Three Years to Get Certified And then Fired

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Kay75, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Kay75

Kay75 Rookie

Jun 24, 2010

I've had a lot of interviews lately where the P tells me the position was/is held by a person who didn't complete their coursework and has til August to do so. A few of them have called me and told me I am on their short list if the current teachers don't complete their requirements. I didn't realize how common this was for people to be at risk for not completing their courses. One of the jobs is a dream job. I hate to wish for someone to lose their job. I wonder what the chances are of someone not completing their requirements. My goodness, why didn't they get on it in this kind of economy. Anyone heard of this sort of thing from hr/p's in their job hunt or known anyone who has been let go for not completing their required courses?

3. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jun 24, 2010

We have had teachers in our district let go for this reason. Some people are just lazy or some think that it can't happen to me, but believe me, it does.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 24, 2010

I've never heard of a teacher being fired for this reason, but I can see where it could happen.

5. Groovy

Groovy Companion

Jun 28, 2010

I can't speak to why someone would deliberately fail to complete their courses, but if failure to do so cancels their certification (eg: Alternate Certification wherein they have the content knowledge but have 3 years to complete education classes), then the school has no choice. You can't renew these credentials more than twice. At the end of the third year, you either qualify for the "regular" credential, or you don't.

Best to you.

Groovy

6. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 28, 2010

This has happened TWICE in my district in the past 15 years. One teacher had her license for over 20 years and just didn't renew. It took about two years for the district to recognize her license was expired. They let her go that day :eek: Then another teacher was hired on an emgerency permit and all she had to do was finish two classes in two years. Again, they let her go that day :eek:

7. Kay75

Kay75 Rookie

Jun 28, 2010

Oh ok. Thanks for your stories. It sounded like there were SEVERAL people with this issue in my city. I was kind of surprised that there were so many when in an economy where there are so many budget cuts. I wonder if they will be able to complete their stuff by August.

8. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 28, 2010

I know a guy at a different school that this happened to. He just kept saying oh, they'll give me an extension. Which they did, until he was extension-ed out. He now works at the hardware store.

9. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jun 28, 2010

This happens all the time around me because there are so many people on temporary certificates. My co-teacher was let go this year for this. He needed to have 4 classes before May of this year and he did not have it done so he was replaced. In this economy, you need to do whatever you need to do to keep your job.

10. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jun 29, 2010

chem, you are right and if you don't, it is not the district's fault.