Three Years and Biting Aggresively

Discussion in 'Behavior Management Archives' started by angncfl, Mar 1, 2006.

1. angncfl

angncfl Rookie

Mar 1, 2006

We've had this child in our center for 6 months. She goes through stages when she'll bite frequently, several times in one week...and then won't do it again for a month. Her speech is delayed, in my opinion pretty seriously. She only answers in one word answers and does not tal independently. Usually, the biting is not provoked, she will simply walk up to another child and bite their arm, leaving a full mouth imprint. The speech therapist did not think it was serious enough for intense therapy, so insurance wouldn't cover it. The parents are now seeking help with the county for evaluations and attending some voluntary parenting/speech classes. They have been more then cooperative with us. In the mean time, I have several students who have been bitten by this child. In the past 2 weeks she has bitten at least 10 times. Her parents are called for immediate pick up when she bites. If she bites one time during the day, she will continue to bite the rest of the day. We have her patterns tracked fairly well. I would have dismissed her from our program months ago, if her parents were not seeking help. I'm to the point now that I am going to have to do something, whether that be short term for a month or long term dismissal.
    What would you do? Dismiss or continue to have other students bitten?
    Thanks for your thoughts!

3. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Mar 2, 2006

This child is 3? Yikes! If her speech is that delayed then she is probably trying to communicate, but is frustrated that she can't, so she is choosing to bite when she's upset.

However, for the safety of the other students I would be letting the child go. I only say this because I am thinking on the side of the other parents and the other children. If my child was getting bitten by the same child all the time then I would be thinking about taking my child out of there. As a teacher/director I would not want to loose a bunch of great children over one child who was causing frequent incidents and was a safety issue to the others. Think of what the other parents are feeling. They are probably very tired of having their children come home with bite marks all the time. I would be. Why take the chance of having many leave over the behavior of one?

4. angncfl

angncfl Rookie

Mar 2, 2006

Exactly...my daughter, and the a teacher's child have been bitten by her several times. She did it again today before 8:15 and was sent home immediately. It's extremely frustrating. She is trying to communicate, but also letting her boundaries be known. We've had three new children in her class in the past 10 days. She's been biting them....sort of marking her territory, I guess. Beside the biting, she is a very good girl. If her parents were not cooperative and weren't seeking help, then it would be easier for me to drop her. Since they're being so involved in the process, I hate for it to come to dismissal. Ugh...