Thoughts on this...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by FunSun11, Aug 24, 2016.

1. FunSun11

FunSun11 Rookie

Aug 24, 2016

The teaching job market around the area that I live is not ideal. They only way you are "in" is if you know someone, sub, or work as a instructional assistant. I have been on countless interviews every week for the past 4 months. I have been offered a per diem substitute position within one of the districts. It does not offer benefits however, the director of HR, stated I could work as an IA but the salary is $29,000 a year with benefits. I live on my own and I am unable to do so. She called me today, but I didn't get a chance to return her phone call. She left a message saying she may have some options I could work on. However, I feel that I need to pass this on as I need a stable steady position with benefits (even if it is outside of teaching). I feel guilty and worry that she may be upset if I decide to turn this down but this type of position is not ideal. I also don't want to burn bridges.

I do have some possible offers on non-teaching jobs. These jobs offers benefits and are stable.

I just need advice or just hear someone else's thoughts. TIA

3. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Aug 24, 2016

An assistant job for 29k with benefits sounds amazing!
    How is that not a "stable steady position with benefits"?
    Our assistants are hourly and it adds up to about $17k-$18k

MLB711, Caesar753, a2z and 1 other person like this.
  4. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 24, 2016

I don't know where you are located, but, around here, that salary isn't that much less than a first year, full-time teacher might make at a charter school or private school. No, it's not great pay, but it's better than a lot of paras/IAs make. Would you be able to supplement with a second job in the evenings or on the weekends? If you're not teaching full-time, then you probably won't be bringing home work and should be able to cut out at a reasonable time. This might just be the foot in the door that you need.

Caesar753 likes this.
  5. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Aug 24, 2016

Yeah, honestly, I'm a full-time 7th year (non public school) teacher with a Master's degree and I don't make that much more than that....... sadly.

6. FunSun11

FunSun11 Rookie

Aug 24, 2016

I live in the Philadelphia suburbs and the cost of living is not cheap. I live on my own and sadly that won't be doable.

7. FunSun11

FunSun11 Rookie

Aug 24, 2016

I thought about supplementing but it wont be that much more.

8. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 24, 2016

So what do first year teachers start at, on average, in your area? I'm honestly surprised an IA makes that much.

9. FunSun11

FunSun11 Rookie

Aug 24, 2016

It depends on the district…I believe $40,000-45,000

10. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Aug 24, 2016

Seriously, me too. Our IAs would die for that salary :D

11. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2016

Honestly if teaching is what you want to do, the more teaching experience is the only thing that will help. Working as a TA, sub, FT teacher, etc., is all better than any non -teaching job. I understand $'s an issue... it always is... but you have to think long - term here and say, "Hmmm... what will REALLY help and benefit my end goal." Really take a look at your budget and see what cutbacks you can make to live off $29 K. You were never going to make bank with a teaching job anyway, but it's something that can lead into something better later on, right?

I ALWAYS vote for teaching over non- teaching.

Caesar753 likes this.
  12. MissD59

MissD59 Comrade

Aug 25, 2016

The cost of living varies substantially throughout the country. In the NYC metro area suburbs, I was making close to $30,000 a year with benefits as a teacher assistant. I could not afford my bills, the cost of living is astronomical. What sounds like a high salary in one area may be borderline poverty wages in another. I watch HGTV and am often seething at the costs of houses across the country. When I was a teacher assistant, I could not pay my bills without dipping into savings.

13. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Aug 25, 2016

I make more than double that as a teacher and I can barely afford to get by, although I have students loans and a car payment and no roommate to split living expenses. There's no way I could live off of 29k even without my car & loans. I would be looking for something more lucrative. You have to survive.
    In my area, IAs start in the mid to high 30s and that's because the COL is much higher.

14. MissD59

MissD59 Comrade

Aug 25, 2016

This is a very personal decision, as it depends on a number of factors. How old are you? (You don't have to answer). When I was a Teacher Assistant, I was too old to be covered under my parents' health insurance, and Obamacare was RIDICULOUSLY expensive (I looked into it). The benefits were pretty valuable to me, where they might not have been to someone younger who could still be covered under their parents.

Sometimes working as a TA gets your foot in the door, other times it doesn't. It really depends on the district and principal. I did a lot of subbing as a TA (they would often pull me when they were short subs, as I was a certified teacher at the time), and they did send me to professional developments. This gave me some experience to talk about later on in job interviews that used the same programs as the school I had been working in.

I have also subbed per diem and as a building sub. I lived on my own during all of this as well, so I do understand. When I was a building sub in another district, I was one of four, so when job hunting season came around that year, the principal was VERY understanding when I had to go on interviews. She knew I wanted a full time position, but didn't have one for me, so she was very encouraging and helpful during my job hunt.

One thing you may want to think about is your state certification. In NY, you need to teach 3 years within 5 years to gain professional certification after your initial. Subbing per diem counts, while being a TA did not.

You could always be honest with the principal, or people at the school and explain that ultimately, your professional goals are to have your own classroom in the future, but take the job for now. Where I'm from, many TAs leave to take on leave replacements or classroom positions midyear. Every area is different.

Just some things to think about.

15. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Aug 25, 2016

If you want to leave teaching, take those other offers, if not, I'd take the IA job and find a second job to supplement.
    Other options are moving to a cheaper place and interviewing for jobs out there, or continue to interview until you find a better paying teaching job

bella84 likes this.
  16. a2z

a2z Maven

Aug 26, 2016

If you do want to teach and you know that there are only a few ways in, you need to go that route even if it means you work 2 jobs. An IA position won't have the extra work outside of school time that a teaching position does. So, if the IA position has benefits for the full year, it is worth considering.

There are other things you can do. You can look into getting roommates. Not the best option, but if you want teaching career sometimes you have to do what you have to do to get there. I know lots of people in my area who end up living with others to start out because of the cost of living (even in jobs not in teaching).

It can't hurt to listen to what she has to say.

bella84 likes this.
  17. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2016

You'd need to make $10k-15k more or so in order to get your salary up to that of a starting teacher. I think that you could probably pretty reasonably make that much with a part-time job, maybe at a tutoring center or as a private tutor even.

If it were me, I'd find a way to make that assistant position work for now.

bella84 and ChildWhisperer like this.
  18. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

Aug 27, 2016

This. Several years ago, I was in a somewhat similar position. I was offered a part time teaching position without benefits that was an even lower salary than your offer. I took the job to boost my resume/get my foot in the door and I waitressed at night around 4 nights a week. It was actually really good supplemental income - I made around $100 a night in tips and often more if I worked a Friday or Saturday night.