Thoughts on YRE (Year-Round Education)

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Doug_HSTeach_07, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Oct 27, 2010

Two days before Thanksgiving, the Indianapolis School Board will make a decision sure to heat up discussion around the turkey in just about every home with young children. That's when board members will vote on whether to adopt year-round classes.

If the board approves the measure, Indianapolis pupils would go to school in cycles of eight to 10 weeks, with three to five weeks off after each, throughout the year. And they would join the growing number of children around the nation who are going to school on so-called balanced schedules.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39748458/ns/us_news-life/

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 27, 2010

I love the idea for elementary. I wish that my school would consider year round, but we have not jumped on board yet. Not sure how it will work at a high school with sending students off to college and semesters and all.

4. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Oct 27, 2010

I would think that having a schedule like that would play havoc with parents having to obtain daycare for the weeks the schools are closed, the athletic schedules, older students getting what used to be "summer" jobs (and pretty much any job in general...who wants to employ someone for five weeks at a time??), parents being able to send their kids to camp, local recreational programs, staffing of recreational facilities by high school students (like lifeguards at the beach), etc.

Also, if this plan includes the teachers having meetings or being "on call" during these breaks in the class schedules, is Indianapolis prepared to pony up the $10-20,000 salary per teacher difference from a 40-week to 52-week length of service?

5. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

Oct 27, 2010

I've not researched it, or anything, but I LOVE the idea of year-round school. I'm probably in the minority with my fellow teachers, though! I just think short, frequent breaks are what everyone needs to recharge and there's not all that re-teaching at the beginning of each school year. I also think it would be wonderful to take vacations during off-peak times!

6. SunnyGal

SunnyGal Companion

Oct 27, 2010

I agree completely! As a student, I always thought the idea sounded horrible, but I have started to think it sounds better and better.

7. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Oct 27, 2010

I love the idea too. I think the school year would be much more bearable with nice relaxing breaks in between.

8. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Oct 27, 2010

I was on year round my first year of teaching and loved it. Teachers were not required to work but could teach a week or two week long intersession for extra money. I hate having all summer off so this was perfect for me.

9. Alegre

Alegre Rookie

Oct 27, 2010

I was in a year-round school district for many years. Oh, how I wish I could be back on a year round schedule!! I absolutely HATE having to work the entire year without a break. I've spent much of this new school year trying to get students back into 'school mode' after having had a long summer.

I loved being able to travel at better rates during the off season. As a matter of fact, some friends and I were recalling the Autumn trips we had taken around this time...

I remember being entirely closed about it, but I quickly changed my mind and wish I could be back on a year round schedule for so, so many reasons.

10. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Oct 28, 2010

We have this conversation pop up at our school a lot. We have a very high free and reduced lunch rate, so I think it's perfect for us. Over the summer, they lose soooo much because they don't touch a book! Plus, personally, I get antsy after about 1-2 weeks of not working... I just get bored, so I normally work over the summer anyways.

11. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Oct 28, 2010

I've thought that would be great for years. The large bulk of our time off is summer and down here in Fla. the heat dictates much of my activity. I would structure it 10 on 3 off four different times. Kids get 40 weeks instead of 36. Pay me at my same rate(nice raise). Kids are not out of the educ. loop so long and may retain better. As for day care. In the present economy someone will step up and offer the service or some of the teachers that need the $$ could offer the service, maybe even at school sites.

12. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 28, 2010

I think the concern about daycare, athletics, etc will not be that great of a problem. The park districts and other providers will just have to change to accommodate the schools! Otherwise, parents won't put their kids in during the summer when they have openings. It is hard for a smaller district to do if the neighboring districts aren't, but definitely possible in a larger district.

Summer jobs...well, that's hard to change.

13. Chalk

Chalk Companion

Oct 28, 2010

Sports will be condensed to a local level in which team will only be able to play teams in the same school schedule.

What I am concerned most about is continuity of learning.

How long does it take to get your students settled back in after summer break or Christmas Break or even Turkey day? imagine who much learnig time will be lost if you go to a year round system were every few weeks you have the the pre-vacation hyper build up in the kids followed by the post vacation after shocks and remotivation stage.

Further to this, I spend my summers going out to archeological projects and historical conferences to keep updating my knowledge and my artifact collection (I teach a great deal with artifacts). many of these are geared to fit normal college and high school schedules.

How about my AP kids who get to go to the college to gain credit while in HS, gone that program would be unless we demand they go during the breaks.

When do the kids have a clear transition from one grade to the next?

I ask, is this the best idea in regards to effective teaching and continuity of learning?

Won't this put parents under greater pressure since this is only affecting a small area while the country is majority of standard school years?

14. porque_pig

porque_pig Comrade

Oct 28, 2010

I would think that continuity of learning would be improved by YRE. Students don't have months to forget the information they learned the previous year. While there would be some vacation jitters, students would have improved retention.

I don't necessarily think that a "clear transition" would be best for students. Moving to a new classroom with a new teacher would be sufficient. The difference between grades is very artificial, and I think students wouldn't have such a hard time adapting to a new environment if they didn't have so much time to dwell on the changes they're about to face.

However, I do have similar concerns about opportunities to take college courses. I think those opportunities are important for a lot of students, and I'd hate to see that go by the wayside.

15. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Oct 28, 2010

This will be a huge issue. AP Exams are given across the nation on the same day at the same time (except the B exams) and as slow as the College Board operates, I don't see them changing to fit into a few schools that go year round. My AP students have to be ready on the first Friday in May and I don't see how I will able to get my students there going year round. As it is, my AP students work through breaks to get through the material.

Being in the state of Indiana, I am pretty sure the deciding factor of year round schools will be sports, primarily basketball.