Thyroid

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by becky, Aug 7, 2008.

1. becky

becky Enthusiast

Aug 7, 2008

I just got diagnosed with underactive thyroid. Anybody else have thyroid issues?

3. AlliBob

AlliBob Rookie

Aug 7, 2008

I'm in the hypothyroidism club.
    I'm here if you have any questions or need advice. There is a really good book called Living Well with Hypothyroidism by Mary Shomon. I highly recommend it. I have to go see an endocrinologist every 6 months and get blood work and sometimes I get an ultrasound on my neck. I have goiters on my thyroid from an underactive thyroid. I also take a pill everyday to keep my thyroid levels in balance. I have a really hard time losing weight and have to be extra careful with my diet and make sure I exercise. Good luck!

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 7, 2008

My mother does. She takes synthroid and has her blood checked frequently. It is very important to take the meds as directed at about the same time each day. Thyroid problems affect your entire system, so take care of yourself.

5. repete8

repete8 Companion

Aug 7, 2008

I have a goiter on my neck which is caused by the thyroid. I am taking Armour thyroid.

6. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 7, 2008

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism this summer. Have been taking generic synthroid. I feel 100% better! My energy level is WAY up and 10 of my 15 extra pounds basically fell off. I hope this maintains! :)

7. becky

becky Enthusiast

Aug 7, 2008

I also take generic synthroid. I just started today. I already feel less airheaded and feel like I can concentrate somewhat better. My attitude is also less hateful. I'm usually very irritated at the world. Now, I'd like to buy the world a Coke.. and keep it company..:hugs:

8. becky

becky Enthusiast

Aug 7, 2008

Oh, I'll follow those directions to the letter! They are scary as you read all the possible bad things that could happen.

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 7, 2008

You'll probably do very well. Good thing you caught it.

10. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Aug 7, 2008

I'm in the hypothyroidism club too. I had severe untreated hypothyroidism for years. I never thought that I had a hypo thyroid because I am very skinny. I went to the doctor because I was always freezing (hands and feet would turn bluish), was losing lots of hair when I brushed my hair, and had low energy. The doctor ran a thyroid test and my tsh was over 200. This was years ago. I took name brand synthroid and was only able to get my tsh down to 120, and then finally 66. When I decided that I wanted to start a family I was referred to an endocrinologist. I was told that you can't get pregnant until the tsh is under 3. Well, good news! My lab results 2 weeks ago were 2.47! I am taking 100 mcg of Synthroid. How many mcg are you taking. When my doctor upped my medication I started getting really bad headaches but luckily those went away a few weeks ago. Oh, and I haven't been hungry at all until dinner time. Luckily I haven't lost any weight because I am only 105 pounds so I can't afford to lose any weight.
    My most recent challenge...since my medication was increased I have bad insomnia. I don't know what to do because I am afraid that if I reduce my meds my tsh will go up. And that can't happen because I am trying to conceive.

I hope that the medication works for you. It sounds like it already is. Here is a good website to chat with others about hypothyroidism.
    http://thyroidhost.proboards30.com/index.cgi?board=Talk

Good luck!

11. becky

becky Enthusiast

Aug 8, 2008

I am on 25 mcg of generic synthroid. I just started this week, though.
    My symptoms were tiredness, irritability, irregular periods that I blamed on a d&c in '06, and many more. The gyn sent me for blood tests when I told her I thought I was beginning menopause. She told me thyroid will mimic menopause symptoms.

I do hope it helps my weight, but won't hang all my hope there! It's about more than that, but it would be a nice bonus.

12. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 8, 2008

Becky...I'm in the club as well. I was diagnosed after college because that "college weight" was still rising!!! After thyroid now I'm thinner than I was in High School!!!

I found what worked best for me is to get one of those weekly pill boxes & I keep it on my bathroom counter. I take it as soon as I get up because mine says to wait 30 mins before eating. I figure by the time I get everything around in the morning it's been about that long. This way I also can see if I forgot it for the day. I usually fill it up on Sundays & live the flip tops open.

Hope you see some more improvements!!!

13. becky

becky Enthusiast

Aug 8, 2008

I am afraid I'll miss a dose! I usually do that when I have antibiotics to take twice a day, like a stooge. I already see a small change in my appetite, and tonight I just dove in and washed a sinkful of dishes instead of thinking 'they'll be there tomorrow.' That's my usual thought if there's dishes as soon as I walk in the door from somewhere with Jeannie.

14. AZSpedtchr

AZSpedtchr Rookie

Aug 8, 2008

I take mine in the eve just before I go to bed. The Dr has not said that there's anything wrong w/that and my levels have been good. It's easier for me to do it this way so that I can take my vitamins w/iron in the morning.

15. becky

becky Enthusiast

Aug 9, 2008

I take my vitamin, calcium, cranberry and grapeseed at night, plus I drink my fiber then, too. I don't know how I got started like that, but I've had no problems.

16. AZSpedtchr

AZSpedtchr Rookie

Aug 9, 2008

Good :) Yeah, at first I didn't know that you aren't supposed to take the synthroid (or generic) anywhere near iron supplements.

17. MissSkippyjonJones

MissSkippyjonJones Comrade

Apr 8, 2010

I'm a little nervous. I have a goiter, but my levels were all right in the middle of the average range when my Dr. did blood work this week. He is sending me to the endocrinologist now to see if it is anything serious. :(

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 8, 2010

OK, please don't think I'm stalking you!

I had half my thyroid removed because my goiter was so big. (Funny?? but with the mastectomy and all the reconstruction I never noticed it until the oncologist pointed it out.)

It was an easy surgery (except for the nightmare I had that night) I was home the next day, and missed a total of a week of school. I have a scar on my neck, but it's gradually fading into oblivion. It's about an inch and a half long, and it's vertical, so unless you look carefully it can look like a shadow or a fold in my neck. I'm on absolutely no medication.

So, big picture: It got me out of a week of freshman orientation in September. But it hasn't impacted my life in any other way.

19. MissSkippyjonJones

MissSkippyjonJones Comrade

Apr 8, 2010

Thank you Alice! It's nice to hear from someone who has gone through this already. I will fill you in once I go see the Dr.