Three year olds - All about me

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by annetxa, Sep 8, 2010.

1. annetxa

annetxa Rookie

Sep 8, 2010

I am trying to get an "All About Me" project done for an open house in October with three year olds, but it just doesn't seem to be going anywhere. Everytime I try to get them to draw something, they are just not ready to focus due to age. Are there any ideas out there that I can incorporate in my book to make it look good other than hand prints?

3. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Sep 8, 2010

What about asking them their favorite color & for them to draw things that are that color?!?! A favorite toy?
    What about having a couple mirrors they have to look in & draw their face? There's that pig I Like Me I think is the title that is a cute book you could read first.

4. SamIAm

SamIAm Companion

Sep 8, 2010

Many 3 year olds aren't drawing too well yet so you may be asking a bit much trying to get them to draw representational images. Maybe if you sit with them and talk them trough what they're doing it would work better. As for a project for open house.. Here are some ideas:

1. For your book - Interview the kids. Ask them their hair, eye and skin color, their favorite book, food, animal, toy etc. Maybe have them color a picture using their favorite color. Or have them paste cut out images of their favorite foods to the paper. You can make these into individual books or a class book.

2. Trace around their bodies on butcher paper and have them fill in the details. These will look great on the walls of the room.

3. Do their silhouettes (this could go into the book too)

4. Make a class comparison chart with all the kids sex, hair color, eye color, skin color etc. on it. I saw a teacher do this once and it was really cute. She actually drew eyes and hair and a color swatch for the skin next to the actual word.

5. I don't know if you're doing a family book, but making a book about all the kids families could be really cute. You could either get pictures from the parents or have the kids draw their family (although this may be difficult for some like you said). You could ask them their parents and siblings names, how old they are, what their parent's jobs are etc. This could turn out really funny since the kids won't know all of the answers. Mom may be 2 and her job may be vacuuming.

That's all I've got for now. If I think of anything else I'll come back.

5. Miller59

Miller59 Companion

Sep 9, 2010

Send home an outline of boy or girl and send them home to be decorated. Let it be a family project.

6. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Sep 9, 2010

I've done this with both 3's and 4's... they LOVE their turn and we kept it up all year with the title "same and different."

We did a HUGE chart with all the kids' names down the side, and across the top was things like boy, girl, cat, dog, bird, fish, other pet, green eyes, blue eyes, brown eyes, blond hair, brown hair, black hair, red hair, brother, sister (etc... I can't remember if we had any morecategories than that but that gets you started)

We picked one kid at a time, and asked them each question. If the answer was yes, a sticker went in that box. We did 2-3 kids at a time, and would maybe do it a couple times a day as long as the kids were interested. It took us about a week to get through everyone... but they loved looking at it, and it helped them to see there are some ways we're all the same and some ways we're all different, and that's OK.

I did all about me books with my 3's... most of tem had been in a pretty academic program since at least 2's, so many of them knew some letters and numbers. Our pages were:
    I know my name! (they dictate or write, depending... I had older 3's who could already do that),
    I know some letters! (glue on or sticker letters they knew)
    I know some numbers (same)
    This is a picture of me (you could use a photo if you want)
    This is my favorite color (they color/draw with just that color)
    I am (height) and (weight)
    This is my handprint!

7. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Sep 9, 2010

You could do shoe rubbings (the bottoms of their shoes are really patterned) or foot prints with paint. Then you could get a statement from them what they like to do with their feet...run, jump, climb...

8. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Sep 9, 2010

All About Me...
    Make a Memory BooK with 7 pages or less. Ask the parents to bring in some baby photos and recent photos, with some family ones too. Confirm with them that you can cut them or whatever you need to do with them b4 you do it, OR there will be some misunderstanding, in which you can't win.:D
    You can make a page with the following;
    This is ME! (Let them draw pictures of themselves.)
    On the following page title it...
    These are my favorite things. (You ask them for the answers, then you write them in.)
    Animal...
    Book...
    Color...
    Day...
    Food...
    Fruit...
    Home Activity...
    Junk Food...
    Letter...
    Movie...
    Number...
    Pastime...
    Restaurant...
    Shape...
    Song...
    Store...
    Zoo Animal...

Last thingy is When I grow up, I want to be_________________________________________________.

On one page you can have him/her draw and then let them dictate to you what the drawing is. Write down exactly WHAT THEY TELL YOU. You'd get some original drawings that would be so cute to the parents and grandparents.
    The books would be a keepsake for the parents! Make sure you date their work(s). On another page write My name is_______________. Print their names below the line, then ask them to print/write their names above the line. Leave it exactly as they write them. These kind of stuff is priceless!:D
    Good luck,
    Rebel1

9. K3 teacher

K3 teacher Companion

Sep 10, 2010

I love the chart idea! I think I will try that next week!

For our class book I send home a paper that says ________'s favorite things. The kids and parents glue photos, environmental print or computer graphics on their page. Mine were due today and we read them during circle time. The kids were so excited. I sent it to be laminated and then will place it in the class library. It will be well used!

10. annetxa

annetxa Rookie

Sep 10, 2010

Wow, all great ideas....Thank you so much! I think that I will do the chart thing next week too. I have all boys in my class this year, so it has been really hard keeping things calm enough to do activities.

I am try to do an All about Me book with favorite color, animal, etc., but their focus wanes quickly. Maybe when I do the chart I can incorporate clip art of animals, eye colors, etc. to make it more interesting to them.

Thanks again for the help.

11. gluestickny

gluestickny Rookie

Sep 24, 2010

I do a huge All About Me unit in October. I make this a family project. I send home a letter to the parents asking them to look through pictures of magazines, books, etc, with their child to let them identify things they are interested in...eg. favorite food, animal, game, movie, etc. and have them send in the pictures to school. Pictures of the family are welcome too. During centers, I work with the children one on one and ask them to explain each picture they brought it. They decorate an outline of a person with the pictures they brought it. I make the outline look as if it's holding a piece of paper that has the child's name, age, birthday, favorite food, etc. written on it. Once everyone has completed it, we present them to the class. We then hang them up in the hallway. The parents, other teachers, and student always love it and are always stopping in the hallway to look at them! The only this is, it is very time consuming.