Three hour teacher interview?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by deftonesmo, Mar 24, 2015.

1. deftonesmo

deftonesmo New Member

Mar 24, 2015

Hi all,
    Have you ever heard of a three hour interview? I've only been on 45 minutes to one hour interviews. No mention of a demo lesson. Maybe meeting a couple of different principals?

3. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Mar 24, 2015

I had one. We met with a panel to answer questions. Then we had to do team problem solving. Then we had to do writing prompts. It was very intense.

4. cupcakequeen

cupcakequeen Comrade

Mar 24, 2015

I had one that was maybe 2.5 hours. It was screening interview for all EC applicants in a particular district. I met with the EC director for an initial, very general interview. That one was maybe an hour. I was mostly asked teaching philosophy and strategy type questions. Then I met with two EC teachers who asked more specific questions about different types of training I had, behavior management, etc. That took another hour and a half. It was all pretty laid back, though, so it didn't seem too long or nerve racking.

5. olivecoffee

olivecoffee Companion

Mar 24, 2015

I had one that was 2 hours. It was just me and the principal, and it was very laid back. She asked questions, but then I asked questions at the end. We talked about routines and things I would change. She showed me the classroom since there weren't any students at the time. We both were surprised that it had been 2 hours because it didn't feel that long.

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Mar 24, 2015

The longest interview I had was about 2 hours. I interviewed with the P and AP. Then I took a tour of the school and observed in the classroom and lunch room. Then answered more questions later. The time did go by quickly so I didn't even realize I'd been there that long.

7. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Mar 25, 2015

I was signed up for an interview where I would teach a 45 minute demo lesson, meet with the interview team to get feedback about the lesson, have 25 minutes to prepare/make changes, and then teach the same 45 minute lesson to a different group of students (presumably so they can see what you do with the feedback). I ended up getting two job offers the week before I was supposed to do all of this, so I didn't have to go to this interview- I was very relieved!

8. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Mar 28, 2015

I was recently offered a 5.5 hour interview. It was a group interview that included a welcome, a demo lesson, a written interview, an oral interview, and a Q&A session. I declined to attend.

9. olivecoffee

olivecoffee Companion

Mar 28, 2015

Yikes. I'd decline, too. 5.5 hours? That's insane.

10. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Mar 28, 2015

My longest interview was out of state. It was 8 hours (a full day) for a consultant position. I've had many 5+hour interviews, but more for education management than teaching positions.

11. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Mar 28, 2015

I personally think this is awesome. More opportunities to show what you know and can do.

12. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Mar 28, 2015

Yeah, I guess that's a fair point. For the right school, I'd go through with it, but this school wasn't the right school.

13. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Mar 28, 2015

Sometimes, you just know it isn't a right fit for you. I think following your instincts is a good thing!

14. MacGuffin

MacGuffin Companion

Mar 31, 2015

I once had one at a progressive charter school in SoCal, that was an all-day affair! It was close to 6 hours if I remember. I have tried to forget it, I think there were about 75 candidates there and about 8 school staff members, but it involved big group activities, small group discussions, discussing questions you answered on paper one-on-one with the staff. I think some people started to drift away about half way through, it was almost like some kind of reality game show. Never again.