Thoughts on teaching first aid to elementary age kids?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Dmryan, Apr 1, 2018.

1. Dmryan

Dmryan New Member

Apr 1, 2018

Hello all,
    I wanted to get a feel from current teachers surrounding potentially teaching first aid to elementary age kids. Does your school have something similar? Have you had any emergencies at school that children were exposed to?
    Thank you.
    Dawn

3. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 2, 2018

My local park district and township office offers a course on this topic for kids. At the very least, K-3rd should know to cover a bleeding wound to slow blood and prevent infection, and call 911 for help, and basic safety stuff like avoiding shock from exposed and frayed electric cords and wet areas. You want them to get friends to safety without hurting themselves. Basically tossing a life raft or large stick to someone drowning, don't jump in if you can't swim. The idea is to keep others safe until help arrives.

4th-8th can benefit from ABCs of safety. Airway, bleeding and circulation. Learn about basic choking assistance, CPR and rescue breathing. The Red Cross offers classes on this. All ages can learn how to put on gloves and carefully clean up blood borne pathogens if someone vomits on their desk. If you have to wait for the custodian to bring you that barf bag powder, at least they can clean off their own shoes and a small area that may block the entrance/exit.

Preschool teachers need First Aid and CPR certification as a requirement of the job. You could take the course yourself, and ask the instructor for his opinion on the minimum skills elementary students can handle.

Obadiah and 3Sons like this.
  4. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Apr 2, 2018

Just to add, just because you believe you can swim doesn't mean that you should consider it safe to jump in with a drowning person. The water could be cold, and even if it's not cold drowning people sometimes act erratically and endanger the person who's trying to rescue them.

Obadiah likes this.
  5. Hokiegrad1993

Hokiegrad1993 Comrade

Apr 2, 2018

I have subbed a class where a child had constant seizures. The students were instructed on what to do when it happens. One made sure he laid on his side, one got a pillow and another ran and got the nurse.

Obadiah likes this.
  6. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 2, 2018

Usually there’s a First Aid or Emergency Committee at every school. Brownie points for you if you suggest starting one. ;)

Most schools require every class to have a first aid kit, and regular checks for replacing supplies. You need a blanket & water bottles too.

You could do double duty by starting a program for staff, and then use your research & materials to teach your students.

Obadiah likes this.
  7. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Apr 3, 2018

I agree. Every student should learn safety basics. I do think CPR needs to be upper elementary, where students are old enough to understand it isn't performed unless there is no pulse. They also need to be able to understand that the Heimlich maneuver is used when a person is unable to cough out the obstruction. In other words, too much too soon is just as dangerous as doing nothing. (Without getting political, might I add that medically, I don't think CPR is the ultimate solution to school shooting situations, which has recently been advised on the news). Above all, learning first aid is another lesson in empathy and altruism, which is probably the most important outcome of the lessons.

8. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Apr 3, 2018

Just thought of this. Kids (and adults) need to learn that 711 is not a non-emergency number for the police or ambulance. It's the number for a state's relay service, usually Traditional Relay using a TTY (TDD), for the Deaf, hard of hearing, or those with difficulty speaking to be able to use a telephone. They do have a way to transfer the call to 911, but it goes through 2 or more operators before reaching the emergency operator; it's faster to dial 911. (It's not a speed dial for the 7-11 Store, either). [I know someone who worked for a relay service].