Threats at the end of the school year.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Backroads, May 23, 2017.

1. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

May 23, 2017

Today I received a threat of "Kill the Teacher". I have a strong theory of who it was based on handwriting and other behavioral issues, though there was no name. I approached the principal with the paper and my suspicians.

This kid is a 2nd grader.

But... the last day is tomorrow, and if it the kid, he supposedly is switching schools. Is there any point to discipline?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 23, 2017

I would want that kind of thing attached to the kid's record.

4. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

May 23, 2017

Yes. If nothing else, it should get noted like Caesar said so it moves along and the next school is aware of it. Also, I'd follow up with the child with some form of discussion, along with an e-mail/call/meeting with parents. We help them grow as humans both academically and with their life skills until the very last moment of the year. (and then even after that, as much as we can :))

Backroads likes this.
  5. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 23, 2017

I agree with the above said. If this kid was coming to my school, I'd appreciate knowing of something like this.

Backroads likes this.
  6. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

May 23, 2017

It's always worth investigating and documenting. I had a similar situation a few years ago - a threat made on the 3rd last day of school. We treated it like any other threat and investigated.

7. WordLover

WordLover Rookie

May 30, 2017

I recently had a student (repeating 9th gr.) who has ODD; she also displays classic histrionic qualities.She has a strong and dark energy. As teachers, it's difficult to deal with the fact that parents may never get their child the counseling needed. My SPED co-teacher overheard her saying three times in succession, in class, "I'm going to kill Mrs. _." (Similar threats to another teacher, as well.) My co-teacher wrote her up and she received ISS. (BTW, I don't believe ISS is generally constructive or that it rehabilitates.) I eventually offered her a way to use her voice in the classroom and I elicited demonstration of her knowledge during the class. Subsequently, we developed a civil relationship and - funny - she was the only student who gave me a small Christmas gift.