 21, 2014

I would honestly rather not do a reward system, but kind of feel like I have to because I see them in other classrooms. :confused:

Can you explain to me how you did the economy system? I've thought about that as well.

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 21, 2014

They were paid for doing their jobs, doing their homework, being at school, and if I felt they did something worthy of getting paid as a 'bonus'.
    They had to pay monthly rent, water, and electric bills.
    They could buy simple prizes any time- a pencil, computer time, special chair, etc... At the end of each quarter, we had a store.

Beth Newingham does things a bit different but spells it out on her website if you google her.

9. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Jun 21, 2014

Thanks! I'll check that out.

10. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jun 22, 2014

I have never liked rewards that are shown publicly like a clip chart.

I teach 5th grade and none of the 5th grade teachers on my team (myself included) do an individual rewards system. The school has Golden Tickets that are given to students for going above and beyond and on Fridays there's a drawing. Students put their tickets in a big bowl and if your ticket is pulled you get a prize. That's the only reward I have for my students. I may do a class reward thing next year though, like marbles in a jar and when it's full the class gets a reward.

11. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jun 22, 2014

Funny...I just came across this article today, and thought of this post:

http://pernillesripp.com/2014/06/21/so-whats-my-problem-with-public-behavior-charts/

It pretty much sums up how I feel about behavior charts. Plus, they are so much work for teachers. I would be just horrible at using a clip chart. The toughest part would be recognizing when kids are doing what they should be doing. I had a really good class this past year, and if I used a clip chart I probably would have been horrible at telling them to move up.

12. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jun 22, 2014

I am super tired of the clip chart. It's mandatory at my current school. I want to go to a classroom economy system next year. I'm still looking into it.

13. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 22, 2014

I dread getting asked about behavior management during interviews. I'm nervous about throwing clip charts under the bus (where they belong) because you never know who on the panel uses them.
    My whole school uses them, but this was a directive from their old principal. I found the new P hates them, too, and I've been begged to do something different to open up other people's eyes. I will do an economy if I return in the fall. I wanted to switch to Class Dojo with my K class, but when I sent home the note about switching, parents were upset. Between phone calls and emails, we heard from over half the parents in my class. My P decided it would be best if I finished the year out with the stupid clip chart.

14. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jun 22, 2014

Why on earth were the parents so up in arms about it? That's bizarre to me.

I started using Class Dojo a couple months ago (I am still in school), but I am really not sold on it, even though the kids like it. My new school uses it. I am really hoping I can learn to like it more. I just feel like I spend far too much time on behavior management dealing with adding and subtracting points all day long. It is far more time consuming to me than the clip chart, and I'm constantly having kids ask me how many points they have. Maybe there is a better way to use it? I sure hope so...

15. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 22, 2014

The WHOLE school does a clip chart. And it is a super small, rural community. They don't adjust well. Parents or staff. To walk into my school is like to go back 20 years in education- not kidding. Everyone is set in their ways, very whole group instruction, etc... As I mentioned in a previous post, the only thing kids and parents cared about was what color they were on.
    :dizzy:

My P is behind me 100% for next year. Since I won't be taking over mid year, we think it will go over much better.

16. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jun 22, 2014

How frustrating!

Are you using Class Dojo next year?

17. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 22, 2014

Economy. I may add some Class Dojo if necessary.

18. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 23, 2014

This must've been very frustrating!!! :down:

19. LovetoteachPREK

LovetoteachPREK Companion

Jun 23, 2014

Loved your link - exactly how I feel.

20. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 23, 2014

Yup.

And I get terrified, too. The P told me two years ago when I was rejected the first time that I remind her of herself. I think she is looking at me to help move them into the 21st century.

21. Rebecca1122

Rebecca1122 Comrade

Jun 23, 2014

I have never taught with a clip chart and never will. I have a lot of reasons and don't need to go into them, but essentially it goes against my whole philosophy about young children and classroom culture.

For anyone who is not interested in using a clip chart or more traditional reward/punishment systems and is looking for something different, I highly, highly recommend Conscious Discipline. This is what I use and my school I am at now also uses. It is empowering for both teachers and students. It is a huge shift in thinking, even for someone who has never used a clip chart but I can promise that it works and creates a community of learners who can solve problems and regulate their own choices. Love, love, love conscious discipline. I may also be on a little bit of a conscious discipline high after attending a workshop last week :thumb: I am happy to answer any questions should anyone want to explore further.

https://consciousdiscipline.com

22. Rebecca1122

Rebecca1122 Comrade

Jun 23, 2014

I also wanted to add don't be afraid to do what you think is best for your kids, even if no one else is doing the same thing! I started in a new school this year and was the only one not using a clip chart. Now all teachers in K-3 are done with the clip chart and we are diving in deeper to conscious discipline together :cool:

You do whatever works best for you and your kiddos!

23. rabyoga

rabyoga Rookie

Jun 24, 2014

I use a clip system. The system I use allows students to move up or down though out the day. If a student moves down, I always try to give that student an opportunity to move up. That way all students have the opportunity to move up. This worked real well for my students last year .

24. NewTeacherNJ

NewTeacherNJ Rookie

Jun 24, 2014

I used a mixture of the clipchart and class tickets. They would get a hole punched in a card when they did well and got no hole punch when they didnt. If they were on a certain color multiple times in a week there would be other consequences. Whole class i did something more simple like marble jars or puff jars.

I wanted something simple. I find other management systems like Dojo and Economy a tad overly time consuming. I never had an issue with the kids talking about it or the parents. In general - at least with older students - whether they are on a color or not they know which kids get into more trouble than others public or not.

25. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 24, 2014

What if you do a clip chart where it's based completely on what they do right or if they do something outstanding? That's what I did one year that I taught kinder. They all started on green and could move up to purple if I caught them being good or whatever. I liked this method SOOOOOO much better! :) Their reward was a smelly handstamp at the end of the day and tons of praise to the parents.

26. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Jun 24, 2014

Thank you all so much for the insight. :) I think I'm going to do a ticket system again kind of like I did last year. Start out the week with x number of tickets, lose one if XYZ happens, or get one back if something good happens. Last year, they could cash their tickets in for rewards. That kind of got to be a PITA. So, I think this year I'll just put tickets in a drawing on Friday. I might draw for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place prizes or something. I think it might be kind of frustrating for 3rd graders to see only one kid win week after week.

27. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 29, 2014

Never say never. My school required everyone to use a clip system last year. It doesn't matter what I thought about it. My boss told me to use it. I used it.

28. Rebecca1122

Rebecca1122 Comrade

Jun 29, 2014

In my school right now, this situation would never happen because we (the teachers & admin) are 100% committed to Conscious Discipline.

However, if I were to change schools or principals and this situation occurred I would be setting up a meeting with the P. The approach I use to manage my classroom now is research and evidence based. I would have to have a very honest conversation with them because having a clip chart is just something I am not going to get on board with.

And if that conversation didn't change things and I wasn't supported by my boss, it would hang in my room but those clips probably wouldn't move...ever. And I would be job hunting because I feel that strongly about trying to cram every child's behavior into one neat little box/system. That school would not be a good fit for me.

ETA: Last year was my first year at this school. When I got there, everyone K-3 was using a clip chart. It was a 'requirement'. I went to my boss, explained my reasons for not wanting one and she said ok whatever works for you and your kids. You never know until you ask.