Thoughts on this article?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by kcjo13, Dec 12, 2013.

1. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 12, 2013

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 12, 2013

I want to sign up for a job like that!

4. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 12, 2013

How do I apply?

5. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Dec 12, 2013

Sounds great to me.

6. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Dec 12, 2013

I did that for 6 months. I made 50k a year, but it wasn't that intense. I only traveled to NYC once. It sounds great, but really it's not. It's very lonely-you are often the only adult home with the child all day. The parents have high demands but don't REALLY know what they want, so it's worse than a demanding principal-they can change their metrics for success anytime they want. Mine started out wanted me to take their child on field trips all the time and then switched to being very test-driven to keep up with their peers' children's test scores. There is also very little accountability at night. My tutoree would never do her homework. I arrived at 10 each morning due to the 2 hour each way commute, and she hadn't done any of the work I had ready for her to do that morning. But the family was super nice and genuine, and they really did want the best for their daughter.

It sounds great, but there are pros and cons like anything else. I think if you go into it, you really need a signed contract that states exactly how you will measure the child's success each quarter-tests, projects, field trips, etc. I didn't think of that ahead of time. Ah, the lessons we learn. ;)