Thrift Store Books

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Grammy Teacher, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 28, 2011

I am so excited about the childrens books I find at a local thrift store. Today I picked up 8 and several are hard cover books, all for 4.00. They are amazing: Snow Bear (an Arctic story about an Eskimo girl and a bear,) The Seal Oil Lamp (an Eskimo folktale,) Raven's Light, (myth of cultures of the Northwest,) Lion Dancer, (Chinese boy living in New York dances in a parade to celebrate the Chinese New Year,)
    Toad Is the Uncle of Heaven, (a Vietnamese FolkTale,) Dream Feather, (Native American Story,) and a fabulous book called, "Numblers," by Suse MacDonald and Bill Oaks (very artsy!.)And yes, it's numblers!

3. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jun 28, 2011

Wow!!!! Great find!

4. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 28, 2011

At work we are involved in the Youngstar program and they are huge into multicultural books and diversity. I have found so many good books to fit right into those categories. The lady who came to inspect commented on all of my fabulous books in my classroom. I didn't tell her where they all came from!

5. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jun 29, 2011

Around here, they are discovering bed bugs in between the pages of books from the thrift stores and in the libraries. It makes me very sad, but we are in the #2 city in the country for bed bug infestations. Scary huh?

I have to be very very careful.

6. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jun 29, 2011

Oh that's too bad tracy! I bought TONS of books for my classroom library over the years in thrift shops.

7. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 29, 2011

ick bed bugs? I'll be checking over the books!!!

8. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jun 29, 2011

Lucky find! All the books from thrift shops here seem to have silverfish. Shudder and then squash.

9. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jun 29, 2011

That's awesome! And it reminds me that I haven't been to my Goodwill for a while and I should check them out for possible books for my new 5th grade classroom.

10. montanadreaming

montanadreaming Rookie

Jun 29, 2011

I just got books for my classroom from a yard sale and te local goodwill. I never would have thought to look at them for bed bugs. Does anyone know if you can treat the books for them?

11. inhisgrip20

inhisgrip20 Comrade

Jul 4, 2011

Awesome! I love thrifting for children's books. I have 2 shelves full of books in my classroom and they were ALL purchased at thrift stores... all in nearly new condition. :)

12. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 4, 2011

Those sound like excellent books.

I'm finding our thrift stores are starting to charge too much for used books - can be up to $7.00 per book!!! I like our local library sales - fill up a bag, any bag, for $5.00. I can cram a lot of hardcover books into a cloth grocery bag!

13. BettyRubble

BettyRubble Rookie

Jul 4, 2011

Wow, great find!

14. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 4, 2011

Sometimes I find them at either 10 or 25 cents at a local Salvation Army. Goodwill charges too much these days. I collected thousands of 3rd and 5th grade books over the years. Now I just look for books for my little tutoring student. Since starting with him, we've read If You Give a Mouse a Cookie and If You Give a Pig a Pancake, Over In the Meadow, Peter's Chair, The Flea's Sneeze and a few more.

I have enough books on hand for the next 3 months or more (including Miss Spider, The Important Book and Mike Mulligan). I've also got workbooks for enrichment and practice. I love searching for books and only take the ones in perfect condition.

15. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Jul 4, 2011

WE have the coolest thrift store around here. Located in a tiny town in the country, It was an old country store 50 years ago.
    They take stuff in all week and sell just on Sat (now friday also)
    All my reading material this summer has come from there.
    Lots of other cool stuff there. Fla has a unique way of allowing folks to take advantage of that wish school money. The lottery gives us about 150 dollars a year to spend as we wish. My county anyway. Helps me a lot with odds and ends for PE

16. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jul 4, 2011

Just went to two thrift stores and got 32 books for $19. They ranged from $.25-1.00. I was SO impressed with the selection. All Scholastic and Caldecott winners, some brand new! Must hit these stores more often...

17. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jul 4, 2011

I am so jealous reading your finds of books! I wish we didn't have so many darn bedbugs here. :(

18. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 4, 2011

Wow, that's a good deal!

I'm so cheap when it comes to books...I have a difficult time pay more than $1 for a softcover, because Scholastic has so many new $1 books. I agree that Goodwill is way too expensive. I really like Savers. They have a buy 3 get 1 free deal, and their prices are pretty good. I usually walk out of there with a bag full of books for about $10-$15.

19. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 4, 2011

My hubby got lucky one day and bought me 13 (13!!!) Dr. Seuss books in mint condition at a used book store for $20. Our Goodwill & Salvation Army have very few books, and most of those are in poor condition, but I keep looking! Unfortunately, the used book store closed :(

20. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Jul 4, 2011

Isn't that exciting?

I've equipped my entire classroom library by going to thrift stores. A few months ago I purchased 70 books for $23. (They were normally 99c but the store gave them to me for 34c.)

No more full price for me!

21. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Jul 5, 2011

Our library has a book sale each spring and fall. It opens at 8:45 and by 8:15, there are people lined up outside the door. The die-hards like me take their own boxes. Magazines are $.10, paperbacks are $.25, and hardbacks are $.50. Videos, cassettes, and books on tape are $.50. This spring, I spent $27 and left with four large boxes of books and stuff. I also buy dictionaries for my classroom at the Goodwill, etc. One student told me I was the only teacher with real dictionaries in my room which I think is really sad.

22. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 5, 2011

Those are kinds of prices. This week I'm using The Important Book by Margaret Wise Brown. I don't think the book was every opened and I got it for 10 cents.

23. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jul 5, 2011

I've always done well buying great books at thrift stores and the local library's yearly book sale.
    Congrats!

24. Teachings4Me

Teachings4Me Companion

Jul 6, 2011

Gotta love the thrift stores and garage sales! Have y'all tried Freecycle? Google it and you can look in your area...it's through Yahoo Groups so you have to set up an account but it's so worth it. I had two different people donate books to me because I posted an ad that I was a teacher and they just had them laying around. I got pretty much the whole set of Junie B. Jones from one person and a laundry basket full from another. Best find ever!