Threatened By a Parent!!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by girlie111, Feb 24, 2009.

1. girlie111

girlie111 Rookie

Feb 24, 2009

A parent said that she wants to punch me!! As a teacher, what rights do I have to protect myself? So far, administration has said "Dont worry about it" and have done nothing so far.

3. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Feb 24, 2009

I assume you could contact the police and ask for a restraining order. We have some parents who are not allowed on campus due to their irrational behavior.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 24, 2009

First, I would document day, time, where, and the admin's reaction. If it happens again, contact the police.

5. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Feb 24, 2009

I agree. Another thing to do is write what happened in an e-mail and send it to a supervisor so their response is documented as 1) proof that they know the event happened and 2) that they did not take measures to protect you.

6. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Feb 24, 2009

:yeahthat:

7. AnonyMS

AnonyMS SpEd Para! BASE room aide! RTI Facilitator!

Feb 24, 2009

Document, document, document. Yes, make a paper trail of the where you asked for help / advice.

8. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Feb 24, 2009

I would document what was said (day/time/place) document speaking to your admin. and that nothing was done.

Being that nothing was done, go to the next level above your building administration....if that means the super...then so be it.

Do you have a union? If so, speak to your union rep!

Good luck!

9. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Feb 24, 2009

Why did she want to punch you?:D Sorry to hear about such a parent. I had one at a Pre-School I worked at, who went and told my Director that I was PREJUDICE! The Director cracked up and asked, "Does she know that you are married to a Black guy?" I told my Director, "I guess not! Yeah! I married a Black man just to torture the whole race!" Obviously, she didn't know, because she wouldn't have mentioned that to the Director. She had a bad attitude with me all the time. I just ignored her, and did my own thing.:) I guess that really set her off. She came back one day to pick a fight with me about some of her child's clothes and I was not in the mood for an attitude. I shoved her child's stuff; with poop on it, right in her hands and she got poop on her hands. I didn't get in any trouble for it because my Director packed me up. She just messed with the wrong teacher! Anyway, some parents are just frustrated sometimes and they expect us to jump, when they say jump, and meanwhile asking, "How high?"
    Nah! Not on my watch!:D
    Watch your back and do what the other posters suggested,
    Rebel1

10. sharart

sharart Rookie

Feb 24, 2009

Remind them law suits go "both" ways...I'll see you in court...charge them!

11. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 25, 2009

Make sure you are never alone with this parent. Have the office buzz you if she is on her way down, and then lock your door.

12. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Feb 25, 2009

Document it and talk to your union rep if you have one!!! Scary that admin. doesn't do anything!!

13. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Feb 25, 2009

Definitely contact your union rep, and have the office be on the lookout. And the P really needs to take this seriously. I like the above advice--Lawsuits go both ways, and Document everything!

14. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2009

oh my gosh; I would definitely call the police and have a written report too!

A person who wants to punch me???? Is she out of her mind??!!! Get a report done! And now!

15. lovetoshop

lovetoshop Rookie

Feb 25, 2009

That's awful. I had a grandma come in and go off because someone did something to her grand-daughter and I didn't do anything about it. She also said "You better do something about it because you don't want her momma comin up here, she's crazy." How about because I didn't know. I can't do anything when when I'm not there and I have a sub. Sorry. I explained to her that I was not there and that she (the grand daughter) should have told the sub and me when I returned. I think most of the time they just want to blow off steam and don't want to believe that their angels really aren't angels ALL the time.

16. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Feb 25, 2009

Besides documenting this in your own personal files, contact your union/professional organization and local police so there is a paper trail.

17. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Feb 26, 2009

Many years ago, a parent at a near-by school actual ly did punch a Kindergarten teacher in her face. She wasn't hurt badly (ha!), the parent was charged, but received probation because he had no previous problems. The parent was banned from setting foot on any school campus and the child moved to another school. My school, and I got the child. I also asked admin. what to do if this guy came on campus (we had an open campus at the time) and their response was call the office. Great. So I asked our big, burly PE teacher if he would come over if I needed help--he said no, but offered me a baseball bat to keep in my classroom! Luckily, the guy stayed away and I had no problems at all with the child or family. The craziest thing is that the Dad was in college studying to be a teacher! I would just be sure to document everything and never be in the position to be alone with that parent.

18. becky

becky Enthusiast

Feb 26, 2009

When I read these wild stories of things parents to or say to you guys, I look back on my interactions with Kevin's worst teachers, especially the one that accused me of child abuse. I can't even begin to imagine threatening to put my hands on the wench. Even the principal that did it two more times, I can't picture myself harming the b*tch. When I see her in public, I ignore her. She has the gall to say hi, if you can believe it.

19. firstgurl85

firstgurl85 Companion

Feb 27, 2009

And if you ever have to meet with this parent i'm pretty sure you can request an "advocate" type thing to be w/ you- just someone else there to witnesss what the parent says/does

20. MrsOrion

MrsOrion Rookie

Mar 2, 2009

Documenting this is the best thing. Admins aren't HR departments so dont listen to them.

21. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 2, 2009

I agree with those who responded that you should document and contact your union rep. I am also curious to know why this irate parent would say such a thing. It never ceases to amaze me how crazy some people are.