Thoughts on teaching reading...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Mrs. Mom, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Jan 21, 2012

Please share your thoughts on best teaching strategies for third grade level reading classes. Our district doesn't have a definite method (whole group, leveled groups, centers, PALS, now maybe switching to Daily 5...) I am really confused.

I'd love to hear from someone who does Daily 5 in third grade or higher.

3. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jan 22, 2012

I do Daily 5 in 3rd grade. However, the district requires us to use Treasures. I've been able to successfully incorporate both and love them!

4. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Jan 22, 2012

Oh my goodness! I need to pick your brain! Can you give me a quick run-down how you fit it all in? I'm worried about getting in enough practice with comprehension skills practice and writing out "good" answers, and then spending so much time with just practicing reading skills. I mean, I know that if they can't read, they can't answer comp. questions, but it just seems like there is such a fine line between everything. What about story/selection tests in Treasures, and the bigger weekly assessments? Thanks in advance for whatever information you can give me.

5. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Jan 22, 2012

Also, are there any good websites out there that can guide a third grade teacher trying to learn to incorporate Treasures and Daily 5?

6. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Jan 22, 2012

I did Daily 5 and Jan Richardson guided reading in a 4th grade classroom. In most of the guided reading lessons, there is time at the end for students to write their answers to comprehension questions. Jan seemed very adamant (yes, she came to our school) about the students writing something in every guided reading group, at least in the upper grades. I am not sure about the lower ones. Also, you could add in a day of guided writing into the group's rotation.

We didn't have to use our basal readers once we switched over to Daily 5. I sometimes used them in the guided reading groups with the on-grade-level readers.

Daily 5 has a website called Daily Cafe. I honestly haven't used it much, but it might have some help for you.

7. sanjacteacher

sanjacteacher Rookie

Jan 23, 2012

In my small groups or with paired reading I use something called Comprehension Shuffle from the positive engagement project. The idea of Comprehension Shuffle is that the kids read a little and then explain what they just read to thier partner or group. The comprehension cards give the students a random comprehension skill to perform. There are 20 different comprehension skills and you (the teacher) decides how many and which ones to use. I like it because I could have a lower group who needs to focus on story elements and author's purpose (they only get a deck with those comprehension cards) and I could have a higher group work on story elements, author's purpose, summarizing, points of view, and sequencing (they get a deck with those cards). It's a free download from their site and it has some great ideas for each comprehension skill.